Megachangers

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
edited February 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
My megachanger broke lastnight.Sucks but out with the old and in with the new.It was a Pioneer Elite pdf-19.It was only alittle over 2 years old.I was going to use it for the house system,but now I gotta get a new one.
Sony Es makes some nice megachangers in the 555es.Sound quality I never VS the Pioneer Elite.
Anyone have any experience with higher end megachangers?I want a really good one.The Pioneer Elite pdf-27 replaced mine,and I was considering just picking it up.It's even 100.00 bucks cheaper then mine was(600 vs 500).The Sony ES does catch my eye.The Sony Runs 699.99.
Price isn't a factor.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2003
    you are spending some mega cash on the new home and Ht setup/full house setup.. what do you do on the side for all that money, LOL :) Or is your wife a Doctor or something?? Just kidding but money not being a factor means you have unlimited spendage and you must be in the right business.... This was off topic for what you posted but its good to see someone doing good in these tough times these days, We do ok but not as good as we would like, LOL good luck in your search
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Mantis,
    Two years and out? Not very good... What went out, mechcanical or playback? Is repair an option?

BTW, in general Sony eq is still not very long lived. ES may be better.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    faster100,
    believe me I'm very far from rich.I do well,we do well.I have been waiting for almost 2 years for the house,and theater so.When it comes to my sound,weather it be house music,2 channel or Home Theater,I take it seriously.But I just might be more willing to fork over the cash then others.I dodn't plan on my cd player going.It isn't that old and just out of warranty........figures.

Tourma,
    here's what it did.I loaded up some new cd's I bought.5 cd went in.I was relaxing after a long day at work listening to them.And then it happened........effin Kabang....WHAT THE HELL????The player just stopped moving meaning the cd's where changing from one to another and it made a snap/kabang sound and sat there.I took it all apart to find some plastic peices inside.I unloaded all my disc's(that sucked)and tried to find the problem.I'm not a repairman when it comes to fixing gear.I gave it a shot for the hell of it.
    As far as getting it repaired,we have our own factory trained repair shop here at Tweeter,I thought of getting it fixed.I could have not put a cd in correctly and jammed the damn thing.But I figure the cost of fixing it,waiting,I say eff it and move on to newer and maybe better sound.
    Megachangers is something I haven't demo'd in over 2 years.I don't think about them or really paid to much mind to them.I love/loved mine but now it's down,I need a megachanger for the house system and here I sit needing some advice on which way to go.
    I'm gonna conduct a shootout between the Sony and the Pioneer....ES and Elite of course, but if anyone knows of other models that would be worth looking at.I'd like to share there experiences.
    OK thanks guys for repling.....
    Dan
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited February 2003
    Now I don't play my Sony cd megachanger hard (shuffle between discs for extensive periods) but my non-es player has performed flawlessly for almost 3 years. *knock on wood *
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited February 2003
    When I got my Sony 400 disc (non ES) 1 yr ago, I was looking for a megachanger to hold all my cds so I did not need to change them out. It has performed flawlessly, and I use it just about every day. I would think the ES would perform the same. If I could do it all over again, I would get the ES for the (I think) better sound.

Oh how things have changed. What started as a simple upgrade from my 15 yr old Pioneer reciever, Sony 5 disc changer and Cerwin Vega speakers to modern HT has taken over my life as a unstoppable quest for the ultimate system!
  • joe6pak
    joe6pak Posts: 267
    edited February 2003
    Mantis.

The ES has a 5 year warranty. Whats the warranty on the Pioneer elite now?
    Sony makes a ES that is $100 less than the 555ES. I think it is the same player only does not have on screen capabilities or a lcd remote. I think with the lcd remote you can read disc titles on the remote. For me the extra $100 would probably be worth spending.

joe
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    the on screen is well worth it joe,
    for me that is because the player will be located in the basement with the house system.
    I don't know if you read my review where you started the same thead,but I'll give you a real quick one here.
    The Pioneer Elite pdf-27 and the Sony CDMx555es where super close in sound quality.Pioneer was slightly forward with better high end detail and the Sony was warmer and relaxed with slightly rolled off high end detail.
    The OSD feature is awesome.Since my house gear will be located in a gear room in the basement,I'm gonna use video feeds to all Tv's around the house and modulate the Sony's video signal so when I'm in the Zone or room ,I can turn on the Tv,use the keypad on the wall to control it and see it on the Tv.........cool or what??????
    My theaterroom will share this player most likely a digital connection to the B&K and the analog going to the niles preamp.I'm considering the Sony ES 777es SACD/CD player for transport in the theater.......thinking thinking thinking......it's one hell of a 3 grand player.
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited February 2003
    yeah man and that sucks
    Dan