Monitor 11T any good?

Options
raudi
raudi Posts: 54
edited November 2007 in Speakers
Newbie here,

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of RTA 11T's for about $150. From searching this site and the web they seem to be decent enough for what I'm looking for. I was just wondering if anyone could give some feedback/opinion on these speakers. They'll be used 50/50 for HT and Music.

Also I'll be using my Onkyo 605 to power these. Not sure if the 95wpc is enough or I'll need to pick up a 2 channel to power them. Maybe these can be bi-amped?

TIA.
Post edited by raudi on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Welcome,,,11T's are nice speaks,,price seems fair,depending on condition,good luck and have fun.

Edit,,11T's were my first pair if floorstanders,,your receiver should be capable of driving them,,play around with placement and I think that you will be surprised.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I love mine
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • mlastarza
    mlastarza Posts: 32
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I've had my RTA 11T's for 17 years and have been very pleased. Currently using a Yamaha RX-V661 AV receiver (90w/ch) to drive them with good results, however, I just purchased an Adcom gfa 555 amp (200w/ch) on audiogon and look forward to hooking it up when it comes in.
    MWL
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Welcome Raudi & MWL.

The RTA series are good speakers. My RTA 8T's are also 17 yrs old & going strong.

I don't think you can biamp them. But they will definately appreciate & sound better with more power.

Be sure to report back on the differences that you hear MWL.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! One more question, is the RTA 11 6 or 8ohms speakers? Just want to make sure I don't present my reciever with too low of a draw and blow it.
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    http://www.polksda.com/rta11t.shtml

All the info you could ever want!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I had a pair of 11T's for close to 20 years, very nice speaks. Tall slender great bass and outstanding imaging.

Few very minor complaints are the sl2000 tweeter which can get harsh sounding because of the +5dB peak at around 13kHz. Polk offers a silk dome replacement that is much smoother and all around a better tweet; if you ae interested.

The sweet spot is fairly small so to get the best imaging you need to be about the same distance away from them as they are apart. Stray too far off the mark and the soundstage collapses a bit.

They are 6 ohm nominal and just about anything can drive them, they are not a difficult load, so no worries there. $150 is a very good price.

Enjoy

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I bought mine for $ 150.00 and they are not going anywhere.

Enjoy.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys!
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    other than the tweeter, any other recommended upgrades to the speakers?
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited October 2007
    Options
    The tweeter replacement is the easiest and will have the biggest impact. A lot of people find it worthwhile to rebuild the crossovers. I did it and was very pleased with the results. Enjoy, those are nice vinatge Polks.
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited October 2007
    Options
    raudi wrote: »
    other than the tweeter, any other recommended upgrades to the speakers?

If you are at all technically inclined the x-overs in those 20 year old speakers could use refreshing. It's a pretty straight forward job that many have documented. It surely makes them sound good as new.

I've done both the tweeter replacement and x-over upgrade on a pair of 5b's as well as a pair of SDA 1C's.

I'm guessing to get the parts (Solen capacitors and Mills resistors) it probably around $50-60 in parts. The tweets (RD0194-1) are $102/pr shipped to your door with the Club Polk discount.

If I were going to do just one upgrade the tweeters are by far the best bang for the buck. Of course this can be done is stages w/ the tweeters being first, IMO.

Good luck

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited October 2007
    Options
    raudi, are you talking Monitor 11s or RTA 11Ts?

http://www.polksda.com/monitor11.shtml

http://www.polksda.com/rta11t.shtml

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    He's talking about the RTA 11T's.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I actually liked the sound when a small block was placed under the front of the speaker giving a bit more tilt........to the RTA

RT1
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote: »

Sorry, I know my thread title and post say 2 different things. I have the RTA 11Ts. Just went ahead and picked them up a few mins ago. They're in pristine condition. Not even the veneer is peeling. :D Anyway I'll go ahead and do the tweeter upgrade and research the x-over upgrade later.
  • Ron Temple
    edited October 2007
    Options
    That's what I thought...I've heard the 11Ts over at Fred's, unfortunately only as surrounds, but then fredv is using 15TLs, 11Ts and Monitor 10s in a 7.1 setup...talk about running your HT large...:p Anyway, congrats, the 11s look like the RTA 8s on steroids, which I was very impressed with.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited October 2007
    Options
    They have a very focused image. I ususally use a Diana Krall song to set the toe on them to make sure they sound just right. I put the RDO-194's in mine and they sound great and that was with only two 25 watt ASL mono blocks.

I also took the box base off and made my own feet for them which greatly improved the looks and made them look more modern IMO.

Enjoy.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Well they're just sitting in my car now, I wish I could go home early, but I'll be stuck at work for a few more hours. Can't wait to hook them up.

BTW, I like how you painted them black. I'll probably do the same at a later date.
  • Ron Temple
    edited October 2007
    Options
    tick tock, tick tock..."I think I've got some great speakers"...tick, tock...get your **** home.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I did not paint them black. Mine are black. I did paint my 2B's end caps black but that is another story.

Scott
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Well got home and set them up. Messed with the settings on my reciever to get it dialed in for movies and music. Still working out a few bugs with the receiver(onkyo 605), but overall the speakers are great! Although the wife was complaining that they're too big(she thinks i should have bought Bose!).

Anyway, I'll post pics of them later.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Good to see you are warming her up for the day the SRS appear.........hehehehehe
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Picked me up a pair couple weeks ago and am loving them for my 2 chnl. I must have tons of wax in my ears or something but i love the sound of the sl2000. Maybe its just the music i listen to or somthing. Enjoy

P
    Life without music would
  • Ron Temple
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I didn't have any problem with the SL2000s either. The RDOs are better, but it's not, to my ears, night and day. I never found them fatigueing...not like the RTi tweeter. Blasphemy...I know.:p

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • cfrizz
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Another one here who still has the SL2000's. They sound just fine to me as well.
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Here's some pics of them hooked up to my HT.

speak1sj3.jpg
    speakyu0.jpg
    speak2xs0.jpg
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2007
    Options
    your speakers are in great looking condition.. congrats!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • raudi
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yup, the previous owner kept them in great condition over the years. Not a scratch on them.
  • MillerLiteScott
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Very nice. They are a lot of speaker in a small foot print. This helps with the WAF if that applies or will apply.

Enjoy.

Scott