Polk MoMo 6x9...

Options
collar
collar Posts: 3
edited October 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi guys:)

Planning on installing a pair of MMC690 in a custom made MDF board at the rear deck of a Renault Clio 1995 Hatchback. The trunk volume is around 170L or about 6 Cubic Feet. I'll be also treating the trunk et al with Dynamat and making sure I've got an airtight enclosure etc..

I've read here and elsewhere that the MMC690 does have a very nice, tuneful and tight bass though not on par with a dedicated sub etc..I'm not a sub bass freak and am mainly looking for a full range SQ but definitely not an anaemic bass reproduction too. I'm also looking to go for a very simple install and don't want to install speakers at the front or dedicated subs etc.. Looking at the build and the specs of the MMC690 tells me it's gonna be a good choice for what I need.

For amplification, I'm thinking of either a Zapco or a Butler tube amp to drive them.

Would greatly appreciate any opinions, advice and feedback on what I'm about to do.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Collar
Post edited by collar on

Comments

• ilikesound
    ilikesound Posts: 355
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i would def. amp those. i tried patching them into my head unit, and they would work for about half a day, then die. just no sound. i plugged them back into an amp and boom they worked again. they are very power hungry speakers. so if you got the momo6x9's and a clean amp, they would sound great. however (there's always one of these) your sound in the rear is going to overpower everything else in terms of clarity. i would pick up another set for the front...mm6500's are a perfect choice obviously. just get a nice 4 channel amp and you can run both sets yo.
    At Home:
    Panasonic 42'' TC-L42U12 LCD
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Sony PS3 - psn "metalguitars"
    Xbox 360 - gamertag "giggidygiggidy"
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)
    Audioquest interconnects and wires.

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
    stock system in new car for now:(
  • ilikesound
    edited September 2007
    Options
    also, go with Second Skin. you can get a gallon of their spectrum sludge AND 20ft^2 of their version of Dynamat all shipped for around $120 or so depending on locale. i've found that my car aquired a tomblike silence and i can even hear myself breath at times when im rolling down the road at 40 or so. its just a better product in terms of value/performance. and do your doors too. lots and LOTS of noise gets in from there.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I owned a set of MMC690's for about 2 years and to this day swear they are the best sounding coaxial speaker on the market. Excellent choice.

They will serve you very well and will have decent low end extension considering their size.

As for the amp, Zapco all the way baby!!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ilikesound wrote: »
    i've found that my car aquired a tomblike silence and i can even hear myself breath at times when im rolling down the road at 40 or so.

LOL if u can hear yourself breath get on the tredmil:p

u can get a Dynamat bulk pack off of ebay for 117$ shiped anywhere in the us or canada, it got my rear deck, trunk, and doors.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • collar
    edited September 2007
    Options
    ilikesound wrote: »
    also, go with Second Skin. you can get a gallon of their spectrum sludge AND 20ft^2 of their version of Dynamat all shipped for around $120 or so depending on locale. i've found that my car aquired a tomblike silence and i can even hear myself breath at times when im rolling down the road at 40 or so. its just a better product in terms of value/performance. and do your doors too. lots and LOTS of noise gets in from there.

Thanks ILS! I'll take that into consideration. Might be a bit difficult to install a set of 6.5's upfront, need to check the exact depths etc..We'll see how it goes. Thanks again bud:)
  • collar
    edited September 2007
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    I owned a set of MMC690's for about 2 years and to this day swear they are the best sounding coaxial speaker on the market. Excellent choice.

They will serve you very well and will have decent low end extension considering their size.

As for the amp, Zapco all the way baby!!

Thanks Mac! Btw, did you ever get a chance to compare a Zapco with a Butler ? if so, what were your general impressions ? Tks again:)
  • ilikesound
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i would go zapco. what i've heard amazed me. they're some clean amps. again, i've only had experience (and little to boot) with them so find one and check it out.
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • ilikesound
    edited September 2007
    Options
    LOL if u can hear yourself breath get on the tredmil:p

u can get a Dynamat bulk pack off of ebay for 117$ shiped anywhere in the us or canada, it got my rear deck, trunk, and doors.

yea, the bulk pack will cost 117 shipped. but you can get a gallon of second skin, AND a bulk pack for the same exact price...

i should hit the gym...
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited September 2007
    Options
    how does second skin work exactly? as far as installation
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • ilikesound
    edited September 2007
    Options
    well they sell dynamat-esque stuff that's essentially the SAME THING and they also sell liquid stuff. the liquid stuff can be applied either with a paint brush or spray gun at 80psi. just coat the area you're doing once, let dry (45 mins to be safe,) and re-do until you are sure its at least 3mm thick. a couple layers and your car will be dead as a doornail. finish with the second skin dynamat-like product, and i tell you...there's nothing better than a quite car. honestly i cannot tell the difference between dynamat extreme and second skin pro. same thing.

www.secondskinaudio.com
    At Home:
    Pioneer VSX-80TXV
    Toshiba HD-XA2
    Panamax 4300EX
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3's
    Polk FXi3's. (x2)
    Martin Logan Dynamo (x2)

Away From Home:
    JVC HDR-50
  • kvoman
    kvoman Posts: 2
    edited October 2007
    Options
    New to the site and have a question on these Momos.

I have these 6x9s on my tower and was wondering if they can be run at 2 ohms? I understand each speaker is rated at 4 ohms.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2007
    Options
    No.

Ohms are a measure of resistance and you cant change it without changing the voice coil.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • kvoman
    kvoman Posts: 2
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks.

So does that mean that I can't connect two pairs of these speakers to one channel of an amplifier to run them at 2 ohms at the higher output rating of the amp?

Some amps say they put out 100 Watts RMS at 4 ohms and 200 Watts RMS at 2 ohms. I was thinking that if I connect two of these together on one channel (parallel?), would I be able to get the higher wattage rating into these speakers? Or would I damage these speakers?
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Most amps will run at 2 ohms stereo so you could hook up 2 speakers to one channel in parallel, but why would you unless youve got 4 speakers youre wanting to run off a single amp.

An amp that makes 100 watts x2 channels at 4 ohms would make around 175x2 at 2 ohms so your speakers would get more power by wiring one speaker to one amp channel.

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited October 2007
    Options
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I'm amazed they still make 6x9's... I thought those died in the 80's? :)