changing pioneer's dvc's to ?????

Options
mtxescape
mtxescape Posts: 5
edited February 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
:confused::confused: Hey everyone i'm new on the forum and Polk audio sub's. I've allways had pioneer's but it's time for a change now.I have a 2003 Ford Escape with a MTX 250D mono amp pushing 3 12in pioneer DVC'S in parelle in a sealed box. All my friends could not belive how hard this sys. was pounding.A week later I blew a sub so now I would like to change to a Polk but know nothing about them could you steer me in the right sub area on model and if I should use a single or duel vooise coil for my MTX 250D mono amp? And also I am change the OEM 5x7'S door speakers out to the EX572 5x7's with no amp just a Sony m630 head unit pushing a max of 52 watts x 4 to the speakers. Would these speakers be good and sound nice just from the head unit? The box fits 3 subs at 1.2 of air space per sub. :confused::confused:
Post edited by mtxescape on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2003
    Options
    well... the EX III's will run fine off the head unit -- i mean as you prolly already know any speker will sound "better" on an amp than a head, but if u must go with the head then the EX III are efficient enough to run nicely off it... 54 x4 = roughly 20+ x 4 rms, which will do allright.... so good choice.

far as the subs go... 3 subs off a 250D ?? that's pushin it friend. 250D is like 300 x 1 at 2 ohms. unless you're running it at 1 ohm -- then you'd get like 375 or so, but it'd run hot...

anyway... ideally, off the 4250D / 250D you'd run two GNX subs - single 4 ohm voice coil each. that'd give u a 2 ohm load and 150 watts per sub.

but since u're goin with 3, i suppuse you can just get 3 of the 4 ohm single coil variety... u'd have a 1.33 ohm load , which - while not reccomended by mtx - has been shown to be a stable load for all of the THunder series class D amps. say 350 -375 / 3 = 115 - 125 per sub...

if you went with teh dual 4 ohm coil variety you'd end up with a 2.66 ohm load, which, while safer for the amp, would limit you to only 85-ish watts per sub. personally, i'd run it at 1.33 and call it a day... i wouldn't give up those extra 40 watts per sub for the sake of letting the amp run extra cool.

i've seen run / run myself 81000d's and 6500d's at 1.33 ohms with no problems... they barely even get hot. well built little amps i tell ya.

anyway.. gnx is the way to go -- and they'll work in that 1.2 cubic per sub setup nicely. prolly wont even have to stuff the box or alter it in any way.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • mtxescape
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Hey poweredbyford lol lol lol sorry dodge.Thank you for your input I will go with the EXlll's for my head unit.And for the amp and subs I called MTX and they said 3 pioneer dvc's no problem but at 2 ohms only or even better single voice coils on that amp at 2 ohm's.My amp stay's ice cold after pounding this thing for a while.But one of my subs blew maybe to under power?I will take your advice on the dvc's at 1.33 ohms though after reading your other threads it sound's like your trusty do you have a whole model number for me? I want to keep that amp because it fit's perfect in the spot where i have it would go with the 6500d or 500d but it's a little bigger and i want to keep the installation clean i will see if i can e-mail you a pic so you can see thanks again and can you give me the model # on those subs for 12in talk at ya later.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mtxescape
    the model # on those subs for 12in talk at ya later.

model # on GNX single 4 ohm coil woofers 12" are --> "GNX124"

most retailers will suffice with "i need the single 4 ohm coil polk GNX".

happy bassing. :)
  • mtxescape
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Thanks for the help i'm going to buy them but one more question if i wire all three neg. to amp and pos. that will put me at 1.33 ohm's if not how do i wire them the way you posted:)
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    Options
    nah u have it exactly right... all three positives go to amp positive... all three negatives go to amp negative.

16 gauge wire should be ok for each speaker. if u are running a single line to the box and then splitting off at the box to eahc speaker.... then use 12 gauge to the box and then split off from there w/ 16.
  • mtxescape
    edited February 2003
    Options
    So as far as my amp goes it's my first class d mono.Do I run both channels on amp to left and right speaker and the center speaker take the positive to one channel and the negative to the other channel or just bridge the amp like a regular 2 channel and put all 3 negs.to one side of amp and all 3 pos. to other side of amp?If i'm correct a mono amp puts out the same wattage on both channels so it doesn't have to be bridged wired correct?:confused:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2003
    Options
    ya... those left and right sets of outputs on the amp are actually just one output -- inside the amp the left + and right + are connected... same for the -.

you could run all three +'s and all three -'s to just one of those outputs if you wanted... it wouldn't make a darn bit of difference.

the only reason they put two outputs is to make it easier to connect two speakers... more room to get wires onto the terminals is all. :)