Unable to record via VCR....

Options
VTHokie01
VTHokie01 Posts: 12
I currently have digital cable and recently purchased S-Video cables, digital coax audio and standard RCA audio to run from the digital cable box to the receiver. All is well with watching/listening to the TV. The issue I'm having is with being able to record through the VCR. I've tried every possible routing of the wires and I just can't seem to get audio to the VCR. I'm able to get video, but no audio. I'm also able to play videos in the VCR with no problems. Below is the current setup I have from the digtal cable box to the receiver.

Digital Cable to Receiver
S-Video out ->S-Video In (Video 2)
Coax Digital Audio out ->Coax Digital Audio In (Video 2)
RCA Audio out -> RCA Audio in (Video 2)

I think the issue I'm having is with the S-Video out going to the Video 2 on the receiver and I'm not able to put the VCR somewhere in the middle. I'm able to run RCA Video from the digital cable box to the receiver and then back to the VCR but the digital cable box doesn't seem to switch back and forth between the S-Video and the RCA video, plus I'm not able to run the RCA audio from the digital cable box to the VCR because I need the RCA audio for the analog channels and are plugged into the RCA audio for Video 2. At this point I think I'm just rambling on but if anyone can provide some insight I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
32" Sony Wega
Kenwood VR6070
Panasonic DVD-CV51
Polk Audio RM6200
Polk Audio PSW250
Post edited by VTHokie01 on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You need an RCA cable from the receiver Video 2 out to the VCR's input
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • VTHokie01
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You need an RCA cable from the receiver Video 2 out to the VCR's input

Unfortunately I do not have RCA out on Video 2. Video 1 has both the S-Video in/out, RCA Video in/out, RCA Audio in/out. The issue I have is that Video 1 does not have the digital coax in, only Video 2 and DVD/CD has the digital coax in. So I'm not sure how to tie it all together.
    32" Sony Wega
    Kenwood VR6070
    Panasonic DVD-CV51
    Polk Audio RM6200
    Polk Audio PSW250
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    OK,
    here's what you do.I assume you have a Motorola Comcast digital box correct?(you will still receive the video and audio via S and Digital)
    Take the analog off the receiver(from the cablebox) and run it directly to the Vcr L1 in.Then run a composite run there as well.
    To record a channel from the cable box,you need to put the VCR on L1.Then set the channel on the cablebox to what you wanna record.
    Another easy way to get audio and video(worse way)is to run a coax line out of the cablebox to the ant/cbl in on the vcr.The hookup will need you to put the VCR's tuner to channel 3 or 4 whichever the cablebox is outputting on.
    Now the loop through your audio video receiver can be done as well.This requires all outs to the receiver(except the coax feed)into a input of your choice,then use the out's to get the signal to the vcr.
    Here's what I mean.
    Your using video 2 in on your receiver for cable.S-video,composite,digital and analog audio.Hook the VCR up to video 1,then use the video 1 out's back to the VCR.It will carry the Video 2 signals in analog(cablebox) back to the VCR via L1 input.Switch the receiver to video 2,switch the VCR to L1,set the cablebox to channel of choice,and your on your way to recording.
    Here's the best way to record............TiVo......yes TiVo,this is a hard disc recorder.It will record all of your favorite programs for you and you watch them when you want.Not when they air(unless you want to of course.No more Seting up the vcr,no more VCR PLUS,No more video tapes.........what more can you want???
    I'd look into a TiVo series 2 recorder............TiVo your way my man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Oh what a tangled web we weave...

VT,
    What's occupying Video 1?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited February 2003
    Options
    TiVo's got the "Big Brother" thing going on. It spies on you and I say EFF'EM!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VTHokie01
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    Oh what a tangled web we weave...

VT,
    What's occupying Video 1?

