What's the BEST VALUE today in a "do-it-all" DVD player?

Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited February 2003 in Electronics
Within these parameters:
1.) Progressive scan a must (for future monitor upgrade).
2.) DVD - CD - SACD - LMNOP... oops sorry... must handle whatever format is out there today except MP3 (it's optional).
3.) No internal SSP (got that covered in my AVP).
4.) Multi-disc preferred, but not a must. If you want to recommend one of each, great.
5.) Under $1000 - the less, the better :) , but it's a value question.
6.) 'Value’ = performance/ price (but, I don't expect you to do the calc's for me).

All options are welcome regardless of brand, e.g., Technics. Sometimes there’s a pearl in a pile of s**t, e.g., RS’s little Optimus speaker.

If you have had a bad experience with a brand, whether recommended by another or not, please state that as well. Don't want sparks to fly, but would rather have some than miss the input.

If you think a do-it-all, is NOT the way go, that input is welcome as well. I own both single, and multi-disc CD players, but they’re not SACD capable. I’m looking to simplify and economically cover all the bases, if I can. To do so, I am willing to accept some performance compromise, but would obviously like to minimize it. I know I can always upgrade to separate players later.

My current player is a one-year-old, Sony DVP-NC600 (five-disc carousel, DVD-CD-Video CD player). My old CD players are a Denon DCD-1500 and a Sony carousel.

My probable timing is April this year for my next purchase (have to let my credit card cool off a while). If there's something coming down the road, model and/or format wise that would make it worth waiting longer, please state that as well.

I didn’t specify outputs because it appears all have at least one optical and component these days, but if a player is noteworthy for extras here, please mention them.

Thanks for your input…

EDIT: Corrected AC3 to MP3...
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Sometimes I wonder how much do we really want one little box to do. DVD HD-DVD, Progressive, Interlaced, CD, HDCD, SACD, DVD-A, MP3, WMA, DVD-R, DVD-RW, CD-R, CD-RW. All similar but yet a little different. I have to believe that there are compromises to be made in order to do it all...maybe too many. Sometimes we make things too complicated trying to make it simple. I like the idea of going out to find the best DVD player for my budget...or the best CD player. I guess they can be the same but maybe not.

Kind of like a wanting a car that can hold a bunch of people, lots of cargo, have leather seats, pull a trailer, get good gas mileage, cheap on insurance, nobody steals them, you never get pulled over, very versitile, rides like a car but has utility like a van and anybody can drive one. So what you have is a Minivan. Does lots of things well....But it aint no PORSCHE!!!!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Granted... so your suggestion is???
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    If it were my money today I would purchase a Panasonic RP-82 DVD-V, DVD-A single disc player for those two formats (I could care less about DVD-A - I prefer SACD - However this is a good DVD player for both interlaced and progressive). Street price of around $220 if you can find one. In your time frame maybe the "Rumored" RP-85 which may come out in March/April would be the choice assuming it is as good as the RP-82. If you want a multidisc DVD player the Panaonic RP-72 may be a good choice.

For a multidisc CD changer I would first look for a Sony SCD-C555ES. CD/SACD Changer - very good redbook capabilities for a changer and SACD is excellent. Very good build quality. MSRP $800 but can be had for around $500. Or a slight step down to the Sony SCD-C222ES CD/SACD changer. Close to 555 but not quite the build quality and the redbook playback just a little weaker. Still very good. SACD is still excellent. It can be had for around $350. Sony builds a good CD player and the ES line is solid with a 5 year warranty.

JMO...it's free and worth every penny.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    ... must handle whatever format is out there today except AC3 ....

I think you would want this feature (ac3) because it is now referred to as Dolby Digital ! ;)
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Good point, I, of course, meant MP3....

Damn, can't even claim digit dyslexia on that one...
    STOOOOOPID
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited February 2003
    pioneer DV-45A
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited February 2003
    I have the Pan DVDCP72 and can't be happier. I have an analogue tv and the picture improved quite a bit over the phillips I had before
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    The Pioneer Elite dv45a is a great value player that plays just about everything under the sun.
    It's the one man
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited February 2003
    Mantis Got a question for you? Doesnt Panasonic make the transport for the pioneer?
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited February 2003
    RP82- $265US Hurry!

http://www.audioexpress.ca/video_dvd.html

Enjoy- Greg
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One
  • Jargan04
    Jargan04 Posts: 10
    edited February 2003
    If you have the money go with a Onkyo DV-SP800. It does everything; SACD,DVD AUDIO, DVD VIDEO, CD, MP3. It has 7 channel outpouts. They go for about $800-$900 on the net. All in all they are even better then the $3500 Denon DVD-9000 that I friend of mine bought.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3006026306&category=3316

$397.00 buy now price, these retail for hundreds more don't they, seems like a good deal... i want one now :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • weiser
    weiser Posts: 55
    edited February 2003
    Panasonic RP82 at audioexpress sold out!
    Any other links for this player in Canada or U.S.?
    JVC AV48WP30 Widescreen TV
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Sony SAT-A50 DSS DD Receiver
    Sonic Frontiers Anthem Amp 1
    Tara Labs-Axiom Interconnects
    Tara Labs Digital 75 Co-axial
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub
    M&K V-3B Mains Sub
    M&K V-2B Mains Sub
    M&K LP-1S High Pass Filter
    Ultralink Bi-wiring Thru
    AR Pro Series Interconnects
    Marantz RC2000 MKii Remote
  • gacole2000
    gacole2000 Posts: 255
    edited February 2003
    They went fast! They are supposed to get more next week, but who knows? Also, there are a couple on ebay (overpriced, but if you keep a close eye, you can find them reasonable).

Good luck- Greg
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V661
    DVD: Yamaha DV-C6480
    BR: Samsung 1600
    Mains: Polk RT55 (bi-amped)
    Center: CS300
    Sides: FX1000
    Rears: RT/FX
    Subs: SVS 20-39 PC+ 12.3 & DIY SVS 12.2
    Projector: Optoma HD70 w/ 106" Elite Screen
    Power: Panamax MAX 5100
    Remote: Harmony One
  • weiser
    weiser Posts: 55
    edited February 2003
    I e-mailed them back about getting more next week and they replied that they are sold out at source and that they would consider my order cancelled. Oh well! Keep looking!
    JVC AV48WP30 Widescreen TV
    Marantz SR6200 Receiver
    Panasonic RP-82 DVD
    Sony SAT-A50 DSS DD Receiver
    Sonic Frontiers Anthem Amp 1
    Tara Labs-Axiom Interconnects
    Tara Labs Digital 75 Co-axial
    Kinima HiG2 Mains
    Polk CS400i Main Center
    Kinima KC2 Rear Center
    Polk FX300i Rears
    Polk PSW 350 LFE Sub
    M&K V-3B Mains Sub
    M&K V-2B Mains Sub
    M&K LP-1S High Pass Filter
    Ultralink Bi-wiring Thru
    AR Pro Series Interconnects
    Marantz RC2000 MKii Remote
  • freid
    freid Posts: 24
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by mantis
    The Pioneer Elite dv45a is a great value player that plays just about everything under the sun.
    It's the one man

hey Mantis, I am also in the market for a "reasonably priced" good DVD player. Have you heard the CD audio reproduction from the Pioneer Elite dv45a and can advise on its quality? Also can you advise on the dv47ai as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated.