NY/NJ Holiday Get Together?

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited December 2007 in Gatherings & Special Events
Was just wondering if anyone here is interested in a NY/NJ get together for the holidays, as I feel bad for not being able to make it to Sal's Halloween Party this October.

So - how about a holiday get together for all Polkies?
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2007
    I'm interested as long as I have the day off.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Face wrote: »
    I'm interested as long as I have the day off.

Well, it would be sometime over the holidays :)

So yes, it would be on a day off.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited November 2007
    appadv wrote: »
    Was just wondering if anyone here is interested in a NY/NJ get together for the holidays, as I feel bad for not being able to make it to Sal's Halloween Party this October.
    Damn, I thought that was a done deal? ^^^^
    So - how about a holiday get together for all Polkies?

I actually started contacting a few people for this, but figured with space constraints here that I'd have to limit this to a handful of people. Maybe the Friday night after X-mas (28th)? Nothing serious or anything, just a small two or three hour thing?
    I was also maybe leaning towards Wed. Jan 2, 2008 as a possible, though I'm sure I'm probably the only one on the East coast with that night off.

All still up in the air, though; feel free to throw out some suggestions.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited November 2007
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Friday night after X-mas (28th)?

I can make the 28th. I have a few goodies that I can bring (Parasound pre and amps, Benchmark DAC, LSi7's or 15's or both!
    Wed. Jan 2, 2008

Crickets...
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    I'm pretty much available from the 25th to the first week of January.

Have we decided on a location?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• polrbehr
    edited November 2007
    I'm pretty much available from the 25th to the first week of January.

Have we decided on a location?

Well, yeah (see my last post)...
    I am offering my location. The only question remaining is whether I will let anyone *inside or not :eek:

*Hint: Follow m00npies' lead, and offer to bring some stuff with you :D
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Face
    edited November 2007
    Well, it would be sometime over the holidays :)
    Considering I've worked 16 hours on Christmas almost every year for the last 9... :p
    Maybe the Friday night after X-mas (28th)? Nothing serious or anything, just a small two or three hour thing?
    I was also maybe leaning towards Wed. Jan 2, 2008 as a possible, though I'm sure I'm probably the only one on the East coast with that night off.
    Either one of those days work. I can bring some cables. ;) Also my DAC. Depending on how my back is, I may be able to bring other items.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Either of those days will work for me too.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• m00npie
    edited November 2007
    polrbehr - My cousin has gone the route of using pro-amps for his HT rig. I'm trying to see if he'll let me bring them so we can get a comparison. Also, do you have plans or the space or the blessing from the boss to setup a temporary 2-channel rig?

Face - I'd like to bring my Earthquake amp, can you lift it for me :D
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    I'd like to bring my HTPC and Def Techs. Is that OK?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• polrbehr
    edited November 2007
    m00npie wrote: »
    polrbehr - My cousin has gone the route of using pro-amps for his HT rig. I'm trying to see if he'll let me bring them so we can get a comparison. Also, do you have plans or the space or the blessing from the boss to setup a temporary 2-channel rig?

I would be happy to do an A/B of some different gear, but I think this get-together
    would not be the best time, as we will still have our house loaded with Christmas (can I say that??) decorations and stuff. Any time before, or after, that is cool with me, though.

As for two-channel; what's that?? (gets into asbestos-lined clothing)
    I already have a small rig set up in the basement, so that would be OK if you want to set up something down there. Just keep in mind, I am not even close to having it finished, so the acoustics on unfinished, studded walls and concrete floors may not be conducive to good sounds. I'm still working on it, so by the time the 28th gets here, who knows?
    Face - I'd like to bring my Earthquake amp, can you lift it for me :D
    Sure, bring it over if you want! Just one caveat... the windows in my living room will cost you about $1000 when you break them ;).

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    I would be happy to do an A/B of some different gear, but I think this get-together
    would not be the best time, as we will still have our house loaded with Christmas (can I say that??) decorations and stuff. Any time before, or after, that is cool with me, though.

As for two-channel; what's that?? (gets into asbestos-lined clothing)
    I already have a small rig set up in the basement, so that would be OK if you want to set up something down there. Just keep in mind, I am not even close to having it finished, so the acoustics on unfinished, studded walls and concrete floors may not be conducive to good sounds. I'm still working on it, so by the time the 28th gets here, who knows?

Sure, bring it over if you want! Just one caveat... the windows in my living room will cost you about $1000 when you break them ;).

That would be great!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,500
    edited November 2007
    I'll try my damndest to make it, wherever it is. certainly close enough for me to bring some goodies. got plenty of stuff laying around. Tube gear, passive pre's, I got a Carver m4.0, a CAL DX1 cd player. the JBL Urei amp that has floated from member to member......whatever is needed or wanted, i'll do my best. keep me in the loop
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • polrbehr
    edited November 2007
    ohskigod wrote: »
    I'll try my damndest to make it, wherever it is. certainly close enough for me to bring some goodies. got plenty of stuff laying around. Tube gear, passive pre's, I got a Carver m4.0, a CAL DX1 cd player. the JBL Urei amp that has floated from member to member......whatever is needed or wanted, i'll do my best. keep me in the loop

Will do. I can PM with directions if you think you can make it.

FYI, I am about 70 miles east of NYC (see my "location" tagline).

The good part is that after Exit 60, you should have clear sailing, even on a Fri. night :).

• Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Will do. I can PM with directions if you think you can make it.

FYI, I am about 70 miles east of NYC (see my "location" tagline).

The good part is that after Exit 60, you should have clear sailing, even on a Fri. night :).

What's the best way to get there from the Brooklyn/Queens area?

You can PM me.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• m00npie
    edited November 2007
    Helicopter...

But if you don't roll with the business elite and can't throw down the 3500.00 round trip, then take the LIE to the end and he'll give you directions from there.
  • Serendipity
    edited November 2007
    Helicopter...

But if you don't roll with the business elite and can't throw down the 3500.00 round trip, then take the LIE to the end and he'll give you directions from there.

Haha, I'm more familiar with directions in the city than I am with Long Island.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Face
    edited November 2007
    On a Friday night, you better leave at 3pm. :D
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited November 2007
    Face wrote: »
    On a Friday night, you better leave at 3pm. :D

would be perfect to enjoy 495. :D
  • polrbehr
    edited December 2007
    No replies via PM or in this thread for quite awhile, so... maybe some other time?

As it turned out, it would have been a bad night to have a get-together for me anyway, so

I will post something when I can do this without serious risk of cancellation.

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2007
    When are we doing this? Or are we doing this?
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Boy you NY & NJ guys suck. We invited all five states in the area when we had our get togethers!!!

Boooo, Hisssssssssss, Bronx cheer!!!:p:D;)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited December 2007
    NC Rocks!
    Come and git some grits in March!!!!:cool:
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited December 2007
    mmmmmmmm grits!!!!
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    When are we doing this? Or are we doing this?

That's what I've been trying to figure out...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited December 2007
    Maybe it's better to wait until spring or summer. NY isn't exactly all that fun in the winter (unless you are skiing) and BBQin isn't all that fun in the winter either.
  • Serendipity
    edited December 2007
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Maybe it's better to wait until spring or summer. NY isn't exactly all that fun in the winter (unless you are skiing) and BBQin isn't all that fun in the winter either.

Depends...

The weather doesn't matter to me when I'm listening to great gear!
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• polrbehr
    edited December 2007
    Boy you NY & NJ guys suck. We invited all five states in the area when we had our get togethers!!!

Boooo, Hisssssssssss, Bronx cheer!!!:p:D;)

As I stated , there's been no thread activity or interest shown whatsoever for almost

a month. So if I didn't post anything, who would've come? Only two that I am aware of.

Anyone would have been welcome to show up, J, including you; I only wanted to keep this

one small due to the usual holiday madness.

I will still plan on hosting an event here, maybe once the weather gets a little better. *

*even Philly Phans are welcome... maybe :rolleyes:;)

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited December 2007
    You localish people are always welcome to swing by my joint any time, if you happen to be passing through central PA :D. I'm right off Rt 80....
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2007
    Rt 80, isn't that where they filmed the movie Deliverance?:D