Tour2ma,

The only thing Video 1 is used for is VCR playback. So right now Video 1 is taking in the RCA audio for the VCR Audio out and then I have the Video out from the VCR directly to the TV.
    32" Sony Wega
    Kenwood VR6070
    Panasonic DVD-CV51
    Polk Audio RM6200
    Polk Audio PSW250
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mantis, Is a week up yet? Cause if it is, I was wanted to ask you about upgrading his interconnects... ;)

VTH,
    Really hard to picture the wiring, thus the tangled web comment. I think I know what hoosier and Mantis are driving at, but let me try from scratch. I’m not sure of the interconnect limitations you have. It sounds like you have S-Vid, coax and RCA on your AVR and cable box, and the VCR has only coax and RCA…. Yes? (The VCR likely has either component or composite video connections as well, but we’ll set that aside for now as you have not mentioned your video routing cause it’s working.)
    Next, are you sure the cable coax out is Digital audio, or is it Analog Video/audio? Put another way, is your AVR equipped to process/ decode a digital input? Even lacking this info with certainty I’m going to take a shot here.

It sounds to me like you’re routing more cable inputs than you need to from the cable box to video 2. Your AVR is giving you three options for getting your signal to it from your source, in this case the cable box. You don’t have to use them all. Just use the best one.

From best to worst the audio options are: digital co-ax, S-vid or RCA and analog coax.. Since both the S-Vid and coax are already carrying the audio and video from the cable box to the AVR, simply take the Cable box RCA out to the VCR in. Unless you record another source on your VCR, this should work for you. Try this first. And rest a minute, or a day, cause we’re going to get wild next…

If you stop at the above I think you are underutilizing your AVR. You say you are routing your VCR video to the TV. You should not have to do this. With S-vid connection capability, your AVR can certainly route video signals as well as audio. I think for starters you should:
    -remove all of the V1, V2, VCR and Cable box interconnects:
    -route S-vid from the cable box to the AVR. So it’s cable S-vid out to AVR V2 in.
    -next route coax from VCR out to V1 in and then coax connect V1 out to VCR in.
    With this you are using Video One to "loop in” the VCR. You should now be able to select V1 to view/ hear a tape and select V2 for cable. And when you're on V2 the audio/video signal should be available from the AVR to the VCR for recording.

The only thing left is getting any of your video sources out of the AVR to your TV. Somewhere on your AVR’s backside there’s a “Main Video Out” of some kind, maybe under a different name. It'll be coax, S-vid, composite or component. This is what should go to the TV, period. Your AVR should do all of the source switching for audio and video. The quality batting order for video from best to worst is Component RCA, S-vid, Composite RCA and coax. Again for now run S-vid if both the AVR and TV have S-vid connections. If they don’t, then run coax.

Get this “simple” set up working first and then you can substitute, not add… substitute in better connections to upgrade quality. Post whether this works and then we can figure out the next steps if you need further assistance.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • VTHokie01
    edited February 2003
    Options

If you stop at the above I think you are underutilizing your AVR. You say you are routing your VCR video to the TV. You should not have to do this. With S-vid connection capability, your AVR can certainly route video signals as well as audio. I think for starters you should:
    -remove all of the V1, V2, VCR and Cable box interconnects:
    -route S-vid from the cable box to the AVR. So it’s cable S-vid out to AVR V2 in.
    -next route coax from VCR out to V1 in and then coax connect V1 out to VCR in.
    With this you are using Video One to "loop in” the VCR. You should now be able to select V1 to view/ hear a tape and select V2 for cable. And when you're on V2 the audio/video signal should be available from the AVR to the VCR for recording.

I basically have the setup you describe above. I am running the S-Video from the Cable box to the AVR, and then I'm running S-Video from my AVR to the TV. As long as the digital coax from the cable box delivers analog audio for the basic channels then I think I'm good to go.
    32" Sony Wega
    Kenwood VR6070
    Panasonic DVD-CV51
    Polk Audio RM6200
    Polk Audio PSW250
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited February 2003
    Options

Digital Cable to Receiver
    S-Video out ->S-Video In (Video 2)
    Coax Digital Audio out ->Coax Digital Audio In (Video 2)
    RCA Audio out -> RCA Audio in (Video 2)

[/B]

The connection looks fine to me, you didn't get audio in this case because your receiver give the priority one to the digital audio signal and in most receivers, they don't output the digital audio signal to their analog outputs. When you record the program to VCR, you must select analog signal on your receiver, not digital (most receiver have this switch).

Now most of the digital video signal is also protected by macrovision and most VCRs tuner will be affected by this unless you have one of the anti-macrovision to connect between your digital box and your VCR.
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Read your problem.....but didn't really read responses. I'm sure your Digi-Cable box has some menu asking if you want to use digital output (and I'm assuming you chose this option). VCR's record via stereo input (rca composites). You probably need to choose standard stereo out in your cable box to get audio to your VCR. I've experienced this problem w/ DVD to VCR recording. Good luck.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • VTHokie01
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Ok, time for some clarification.

So if I were to switch to the following setup, would I cover all my bases?:

Digital Cable Box to Receiver
    S-Video Out -> S-Video In (Video 2)
    Coax Digital Audio Out -> Coax Digital Audio In (Video 2)

Digital Cable Box to VCR
    Composite Video Out -> Composite Video In
    RCA Audio Out -> RCA Audio In

VCR to Receiver
    Composite Video Out -> Composite Video In (Video 1)
    RCA Audio Out -> RCA Audio In (Video 1)

Receiver to VCR/TV
    S-Video Out (Monitor Out) ->S-Video In (TV)
    Composite Video Out (Monitor Out) -> Composite Video In (TV)
    RCA Audio Out (Video 1) -> RCA Audio In (VCR)

I'm not including the DVD and PS2 setup because those are working without any problems. Both are using Optical Audio, the PS2 is using S-Video and the DVD player is using Component Video.

My biggest concern is with the Coax Digital Audio from the Digital Cable box being able to carry the Analog audio for channels 2 - 75 (Basic Cable). If it does, then the setup above should work, or at least I think it would work.
    32" Sony Wega
    Kenwood VR6070
    Panasonic DVD-CV51
    Polk Audio RM6200
    Polk Audio PSW250
  • PETERNG
    edited February 2003
    Options
    You shouldn't hook up or use the composite video connection (parallel with S-video) at all, just connect one of the S-video out from your receiver to your VCR (to record), toss out all of the composite video connections. If your digital cable box always has the signal on the analog (RCA) audio out, then everything should work, if not, you don't have sound but picture on when you're recording on your VCR since your VCR can not record digital audio signal.
  • VTHokie01
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by PETERNG
    You shouldn't hook up or use the composite video connection (parallel with S-video) at all, just connect one of the S-video out from your receiver to your VCR (to record), toss out all of the composite video connections. If your digital cable box always has the signal on the analog (RCA) audio out, then everything should work, if not, you don't have sound but picture on when you're recording on your VCR since your VCR can not record digital audio signal.

My issue with that is that my VCR does not support S-Video in or out. Am I basically fighting a losing battle?
    32" Sony Wega
    Kenwood VR6070
    Panasonic DVD-CV51
    Polk Audio RM6200
    Polk Audio PSW250
  • PETERNG
    edited February 2003
    Options
    No you're not, but check with the manual of your receiver, if the receiver outputs both S-video and composite video signals when you do the parallel hook up, if it does then you're in good shape. I didn't know your VCR is a non S-VHS model. Try it the way you describe and post here if you have any problem.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Mantis, Is a week up yet? Cause if it is, I was wanted to ask you about upgrading his interconnects...
    OK call me dense but I don't follow you here.
    Tour2ma,
    It's been a very long week.So spell out what you mean Bro.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Color blind... "pink carpet"...

Originally posted by mantis
    Tour2ma,
    Mrs Mantis likes to change things around.

:lol::lol:
    Thanks, as payment for the laugh I offer you one week of my "silence" in your "high-wire" discussions.
    Ring a bell?

Actually "my offer" didn't even apply to interconnects. Within reason, I'm actually a proponent of better cabling there.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli