.85 cubic foot ok?

MoralLying
MoralLying Posts: 9
edited February 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if two GNX104's would sound ok at .85 cubic foot apiece sealed. Will be running an MTX4250D at 2 ohms for both.

Thanks in advance! :D
Post edited by MoralLying on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    well.. anything less than 1.0 each with a good deal of fill is probably not the best idea for the 12" GNX.

1.25 is the reccomended box... but as per the world of stuffing goes, you can get down to like 1 or so if u stuff it a bit.

0.85 would probably cut off a bit of hte low end response.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MoralLying
    edited February 2003
    But these are the 10" GNX's.....................also I have heard that when you are running subs off of an amp you should not turn the "loud" function on your deck on, is this true?

One more thing, when breaking in subs, do you just keep your volume level low or do turn down your amp's gain as well?
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    i apologize -- i just drew a brain **** there or something...

the gnx 10 is recoccomended for a 0.65 cubic foot enclosure... i think 0.85 might be a little big... but you know its worth a shot. it seems there's an awefully big gap between the enclosure reccomendation for the 10 and 12... if u throw htem in 0.85 u'll just get a deeper, more vivid low bass note, maybe lose a little bit of the tightness / control over the woofer. might be a little boomy. i'm not sure though.

the loud function is basically junk -- all it does is warp your output so that it has a big big big bass peak and a big big big trebble peak. so no its not a great idea to use it, as it could cause undue stress to speakers at high volumes.... however, adjustable loudness controls are useful -- pioneer's decks have 3 stage adjustable loudness... stage 1 is (at least in this particular vehicle) a very good setting to get a littl emore "umph" outa the music but still maintain a "safe" setting for teh speaker. setting 3 makes everything in teh car "****". play with it.. chances are, if u adjust other things (bass level for example) you can use the loudness if u compensate for the harshness of it in the lower end of hte frequency spectrum.

far as breaking in subs goes -- just keep the volume low... or.. if u want to BLAST the rest ofyour speakers but still allow u're subs to break in.. turn the gain to like 1/2 of what you'd normally have it at (or less)... just basicaly go easy on teh subs is all u gotta do -- whether its volume or gain it doesn't matter... long as they're takin it easy.
  • MoralLying
    edited February 2003
    Well, say I try The .85ft^3 and it sounds like doody, what would be the best way to decrease the box size? I am buying the box from a company called Audio Enhancers as it is about the only place I can find a box for a jeep wrangler for under 200 dollars. Here is the link to a picture of the box, it is model number JW170 under the jeep wrangler heading............http://www.audioenhancers.com/catalog/catalog6.html

Maybe just cut a little off of the top? If so how would I know how much to cut off?

Thanks for all your help PBD, Let me know if I get annoying. :lol:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    welll... a 4x4 stud piece of wood -- 12 inches long would be 0.10 cubic feet.

so if u put two of those into the box.. then boom, u're cubic feet are down to 0.65... one, and its 0.75... basically just blocks of wood inside ... screwed down of course so they dont fly around.. are the best way to cut down volume.

annoying? hell i think that I AM the anoying one in this forum (anticipates many replies going 'damn right u are' )... :lol: