Monitor 11T any good?

Options
13»

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2007
    Options
    keeps going and going and going, maybe some flomax would help.............

RT1
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited October 2007
    Options
    keeps going and going and going, maybe some flomax would help.............

RT1

Like the Energizer Bunny..................
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Yashu
    Yashu Posts: 772
    edited October 2007
    Options
    He sure is... I wish he would actually post something relevant to the thread at least 66% of the time. I can accept a 33% OT rate, but damn, Reel, the thread has a topic... you need to remember that at least 66% of the time, otherwise, you are, as you admitted in a previous thread, just a troll.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yashu wrote: »
    He sure is... I wish he would actually post something relevant to the thread at least 66% of the time. I can accept a 33% OT rate, but damn, Reel, the thread has a topic... you need to remember that at least 66% of the time, otherwise, you are, as you admitted in a previous thread, just a troll.

Well, f**K man, why don't you just go BUY some SF's?? Considering that they are in a completely different market segment and all. C'mon, compare apples to apples for chrissakes.

Would it make you feel better if the sides of the LSi's were screwed on? I mean, what friggin' difference would it make? Have you heard of any of them falling off? Me neither.

Jaysus on a bicycle. We get it, you think Polk sucks. Fine. Let it go already. You happen to be a minority opinion. Deal with it.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Options
    But what you are babbling about Yashu, has nothing to do with the topic. Why don't you find some nice high end board to go comiserate on with others who miss the old days of furniture grade big a$$ speakers.

The market is what it is. You are not going to change it, least of all on this board.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited October 2007
    Options

I wasn't referring to RT
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited October 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to RT

It was clear to most of us...

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yazoo...........the fellow posts about his find and you rant about rti and lsi and go on and on and on, you have going problem............you are just tooting your kazoo trying to suck other members into whatever arguement you can, whether it be insulting comments about the speakers we own or tying a disguised cable debate and we are not buying anything from you.

You have shown your true colors cochise.

Enjoy your JBL speakers.

RT1--out
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Another one to add to the ignore list!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Just checking in to say i am still enjoying my 11t's. Although i had to read a bunch of crap along the way :p
    :D:D:D:D

P
    Life without music would
  • Yashu
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I never said polk sucks. I think they make good speakers, and they made good speakers. They have a rich heritage in offering the midrange market high end solutions.

I said I hate the RTi's tweeter... that was about it, besides the fact that they glued the wood on the side of the LSi (and yes, screws would be better, I used to spend a lot of time in a shop and I have built many things, so build quality is important).

What I said is 100% relevant because the OP bought a set of speakers that truly show what polk used to offer to the consumer. Take a look at those speakers and you cannot help but see the quality and beauty. I am sure they sound just as good as they look. After the RDOs (hopefully not based on the RTi design), they will sound even better.
  • raudi
    raudi Posts: 54
    edited October 2007
    Options
    So any suggestions on placing these things? I've moved some of the furniture around and have them about 8' apart with about 6" of space from the wall. I'll probably be sitting around 10-12' away from the setup. Also i read a post on here that I might have the adjust the toe of the speakers to get the best out of them?
  • TroyD
    edited October 2007
    Options
    There is too many variables to say 'do this' or 'do that' generally speaking, I would bring them out a foot or so from the wall (again, if you want more bass reinforcement, put them closer)...toe them in so that the are pointing at the listening area and set a block under the front and tilt them back a bit (poor man's time alignment)

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I never said polk sucks. I think they make good speakers, and they made good speakers. They have a rich heritage in offering the midrange market high end solutions.

I said I hate the RTi's tweeter... that was about it, besides the fact that they glued the wood on the side of the LSi (and yes, screws would be better, I used to spend a lot of time in a shop and I have built many things, so build quality is important).

What I said is 100% relevant because the OP bought a set of speakers that truly show what polk used to offer to the consumer. Take a look at those speakers and you cannot help but see the quality and beauty. I am sure they sound just as good as they look. After the RDOs (hopefully not based on the RTi design), they will sound even better.

You never said Polk sucks?

They have abandoned thier heritage...they sell at Fry's....only designed for HT...that doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement either. Not to mention, that what you said has little basis in fact, just your opinion.

It it's class, Polk cabinetry is second to none. Period. And it is BETTER than it used to be. Sorry, but the fit and finish on my vintage Polks is not on par with what they are doing now. Again, if the damn sides aren't falling off, what frigging difference does it make how they are attached?

You know, I've tried to keep an open mind. If you want your opinion, fine. However, don't keep harping on it. You said it, we don't agree. Plus, I could do without the condescending tone.

BDT
  • reeltrouble1
    edited October 2007
    Options
    yes, BDT the tone is what it's really all about, he is a JBL man.

Fact it some of your statements Yashu reveal how little you actually know about Polk, its speakers or its heritage..........pure chest pounding.

RT1
  • Yashu
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Troy D, you should run for public office, you do quite a good job at taking select words and spinning them to your own ends. I never said polk sucks, I never said that being sold at frys was bad, infact, I said this was good as it gave the average consumer access to quality speakers... and designed for HT, what the hell is wrong with one speaker line (RTi) being designed for HT? HT is huge and only becoming more important. I merely said that RTi was not designed for music in mind, that LSi was what polk intended to be the 2 channel prodigy in their lineup. That IS fact... It is in polk's own literature, it is on both fry's and tweeter's websites...

It seems you are the one with repressed issues with polk... dunno what they are, but taking what I said out of context certainly won't help, and it only goes towards my name being cast in a bad light for no reason. If your mind was truly open, you would have, you know, saw more than just what you wanted to see, and actually read everything that I said. It sounds more like your mind is closed, when someone only skims through something to pick out words or phrases that suit your ends, whatever they are.

I maintain what I said, that the RTi lineup was designed with HT in mind. I maintain that LSi was polk's current answer to the high end, and I also maintain what I said that polk, being available at places like frys, provides the consumer with choices that have a higher quality than what is "normal" at these places.

I also maintain that polk's current lineup doesn't continue their heritage as far as the way they design speakers. Who can't agree to that? Do you see a single modern polk speaker that looks like the ones the OP bought? No! I never said this was bad, I said it was interesting. I find it interesting when a bookshelf speaker, for example, needs more space than a hulking tower from an older lineup. This IS interesting to me, but I never said it was bad or good. I try to always maintain a neutral bias and merely observe. What is more interesting than speakers sometimes is what people seem to read into simple observations. Why you read negativity in mine? Not sure, but it doesn't change my observations, nor does it change the facts, that the LSi line need, not only much more room than the actual speaker footprint, but also much more power, than in previous TOTL models. I find it interesting how artificially forward the RTi tweeter is, but it is easy to see why, since the tweeter was designed for a speaker meant to be in a top notch home theater, where that kind of freq. response is often seen as an advantage, not a disadvantage. The tweeter used in the LSi series, is not nearly as forward... which would make sense, since these speakers are what polk recommends as their best speaker for music, where a non-fatiguing, natural presentation is more warranted.

Please try to read before you comment next time, Troy, as there is no malicious intent with my words... merely observation, facts, and actual compliments. Polk STILL provides value to the consumer. Polk STILL has the best game in town at the big box stores. Polk evolved for a new market, separating the best for HT and music into TWO different lines (aside from their other lower end entry models), and anyone with any business sense can see why they did this. It doesn't mean that I cannot wish for a bookshelf speaker that doesn't need both a stand AND 3 feet of space all around for it to sound it's best, when previous designs had monolithic towers that needed less space AND could be placed against a wall (due to the use of tuned PRs in the front). But, in this day of computer designed speakers, where we now do have the power to work out proper port design and tuning, PRs have gone by the wayside. The thing is, I feel like, polk is aware of this, that yes, they could keep building large speakers and such, but people just don't buy large speakers these days... the perception of being small is something the market wants, stands and breathing room aside, and ports allow for smaller speakers, but there are always trade-offs. Sure, we audiophiles are aware of all of this... we gladly put the 9s on stands and place them far from any wall, but will the average consumer?

At least the average consumer has access to speakers like polk's in the first place, I just hope they are aware of all the things that we are... but the part about splitting the lines into two, one for HT and one for music... this is a good thing. The RTis don't even cost as much as the LSi, so I don't even know why you are complaining... if you love them with music, then be happy that you saved money.
  • TroyD
    edited November 2007
    Options
    I have no issues with Polk and I certainly have no issues using the King's English.

I'm not the one bitching about Polk, either. That seems to be your problem. Again, I'm not the only one getting the same drift from your posts...so, perhaps, it is you that may have the communications problems.

Also, you might need to recheck some of your 'facts'....

On that note, I'm out. Let the **** parade continue in full swing.

bdt
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2007
    Options
    well I suppose the hope that some morsel may by chance just fall out if one writes and writes going on and on with a thousand words is a hard thing to let go of.......

Polk factoid--the Lsi ring radiator tweeter is featured in the Polk Audio Reference Theatre System speakers.........oh well keep trying.

RT1
  • Yashu
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Yes they are. Many people use the LSi for HT, so having an in-wall voiced matched set of speakers is business sense. Remember what I said about that? Did you not get that far before I put you to sleep at your keyboard?

You like to fish, don't you? Freshwater or saltwater? I used to like it a lot but haven't been in so long.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Despite two No-Doz and a large Starbucks there was no effin way...............

much better and the woo woo still has me chuckling, now that was funny.

All that is left is to say three times that the Polk Rti speakers do count and remember shorter is better and your home.

RT1
  • raudi
    raudi Posts: 54
    edited November 2007
    Options
    Looks like I might have found another set of RTA 11s locally for a really good price($40). I'm going to call the guy tomorrow and check them out.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/475806215.html