CD Player Burn in

Options
dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
edited February 2003 in Electronics
I picked up a Rotel RCD1070 yesterday and I'm wondering how much better it will sound after the burn in. Right now, it sounds pretty good but the vocals are a little vailed and back. Will that change much? I've tried a few different interconnects (Chord and Kimber Hero) but it's probably too early to be auditioning cables, I think.

This is my first burn in, so I'm curious to see the difference. Any insight?

Thanks.

Derick.

Rotel RCD1070
Denon AVR2802
RT1000i
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    what do you think there is to burn in?

scott:cool:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I don't really think there are burn-in issues with a cd player, BUT, I have noticed on some players that they seem to 'settle' in after a couple hours.

It's probably nothing, but it is almost as if after the player is un-packed, and finally setup and left 'still', it sounds a little better. Not just new players, but any player that has moved/transported.

Could just be more audio voodoo/doodoo, not sure.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thats a fine cd player you bought there.Kimber Heo's huh.After you allow the Player to go threw it's "voodoo/doodoo".Let me know what you think about the Hero's.I heard many good things about them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I've read to break in your cd player, you let it run for at least 48 hours some even say 200 hours. I imaging it's to get all of the component inside broken in like you do with a new car.

Not sure on the details though.

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options

• mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Yes the Hero's,let me know what you think of them.
    Dan
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Sorry Mantis, I thought that was a question.:lol:

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I think Rotel recomends 100 hours for 'burn in' - and it should be 100 hours of regular use, not on all day every day for 4 days. ;)

I can't say that I've noticed a big difference after time with my player. The biggest difference I noticed was a change in interconnects and a comparison with my H/K using outboard DACs. The Rotel Kicked ****. heh

Check the bass on your receiver and maybe turn it down a notch or two if you don't have it flat. The first thing I noticed about the 1070 compared to my H/K was a much fuller more acurate bass which in a sense made the vocals sound as you describe them. If you have your bass on the receiver at 2 or 3 o'clock like I did, try it at 1 or 2 o'clock or flat.
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    It's warming up and sounds better today. I posted this at work today :D and hadn't listened to it after last night.

Phuz, I know what you mean with the bass, I keep the tone defeat on, so no bass or teble modification and it's a lot deeper and accurate. Midrange much fuller, imaging is awesome and soundstage much wider. Overall, it's great so far and can only get better. I haven't switched the interconnects yet. Probably tonight.

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by dcarlson
    Kimber Cable Hero

http://www.kimber.com/hero.htm

WTF is "GyroQuadratic field geometry"?????

Confused I am!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2003
    Options
    HBombToo: I guess it's safe to say you are not a marketing consultant. HaHa.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • HBombToo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The hair on the back of my neck stands on end and my palms form puddles when I get anywhere close to a marketeer!

Just can't shake it man.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I have to say my speakers are alive. :D

And the hero is? the Heros. Cheese. The Heros sound real neutral and warm. Pluck Bass sounds awesome.

The Chord cables were bass heavy and a little flat.

The Rotel Kicks ****.. I couldn't be happier right now. It's taken a long time for me to get here and the Rotel completes my system to the point where I can now just sit back, listen and enjoy. :)

Derick.

• mantis
    edited February 2003
    Options
    you know I just gotta try the Hero's for myself.Forever have I had a small fedish for Kimber,but never had a good deal to get into them.
    Glad to see they are doing your system justice.
    Dan
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Options
    A little pricy for me at CAN$240. When I picked up the CD player they were out of the Kimber PBJs priced a CAN$150. They did have a set of Silver Streak at CAN$499 but that's way out of my price range.

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2003
    Options
    I don't believe burn in is an issue for CD players. What gets "burned in"? The laser? The wires? The chips? Remember, you're talking about digital audio. That would be 1 and 0's. If there was a problem reading the 1's and 0's, you would definitely know it right out of the box. Where does Rotel recommend burning in your CD player? It's not in the manual.
  • HBombToo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by wallstreet
    I don't believe burn in is an issue for CD players. What gets "burned in"? The laser? The wires? The chips? Remember, you're talking about digital audio. That would be 1 and 0's. If there was a problem reading the 1's and 0's, you would definitely know it right out of the box. Where does Rotel recommend burning in your CD player? It's not in the manual.

I agree!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited February 2003
    Options
    The output caps on the output analog section need to form. I rebuilt the crossovers on my Maggies and the Solen caps took 100 hours before they sounded their best.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    Options
    horse puckie!! Burn in on cd players, Burn in wires, come on just use the damm thing, if it sounds like @ss return it, who comes up with this **** anyways.... Burn In smurn in, LOL lOL does this sum it up??

I don't want anyone telling me, NO faster actually their is a Burn In on such and such, Bull i don't believe it..... period!!

Ok then, faster steps off the soap box, kicks the sales guy who mentioned Burn In in the first place, and walks out the door grumbleing " Burn In smurn in" I wanna like it from the get go, not 200 hours later...... :):):) LOL ok then
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • HBombToo
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by tonyv1
    The output caps on the output analog section need to form. I rebuilt the crossovers on my Maggies and the Solen caps took 100 hours before they sounded their best.

I guess I can see a very small change in the dielectric between the plates of a cap due to heat... but.... how much change??? the variation has to be so small as not to change the capacitance by any magnitudethat I can't imagine a radical change in the sound.

A CD Transport is all digital so I really can't imagine a large change but I'll make a deal here. I'll be purchasing a dv-47a soon and I'll keep an ear open for changes but I'll predict I don't hear any change.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***