Theoretically speakering

Options
trubluluc
trubluluc Posts: 2,067
edited November 2001 in Technical/Setup
Guys...

Wondering if rather than bolting speakers to
walls, or setting them on the floor, it would be better to suspend them from the ceiling on vibration suspressed cord.
I mean, is sound vibration lost and a dead spot created through the place where they contact a denser surface, (walls, floors).

-luc
Post edited by trubluluc on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited November 2001
    Options
    This is interesting, because you see suspended speakers in clubs and concert halls. I know that here in Baltimore, the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, which has awesome sound, has suspended speakers above the stage. I'm eager to see what people have to say about this. Anyone?

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • trubluluc
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Well Micah, I guess it wasn't as interesting a question as I thought. But it is one that I have wondered about.
    It may just be an easy way to fix speakers over head so as to save floorspace.(as in clubs and halls)
    In any event I am sure just as with heat, a certain amount of energy is lost through conduction. It is interesting that audiophiles will spend thousands of dollars isolating, and insulating signals to the speakers, but really not put much into protecting the signal once it has reached the speaker.

hear ye, hear ye,

-luc
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I wouldn't say that it isn't interesting, however, for me anyway, it isn't even close to being practical or aesthetically pleasing.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I can answer this honestly as I put peaker's in everyday.Rule#1 place the mains and center around the screen.The front tweeter's ned to be as close to the same height as possible.Even distance for the mains from the screen.
    Rears????now ths is where it get's fun.Mono pole work best slightly behind seating about 2 to 3 feet above the listener's ears.Also work well on back wall.When you get speaker's to high up you loose the effect of movement.sound sems to unnatural.To low will do the same thing.I have hung speaker's on bracket's off the ceiling and it sounded terrible.But trying it out isn't a bad idea.Placement of speaker's are personal,but you need to start with perfect world irst then add in reality and hear the changes in performance.Placement can give life to a speaker or kill it.It's a hard long road,if esthetics are a more important then sound quality then you have already lost.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2001
    Options
    "Aesthetics are only important until the lights go down and the movie begins"
    madmax (2001)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • trubluluc
    edited November 2001
    Options
    I can appreciate what Troy is talking about.
    It is clear that I have left the realm of "living room" and ventured into speaker demo room.
    But...
    Your advice is sound and practical.

-Luc
  • trubluluc
    edited November 2001
    Options
    It is clear we follow the same star.

-luc