Amp info

Davidv
Davidv Posts: 94
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Ok,
I know that there is a huge debate going on about amps here, but I am wondering if there is any source for amplifier info. As in how they work, how they are hooked up and lastly what are the good brand names? If there is such a thing as a good brand name. I am not trying to start a 3 page debate. I just want basic info. :) Thank you in advance for your knowledge on this subject.
Beer on tap is great, until the keg runs dry and the liqour store is closed!:D

Post edited by Davidv on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    David,

I would suggest doing a search here, audioasylum or even a yahoo search or something. There is literally TONS of information.

On the same note, there are LOTS of reputable amp manufacturers. I wouldn't go so far as to say there are 'good' or 'bad' amps, only opinion.

That may be kind of general in scope but hopefully it's a start.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2003
    Though I believe that what you're after is the basics, I thought this article had some pretty good explanations of what some of the specifications associated with power amps, mean. And if you hit the "Return to articles index" link at the top of that page, you can find this one that talks about the basics of how amps work.

That other thread concerning amps started out as a good question but has now deteriorated into a fight. Despite the way it looks sometimes, there are some really sharp people on here who can give you good answers, if you have more specific questions. I'm not necessarily one of them...but I'll be glad to try to help.

Jason
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Here is a very basic article on amps and how they work How Amps Work
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Davidv
    Davidv Posts: 94
    edited February 2003
    Thank you all for the info. I now have some light reading to do. Thanks again.
    David
    Beer on tap is great, until the keg runs dry and the liqour store is closed!:D