audiobahn...

karkass
karkass Posts: 1
edited February 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
how are the flame q's, and how do they compare to the mm12's? i was listening to some momos the other night, and it seemed as if they hit higher than rockfords and directeds subs. i work at an electronics store so i was able to do i side by side comparison. sometimes they hit low as the rockfords and directeds, sometimes higher, more often higher. is this from the enclosure? they were on a 500 watt rockford class d btw. anyways i was wondering about the flame q's and what they sound like.
Post edited by karkass on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    as far as the momo's hitting higher than the rockford / dei / whatever subs... reason is, the momo is a better quality SQ subwoofer... it has much more strength (musically not necessarily physically) over the entire bass frequency band than a lot of other woofer's you're gonna see. as far as the low note goes -- dont worry, in the car, with a reasonable amount of power, it'll play the low note right along with every other woofer in its class.

far as audiobahn -- i'm not the person to answer that question...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited February 2003
    The Audiobahn flame woffer that you are refering to (I believe it is the AW1206Q) may give you a few benifits that the MOMO will not. However, these benifits will come at a price. The qeuestion is are you willing to pay it. Lets beging the comparison. The Audiobahn sells for around $120.00 on ebay while the 12" MOMO (no enclosure) sells for around $140.00. So far the Audiobahn is cheaper. The MOMO has a 66 oz. magnet (4.125 lbs) while the Audiobahn has a massize 120 oz magnet (7.5 lbs). The MOMO's effictive range is from 20-200Hz. The Audiobahn's runs from 20-500Hz. So far the Audiobahn is ahead. The MOMO has a THREE YEAR WARRENTY. The Audiobhan has a meager one year warrenty. The MOMO is a 500w rms 1000w max. The Audiobahn is 1100w rms (can't seem to find the max and they don't have it on thier web site). Now the question is how much do you want to spend on amps, caps, batteries, alternators, ect? You can run TWO MOMO 12's (at rms barely) with the amount of power it will take to run ONE of the Audiobahn's. The Audiobahn's may be louder in the long run and if that is what you are looking for then go buy them. However, if you don't have the pocketbook to back up thier very thirsty power requirements it would be like buying a Lamborghini and not being able to afford the gas to put in it. I would personally go buy a few to the MOMO 12's that are in the enclosure already (about $217.00 on ebay) and save the money that would have been spent on the enclosure for the Audiobahn (which would have to be built like Ft. Knox) and buy the amp(s) to run the MOMO's. The Audiobahns may look pretty and shiney but who is going to see the flame basket after you put them in a box?

Go with the MOMO's
    Loud
    About the same price
    Not so power hungry
    Clean
    BETTER WARRENTY
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited February 2003
    MOMO. Audiobahn has an extremely high breakdown rate, not great SQ and take so much power to run you might as well install a power plant under your hood.
    "The Big C"
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2003
    That´s the reason why i go with RF-subs. Dont need much power to send me to soundnirvana...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Keske944
    edited February 2003
    If you really want to know all the ins and outs of how an Audiobahn sub sounds pick up the March 2003 issue of Car Audio and Electronics. Read the review on pages 78-83.
    Patience... patience...

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2003
    unfortunatly...reviews dont talk about Reputations and quality out on the field. Issue with Audiobahn..that they have to overcome...is all show...I know too many dealer who have dropped Audiobahn for 1)quality issues, 2)service issues, 3)support issues..... Untill Audiobahn can overcome this reputation...They will be third rated equipement.

There is a reason there is always a lot of Audioblah on EBAY
  • Keske944
    edited February 2003
    Thier subs and speakers are built for SPL not for listining to real music. The one thing that Audiobahn has going for them is they do make a quality amp that gets the job done and still looks good.
    Patience... patience...

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2003
    no comment. amps are worse than their subs...sorry:rolleyes:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    again i reitterate,,, i dont think audiobahn is junk -- its just basically "half" of what thomas said....

1) u want a company that will sit on the phone with you for 4 hours to discuss why you have a tiny problem with your system or how u wanna install it or whatever and will swap out a busted product in a heartbeat without giving u grief.

2) reliability is more important than looks... hell that's all that a company like Digital Designs or Resonant Engineering has goin for them... the most basic dull lookin sub on earth, but its built like a rock and its that "basic black look at me i cna take 2,000 watts and not break a sweat" ambiance that draws customers.

I really have sort of gotten away from thinking audiobahn is overpriced -- i mean i spout all the time "the markup is horrible" -- but now i'm really starting to think that the reason for the high cost is the extremely detailed / "high end" if you will, asthetics. That much chrome plating, that much design, that much "sex appeal" does cost money... prolly costs them a lot more to that then just smack a plain black cone or powder coated steel case on something.

i dunno... audiobahn is what audiobahn is -- and thats trendy / good looking / showy / glowy / "sexy" products. at least tehy're honest --- they dont market themselves on performance, they market on looks / appeal.... i give them credit for that.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge