Original Model SDA II - Tweeter Questions

Options
heroglyphic
heroglyphic Posts: 23
edited October 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I just purchased a pair of SDA II's from a friend a week ago... (the original model with two tweeters, three mids and one woofer)... I had just hooked them... wow. After listining to Santana's oya comova I was simply amazed!

I noticed, however that the more I listened to them that the right side sounded louder than the left. No matter what the source audio was, the right side just seems louder. I figured wiring or the interconnect cable was to blame.. double checked those, and all looked good.

I found an owner's maniual for every model other than the original SDA II's on the web... I read the troubleshooting sections in both the SDA I's and IIB, C's anyway about the sections on troubleshooting.. said you should be able to close your eyes and hear the sound IN THE CENTER between the speakers, not the case here. I did the other basic tests (from the manuals, but still basic) and came to the conclusion something was wrong with the left speaker.

I decided to try and see if I could tell if a speaker was blown. I pulled out all the tweeters carefully. On the right speaker I found one SL1000 (the right one of the two tweeters), and the left tweeter was a SL2000.... On the left speaker, both were SL2000's.

I swapped the two tweeters in the left speaker (the speaker that seemed quieter)... and bang... the music was louder! From there, I figured that I needed two SL2000's, one for the blown tweeter, and one to replace that mysterious SL1000.

I e-mailed Polk, the lady that replied said that the tweeters she had were replacement SL2000's, and if I join the 'club polk' I can get a discount from them and free shipping. But, when I was on the forums last night I saw someone was selling a pair of SL2000's, and when I went to ask them if they were still available the website told me I didn't have enough posts to ask tht question... Grrrr. I also saw some of you talking about some other tweeters called RDO's or something?

I e-mailed polk back today asking what tweeters were originally to be in the 'original' SDA II's, was it the SL1000's, 2000's, or a blend of both? Also I asked her about those silk ones you're all talking about... but I guess I'll have to wait 'til monday for a reply from them.

So there I am... simply 'blown away' by the sound of these speakers and they're not even working right!

Any support you nice people can give me would be much appriciated!

John
Post edited by heroglyphic on

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,176
    edited September 2007
    Options
    RDO's (silk dome tweeters) are the replacement tweeter for the SL 2000. Most folks think the RDO's sound better, but in my opinion, the SL 2000 sound much better. Keep in mind that if you buy the SL 2000's from someone outside of the polk club, there is a possibilty that the tweeter magnets could have been dislodged from the speaker housing and then put back on. The reason I know this is because I had a pair of SDA II's shipped and DHL dropped of the speakers and broke off both tweeter magnets. You will still get sound out of the tweeters, however, the sound will be greatly diminished.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Hi John, congrats on the SDAs and welcome to CP.

The SL2000s are the original tweeters that came in the SDA-2s. The replacement tweeter for them is the RD0194-1.
    Not all but most people like the sound of the replacement tweeter better than the 2000.
    It does take some time to burn the new tweeters in though so be patient. IMO it's worth it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited September 2007
    Options
    If you like a 5dB spike at 13kHz, you know, the one that makes your ears hurt, then stick with the SL2000's. However, if you want to listen to music the way it's suppose to sound, get the RD0194-1's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    Options
    i wish more people would get the RD0-194 tweeters for their vintage Polks. I nearly cringe whenever I see a photo with someone using it. I have to say though in very small doses the SL2000 is ok. small doses

for any extended period of listening, say a full CD, it's just not pleasant enough for my ears.. and my hearing is bad too. I have slight hearing loss in both ears... go figure.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have to agree with Bob. One thing that really bothers me is before the poster even gets done talking about what the have the auto response comes out GET RDO 194s!!!!. Like it is the greatest thing since air. I agree with Bob. many like them but some do not. I have spent way to much time switching tweeters ( ROD194, SL1000, Peerless)between 3 different speakers (10, RTA12B, and SDA1) and the conclusion by myself and others including my wife who said of the RDO the sound stops at the top of the speaker. I think the RDO is a very nice tweeter. it is very liquid and smooth but smooth to the point of on some things sounding like it is rolled off COMPARED to the other two. I also know the equitment a person uses can affect this. I see alot of Carver stuff people are using. As I recall when I worked in consumer electronics the Carver gear tended to be somewhat bright. Still very nice stuff but it might be a better match to the RDo194. I have watched these posts for some 4 years now before opening my mouth and all I am saying is the 194 is not for everyone and it often comes across as you MUST have these and change them out right away. It also depends on the speaker itself . Some models the orignal stuff sounds fine other models they can sound thin and bright. Remember polk produced 1000s of speakers with the 1000 and 2000 and I suspect most people are pretty happy with what they have. As an example when SR reviewed the 10B with the SL1000 they pointed out the peak but said it seemed to give the speaker a very open sound. and did not imply it bothered them at all. Each to their own. They are cerainly worth a try.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,850
    edited September 2007
    Options
    GET THE RD0194-1's!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I have those IIs, the RDOs made a new and better speaker out of them, so much so I put them in all my SDAs.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • danger boy
    edited September 2007
    Options
    you MUST get the RD0-194 replacement tweeters.. or you're not really benefiting yourself. they are an "upgrade" tweeter. kind of like buying new tires for your car when they start to become to worn out. :)

Your point is well taken though geppy1. If a person can live with the harshness and it's not harsh to their ears.. then why change it out? The SL2000 is very detailed i'll give you that. The RD0 takes some time to break in and open up. After just a month, mine I think are still somewhat laid back.
  • heroglyphic
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Thanks guy's... sounds like I should get the RD0194-1's... I typed this into ebay, nothings coming up... just that pair or SL2000's (which would be my quicker fix)... this sounds like almost a relegious discussion about which way to go, kinda like choosing between AMD or Intel chipsets. :confused:

Anyone know how how much these 'rdo's' go for?

Do they go by another name?

Anyone here have four of them sitting around and want's to sell them?

Is there an online source for them, or should I just call Polk back on monday?

Anyone know how long the break in period is in these?

Thanks again for your help,

John

Oh, and I almost forgot the biggie: How much do they cost?
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I would recommend first replacing the SL1000 with an SL2000 and listen to the speakers for a while in their natural state. I replaced all of the SL2000 and SL3000 tweeters in my SDA's with their silk dome equivalents, but not everyone prefers the sound of the new tweeters.

If you decide to get the RD0 tweeters, install them on one side first and shift the sound from left to right with a variety of well recorded music. Pay particular attention to the sounds of female voices and high frequency percussion instruments.

The RD0 tweeters require a break in of approximately 50 hours before they sound their best.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • heroglyphic
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I pulled out the tweeter to get another look at it, as someone responded to my drunken post in the 'testing' area...

Turns out, from the picture he posted there, the SDA II's had silver colored tweeters called SL1000's originally. Someone put SL2000's in these. When I was pulling out the tweeters one by one, one of them; the right speaker's right tweeter, is black like the rest of them, but the sticker from Polk on the magnet says's SL1000. They drew a line over the model number with the same blue ink from the factory tester's handwriting... meaning that it's actually a SL2000 speaker, stamp w/SDA & all, but Polk must have been trying to use up the rest of their SL1000 stickers!

I joked that if this speaker was a postage stamp that it would be worth some money, like an upside down airplane :-)

John
  • geppy1
    edited September 2007
    Options
    You are right danger they do take some time. I still find them to laid back for me but they are smooth. I think the Peerlees fits the bill but there are two versions of that also. My question has always been is the response curve of the 1000 the same as the 2000? I have often thought the 2000 sounded thinner and brighter then the 1000. maybe i am wrong. It would be nice to know. keith
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Hey... nobody answered any of my questions from above :-)

And for that matter... the nice lady at Polk confused me even more! Whats a SL3000 for christ's sake!

