SDA cable

Options
nik_martinov
nik_martinov Posts: 37
edited September 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Does anyone have a link to instructions on making the SDA cable (blade/pin)? I am really curious about this. It's really too bad Polk made their own proprietary plugs for this cable instead of a generic design. Polk's design was based on the English speaker pin/blade plug. The only difference was the size, Polk scaled it up by about 60%
Post edited by nik_martinov on

Comments

• dbnh
    dbnh Posts: 194
    edited September 2007
    Options
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited September 2007
    Options
    It has been covered before (lots), there are several solutions. I know the search engine on this site can be a pain but keep trying. You don't have to have the original connector there are work arounds that get the job done as good as the original.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • nik_martinov
    nik_martinov Posts: 37
    edited September 2007
    Options
    dbnh wrote: »
    The Conpendium has directions.

What is this SDA Compendium? who put this together? Is it published? I am really curious. My other love is JBL and I bought the "The JBL Story". Kind of thinking about the SDA Compendium but at $36 w/shipping I would like to know if it is a published work or what. Just curious.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,856
    edited September 2007
    Options
    It's the best source of info available concerning all things SDA. Just buy it is my recommendation.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2007
    Options
    What is this SDA Compendium?

It's an nice reference guide for SDA enthusiasts. It's interesting reading and it looks nice on your coffee table. You can read a description and table of contents here: SDA Compendium 2nd Ed. Announcement
    who put this together?

An SDA/audio enthusiast with over 20 years of ownership/modification experience, plus some academic training and professional experience in electronics.
    Is it published?

It is self published by the author. The author considered going the whole ISBN number and publishing house route, but that would have driven the cost up considerably. A niche item like this can only be produced in relatively small quantities. It is sort of like a limited run of an artwork.
    I am really curious.

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back.
    Kind of thinking about the SDA Compendium but at $36 w/shipping I would like to know if it is a published work or what.

Well, I've got one and I (and others) can assure you that, it's not some pamphlet thrown together in a couple of days.

The Compendium was produced for the hardcore SDA enthusiast. If you are not a hardcore SDA enthusiast, other sources of SDA information may be more economical and appropriate for your needs. For example, much of the material contained in the Compendium 2nd Ed. is available free of charge in the author's forum posts. The forum also contains a wealth of SDA information from other members and Polk Audio staff.

If the Compendium is something you might be interested in, please be advised that the initial production run sold out in January of 2007. A certain percentage of the printing run was set aside for "replacement stock" to cover the inevitable copies which are lost/damaged in shipping, and those that are chewed up by the purchaser's pets/kids. The author has been filling orders since January out of the replacement stock. That stock is expected to be depleted by the end of the year. No decision has been made on whether a second printing will be done, or if the author will just allow the Compendium to pass on into audio lore.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!