Wiring RT1000i

dcarlson
dcarlson Posts: 1,740
I just want to say how pleased I am with the results of bi-wiring my RT1000i speakers.

I read the whole argument about bi-wiring and it's too bad that that it exists in this forum and it may steer people in the wrong direction. I'm NOT starting another argument about terminology here. I want to inform other people of my results.

Because of that long drawn out argument, I was really aprehensive about bi-wiring or "Mantis-wiring" them but all I have to say is wow what a difference.

I bought some Kimber cable, tried mono-wiring and bi-wiring. The mono-wiring sounded great but had a bit of midrange muddiness that was only evident when compared with bi-wiring. The bi-wiring did a wonderfull job of clearing the mid and highs and also providing much deeper bass. I've had these speakers for about a year now (a whole wack of different positions) and bass has always been lacking. Not anymore.

I would suggest giving bi-wiring a try and if you don't like the results go back to mono-wiring.

I have a Denon 2802, RT1000i, CS400i, and R10 surrounds. It's been I while since I've had that wow factor and it's nice to have once more.

My next upgrade is going to possibly be a Rotel CD player RCD1070, then futhur down the line maybe RTi38 surrounds.
SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
Post edited by dcarlson on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2003
    There really is no argument.

The question never was if wiring them in that configuration sounds better or not. Like so many other things, that is subjective.

What isn't subjective is that the RT1000i cannot be biwired. Period. Using a high level input to the powered sub doesn't constitute biwiring.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    Fine, "Mantis wiring" then.

Better???

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • TroyD
    edited February 2003
    Call it whatever you wish, I'm just saying if you understand the premise of biwiring, you will understand why the RT1000i can't be biwired.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    What isn't subjective is that the RT1000i cannot be biwired. Period. Using a high level input to the powered sub doesn't constitute biwiring.
    I agree!!!! Rt1000's cannot be bi-wired - in essence all you did was increase the wire quage. And sometime that will help sound quality.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    i bi-wired my rt1000i the 1000i is a three way speaker.. has a tweeter, mid, and powered sub. if you can bi wire a 800i with a two way design. why not then a 1000i?

maybe you're thinking you can't bi-amp a 1000i? could that be it?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dcarlson
    edited February 2003
    It's exactly as you say (danger boy)..., it's bi-wiring with three speakers.. To truly separate the speakers in this case would be to would need three sets of wires (tri-wire), which in this case is not possible with the two sets of binding posts on the RT1000i.

Anyway, I say yes it's bi-wiring, through a threeway speaker.

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by dcarlson

steer people in the wrong direction.

This is EXACTLY what you are doing right NOW.

The 1000 CANNOT, and NEVER COULD BE bi-friggin-wired. Don't believe me Cochise, CALL POLK.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited February 2003
    Gents,

Go back and reread the posts on the subject. There is irrefutable evidence as to why you can't biwire the RT1000's.

You CAN hook them up with a high level connection to the sub (which is what you are doing) but it isn't, according to the definition, biwiring. As Russ said, call Polk, speak to Ken Swauger, he will tell you the exact same thing.

Again, I'm NOT saying that hooking the sub up via a high level connection doesn't sound better. That's not the point.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    Troy and Russ......The Mighty Duo to fight bad audio Terms.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2003
    ok so you can't bi wire a RT1000i. then i guess i didn't.. and it doesn't sound very good. guess i'll just have to live with my horrible sounding dual wired RT1000i's for a while.

dang, I thought i was doing something good. but i was totally wrong again.

somebody spank me. phleeze! :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • TroyD
    edited February 2003
    It's about combating ignorance Dan. If someone else were to post something incorrect about a subject that you knew something about, I'm sure you would try to correct them as well.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited February 2003
    Troy I'm all for your quest,but at the same time it would be nice to offer some help/proper terminology if your going around saying that you can't do it,your term is incorrect.
    The point here is Yes you can Wire the rt1000i's in a bi wire configuration.This is true.The rt1000i's don't seperate the highs and midbass driver,there on the same binding post.The Subwoofer has it's own binding posts,2 posts 2 different wires can be used to power the speaker reguardless how it's wired inside.If the term bi wire is incorrect,then supply the correct terminolgy so we can finally get on with this.I made up the term "Mantis Wiring" just so we can avoid this.If there is a correct term for this wiring technic with the rt1000i's,I don't know what else to call it other then bi wiring.Correct or not.
    I think telling people with less experience looking for better ways to wire there speakers,telling them they can't be bi wired would make one think that IT can't be done.Untrue to a point.Physically you can do it and sound inprovements are noticable.Even the midbass and highs sound clearer wired this way.
    Again I understand you not wanting people to use incorrect terminology,I support that,but this matter needs to be cleared up so we can have a forum term for wiring the powered towers.This won't be the last time it comes up.You know that as it keeps coming back.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited February 2003
    How about calling it what it is, a high level connection to the powered sub.

BDT
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2003
    wouldnt you get about the same effect if you took off the gold bridging plates and put 12g wire there??? I have 2000i's...non bi-wired...just inputing :0)
  • TroyD
    edited February 2003
    Ice,

In essence, yes.

BDT
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited February 2003
    Not really, that would be like running a single cable to the speaker, then untwisting it in the last few inches and running half to each binding post..
  • Silly Rabbit
    Silly Rabbit Posts: 14
    edited February 2003
    I am not sure I am following this properly. The method described seems to be having all four post connected to a receiver instead of using the bridging plates. Is this correct?
    When I first set up my 1000p's, I was told to wire the top post as main + and -, and then connect the sub input with a sub cable from the receiver sub output. This worked for me until I moved and picked up a ground loop somewhere. In looking for info on the ground loop I was told that I should get rid of the sub input and use the gold bridges. I did this and now have my receiver set to send lfe to the mains. I seem to remember that this is the way that Polk suggests to connect the rt1000's. Is this correct? If the other method is connecting all four post, what is connected to the bottom 2 posts? What is the point of having the sub input if using the bridges is better?
    Just curious to the best method of connecting these speakers. My use is 90/10 home theater/music.