Here's her reply to my "what are these 'rdo' things everyone's talking about"? question:

Good-morning Mr.Heroglyphic,

The SL2000, and the SL3000 (which is also a combination Tweeter for the SL2500) all have the same Domes. The Voice-coil is the difference. They are the same price as well.

Thank You,

Helen Yarbor
    Customer Service / Parts
    Polk Audio
    5601 Metro Dr.
    Baltimore, MD. 21215
    1-800-377-7655
    Fax- 410-764-5470

What was that? Are the RDO's really called SL3000?? And if so, why are none of you calling them that? Why are you all calling them "silk domed" when it's not the done thats silk? Eeeee!
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    the tweeters in the SDA 2's are like your's are SL1000 because the faceplate is silver in color. SL2000 and SL3000 and I think SL2500 are black faceplates.

I believe the SL3000 was the final version which was a tri laminate dome tweeter. you don't want that one..

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but the RD0-194 is the current dome tweeter available from Polk to replace the SL1000 and the SL2000 tweeters.
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    From above you'll read I have the SL2000's... one with a oddball SL1000 label, which confused me.

Why isn't the Polk lady trying to sell me RDO's?
  • geppy1
    edited October 2007
    Options
    You are correct but when using it for the SL1000 the mounting area needs to be enlarged slightly in top to botom dimensions.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    From above you'll read I have the SL2000's... one with a oddball SL1000 label, which confused me.

Why isn't the Polk lady trying to sell me RDO's?

is she trying to sell you any tweeters at all? so your tweeters faceplates are black and not silver is what you're saying, correct? if they are SL2000's then the RD0-194 tweeter from Polk is the current one and you should order them if you want.. no one says you HAVE to replace them with the upgraded RD0-194, but it's a great idea to do it.
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Ooooh... that might be a show stopper right there.. although I do have friend with a router. You don't have to modify the boards or anything else wild like that that no one else has been kind enought to mention... Is there a thread or website somewhere I missed where I can read about these 'RDO' things so I can stop bothering all you nice folks?
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yes... I have the black tweters... she wants me to call and place an order during business hours, BUT FOR SOMETHING CALLED SL3000's.. She wouldn't even comment at all about the fact that I had specifically said 'RDO'.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    here is a picture of a SL2000 on top, with the RD0-194 on the bottom in this picture. your's look like the top tweeter?
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Yes, it's the same... Did you get yours from Polk? Did you have to make any modifications to the cabinet?
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    you'll have to have one of the other people more knowledgable than me answer that... DarqueKnight or F1Nut, Troy or RusSMan some other people would be better to answer this question. But i'd be surprised if she was saying you need SL3000 tweeters. Maybe they can be used, i'm not sure. since I believe it's a tri laminate tweeter and the SL2000's are not.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    this is what DarqueKnight posted about the SL3000

The RD0194 is a replacement for the SL1000 and SL2000.
    The RD0198 is a replacement for the SL2500 and SL3000.

do a search on SL3000 and find out what it says.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I got my RD0-194's from Polk and no modifications had to be made at all. just hook it up and screw it in and begin listening
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    I posted her actual e-mail above...

Is that a pic of your own personal speaker? Did you put the RDO in yourself?
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    those were my SDA SRS for a couple years.. i replaced all the SL2000's (8 of them) with the RD0-194 and they sounded excellent. and yes they just drop right in and screw in. no drilling required. no mods to the crossovers either.
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the info...

Oh heck, while were at it...

1. Is it RD'O', or RD'zero'?
    2. Should I get the 194's or 198's ... which is better?
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    And another thing... the Polk website suggests the CSi5's as the modern match for a center channel speaker. If I was to replcce these SL2000's with RDo's, then will there still be the timbre match (if I buy the CSi5's)?
  • danger boy
    edited October 2007
    Options
    it's a zero and get the 194's. the 198's take crossover modifications to use in your speaker.. which I have no idea how to do.
  • heroglyphic
    edited October 2007
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your help man! ... I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone knows what will happen if I do change to RD0's in regards to still matching the Polk suggested CSi5.

Thanks again... gota go p/up my gfrind from the opera :-(