Nakamichi CA-5

Options
MillerLiteScott
MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
edited December 2007 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Nakamichi CA-5 Pre-amp for sale Sold

I bought this from Mark to get my 2 channel system up and running. It is an excellent pre and is in like new condition. It has has a built in phono section with adjustable mm and mc options. Very simple and basic pre designed for the reproduction of music and not bells and whistles. It was built in Japan when Nakamichi was still making good gear. It has three heavy guage pure copper rails that carry the power instead of printed circuit foil and a shielded power transformer. The volume control is a precision 31 step attenuator and has a quality feel that is immediately noticeable. This unit works flawlessly and sounds neutral.

I have a color catalogue cut sheet for the pre and associated amp and tuner, stock power cord and as a bonus a Nakamichi remotely controlled power strip to plug in your other componets to be turned on with the pre power button. I do not have the original box.

Unit will be double boxed when shipped.

Thanks for looking.

Scott
I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
Post edited by MillerLiteScott on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2007
    Options
    SMOKING solid state pre-amp and Scott is rock solid....but smells funny in person.

If you look at it internally, it's a gorgeous design and dual mono construction. The last of the high-end Nak.

There are some pics in the original advertisment...do a search.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I've been trying to find a deal on one of those with the matching PA-7 for a while. Nice preamp.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Thanks Mark.

I added a picture of the guts to the 1st post.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I'll throw my .02c in, I've owned one new since (1987) and I still have it because it's a great high end pre-amp with an incredible phono section. I have yet to find anything for less than about $1500 that will best it. Great design, superb construction and high quality parts. Anyone looking to build a 2 ch system with seperates this is the pre-amp to get it done.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the endorsement H9. I bought this unit based on your evaluation from a Polkie get together last year.

Scott
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I'll throw my .02c in, I've owned one new since (1987) and I still have it because it's a great high end pre-amp with an incredible phono section. I have yet to find anything for less than about $1500 that will best it. Great design, superb construction and high quality parts. Anyone looking to build a 2 ch system with seperates this is the pre-amp to get it done.

H9

+100

I was part of that Polkie get together you speak of and now own a CA-5 for my 2-channel system.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Sold.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited December 2007
    Options
    who snagged it?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Where are the tubes???;):p:D

Congrats on the sale
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    who snagged it?

My brother......blakeh. :)
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited December 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    My brother......blakeh. :)

Still a salesman, eh Brock? You get commission on that?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • blakeh
    blakeh Posts: 491
    edited December 2007
    Options
    I received the CA-5 in the mail today from Scott. It was in perfect condition (just as described) and packed extremely well. He was responsive to my emails and set the unit out ASAP.

Great seller! Thanks Scott.

P.S. The unit sounds great!
  • heiney9
    edited December 2007
    Options
    blakeh wrote: »
    I received the CA-5 in the mail today from Scott. It was in perfect condition (just as described) and packed extremely well. He was responsive to my emails and set the unit out ASAP.

Great seller! Thanks Scott.

P.S. The unit sounds great!

Would I steer you wrong? Seriously, just got off the phone with Blake and not only was he very happy with the transaction but also was quite happy with the improvement the pre made. One of the sleepers for sure!!!!

H9
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited December 2007
    Options
    Very easy smooth transaction. I am glad Blake likes the pre. It is a nice piece.

Scott