Inline speaker/sub and Bi-Wire?

jbowl
jbowl Posts: 72
When I originally purchased my setup I was mostly interested in HT.

But now I'm becomming more motivated towards music, or at least equal to HT.

Bi-Wired my RTI-70 and noticed an improvement in sound-stage and it also seemed a little brighter.

Now I'm interesed in running speaker-level to my PSW450 without losing the improvement that bi-wireing gives me.

I read arguments that speaker-level vs. LFE wiring can improve audio quality. Seamless...

Anyone ever bi-wire and speaker level your mains/sub?

How?
Post edited by jbowl on

Comments

• elovejoy
    elovejoy Posts: 5
    edited February 2003
    I'm looking to do the same thing but am not sure if it's possible.
    Currently running Denon AVR 3600 biwired to RT 16's with a PSW 404 on sub out. Assume I would only connect the sub through the B outputs on the dennon (lower connectors on 16's now) and do nothing different with A outputs to the upper connectors. Will this be driving the amp too hard?
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by jbowl
    Now I'm interesed in running speaker-level to my PSW450 without losing the improvement that bi-wireing gives me.

I read arguments that speaker-level vs. LFE wiring can improve audio quality. Seamless...

I'd kill myself before I ran any sub speaker level. If anything, it sounds worse than line level - the receiver amp works much harder and runs out of steam much quicker - mids and highs suffer.

Bi-wire the RTi70's and run them on small and run the sub off the LFE unfiltered jack and be done with it.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by Dr. Spec
    I'd kill myself before I ran any sub speaker level.

So what would you do in a 2 channel application with no LFE jack?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited February 2003
    Originally posted by shack

So what would you do in a 2 channel application with no LFE jack?

I'd never buy equipment that wouldn't allow it.

My AVR has the ability to run in stereo mode with the speaks still on small and the sub still set to on. That's an important feature for me.

Sorry if I came off as crass - not intended. Speaker level has it's place if you cannot run as I described above.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS