5.1 Not Working!!

Options
DevinVanBalen
DevinVanBalen Posts: 7
Just picked up my CS400i and R20's to complete surround sound. I have RT1000i towers and PSW120 woofer. Everything looks plugged in correctly. I cant get my center or woofer to work. The center has the 4 jacks for wire in back but the receiver only has 2 for the center? DVD has decoder built in and receiver has plenty of power to push all speakers. Is there any specific wiring i need to do to get or do to get the center and woofer working right? Any suggestions!!! Thanks
Post edited by DevinVanBalen on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Lets get basic for a minute. Does your receiver have an On Screen Menu? If so have you checked to make sure the center speaker is set to "On" or "Yes" Same goes for the sub. The 4 connections on the center are for biwiring the speaker, but for now lets see if we can get sound out of it before getting to fancy.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Does your receiver have a decoder built in? Does it have 5 or 6 channel inputs?

How is the DVD player hooked up to the receiver?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    So many questions
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    So many questions

Your point is?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I think Frankz is on the right track.. the center and subwoofer may be switched to "off" instead of "on". check those settings in your menu set up. all should be set to small or large, with the exception of the sub.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by phuz

Your point is?

On top of his head?
  • DevinVanBalen
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Frank Z - Checked the receiver and I couldn't find an on/off for center or sub in menu. All you can do for the center is select the sound field like phantom or live etc and rear is norm or hi, I didnt see anything for the sub. When I get sound for DVD I have to select 5.1/dvd as my sound field. Sony receiver model STR De535

Phuz - My DVD has the built in decoder because the receiver is a few years old. Sony receiver model STR De535 if that helps. The DVD is last years model (the last one they made with built in decoder I think) The DVD is hooked up to the receiver with Monster RCA's 2 in the Main RT1000i Towers and 2 for the RT20 Rear's. I only had lower grade rca to hook up center for now. The sub is plugged directly into the receiver.

Hopefully this info helps guys, if you need any more let me know Thanks!!!
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I got'a be honest - this type of setup baffles me. DVD has a 5.1 decoder and the recievers has 5 channel inputs but the reciever is stereo/prologic. This old school stuff is crazy man.
    I can't help ya. By the time you figure it out and buy all the cables needed - you could have just bought a new reciever with DD & DTS. And all would be simple.
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by DevinVanBalen
    The DVD is hooked up to the receiver with Monster RCA's 2 in the Main RT1000i Towers and 2 for the RT20 Rear's. I only had lower grade rca to hook up center for now. The sub is plugged directly into the receiver.

Have you tried a different RCA Cable for the center? Can your receiver handle a TOSLINK cable. Double check that your sub cable is actually connected to the proper output (Sub-Out). I just noticed that you do not list how the LFE (.1) ,is getting from the DVD player to the receiver, if you are using analog outputs from the DVD to the receiver you need to have a total of 6 cables.

Left Main
    Right Main
    Left Surround
    Right Surround
    Center
    Sub (LFE)
  • DevinVanBalen
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z

Have you tried a different RCA Cable for the center? Can your receiver handle a TOSLINK cable. Double check that your sub cable is actually connected to the proper output (Sub-Out). I just noticed that you do not list how the LFE (.1) ,is getting from the DVD player to the receiver, if you are using analog outputs from the DVD to the receiver you need to have a total of 6 cables.

Left Main
    Right Main
    Left Surround
    Right Surround
    Center
    Sub (LFE)

Not a newbie but I dont know specific terms when it comes too hooking this stuff up. (toslink and LFE?) I am running analog out to the receiver but I had sub running right into receiver. Do I want to run the monster rca from sub to dvd then receiver or the other way? Come to think of it i didnt have all 6 analog out connected at same time. I had the sub into the receiver and the other 5 l/r main l/r rear and center in the dvd.
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Not trying to talk down to ya, so bear with me okay. Here's what you should have if you are using 6 RCA (Analog) cables.

DVD player output----to----Receiver input

Left Main
    >Left Main
    Right Main
    >Right Main
    Left Surround
    >Left Surround
    Right Surround
    >Right Surround
    Center
    >Center
    Sub (LFE)
    >Sub (LFE)

Toslink is a fiber optic cable, one cable carries all of the digital signals(5.1) from the DVD player to the receiver.

LFE is Low Frequency Effects, basically the low frequency signal that is sent to the subwoofer.
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I realize that this seems really basic, but sometimes that's the best way to approach a problem. When the fancy crap doesn't work, go back to basics...works everytime.
  • DevinVanBalen
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Im nowhere near THAT bad just didnt know what the TOS was cause my Rec can't take a TOS link, but yeah thats what I had setup. Except for having the sub going from DVD to Rec. I had sub going directly to the Rec. So I need A: the dvd sub out to rec sub in and then the B:sub out to rec in or C:sub out to dvd in?
    do I want A and B or A and C?
  • Frank Z
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Yes the dvd sub output should go to the receiver sub input. If your receiver has a sub-out, it should go to the subwoofer itself. I'm not sure how the PSW120 is configured as far as connections go. If you do not have a jack on the sub that is marked LFE or Unfiltered, or even Filtered, then I would look for an rca jack that is marked Mono. On my sub it's the Left channel rca jack. Does that make sense?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Devin, what DVD player do you have? not that it will really make a difference.. but i'm just curious. plus, are you plugging in the two front RCA outs from your DVD player to your receiver? on most DVD players.. there are several RCA connectors.

they are on most, not all DVD players. but most.. 2 channel left and right stereo, 6 channel analog outputs, and a Toslink, and coax digital output, and S-video, and is some cases component video out, and finally, composite video out. It's easy to get mixed up sometimes.. the ins and outputs are not labled the best. I've been known to plug the wrong RCA connector to the wrong thing.. meaning... input instead of output.

double check that the 6 RCA output cables from your DVD plyaer like Frank mentioned are going to your 6 RCA inputs on your receiver. and not 6 RCA pre-outs.

good luck.. i'm sure with the help here.. someone will be able to figure it all out for ya. ;-)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • donahue
    donahue Posts: 125
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Devin

I used to have the same setup described. The receiver was "Dolby Digital Ready" and the DVD player had the decoder. I had a Sony DVD player and that is where you specified the on/off for the center/surrounds/sub, not at the receiver. Does your DVD player have an on-screen-display? If so, I would look within its menus for these settings.
  • Frank Z
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Devin,
    Any luck getting your problems straightened out?
  • DevinVanBalen
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Devin,
    Any luck getting your problems straightened out?

Frank Z - Been away for the weekend so haven't made any progress yet on the Center or Sub. I am going to pick up new wires and rca for the center and monster wires for rears in the next few days. Hopefully once everything has the right hookups and wires (and ALL 6 rca's in the DVD) then maybe it'll work. I'll drop a post and let you know once that happens.

Originally posted by danger boy
    Devin, what DVD player do you have? not that it will really make a difference.. but i'm just curious. plus, are you plugging in the two front RCA outs from your DVD player to your receiver? on most DVD players.. there are several RCA connectors.

Danger Boy - Not positive, I checked a few days ago, but I think the Sony DVD is DVP-v400p (something along those lines)

Originally posted by donahue
    Devin

I used to have the same setup described. The receiver was "Dolby Digital Ready" and the DVD player had the decoder. I had a Sony DVD player and that is where you specified the on/off for the center/surrounds/sub, not at the receiver. Does your DVD player have an on-screen-display? If so, I would look within its menus for these settings.

Donahue - Any quick ideas of why my setup is non-functional!! I have yet to check my DVD to see if I can turn my Center/Sub/Rears but other than that anything in particular you had to do to get your system to push sound in Center and Surrounds?

Devin
  • elsid88
    elsid88 Posts: 38
    edited February 2003
    Options
    and ALL 6 rca's in the DVD

DVB,

Based on what you state above, your DVD player has 6 RCA output jacks for each channel, and I assume your receiver is able to except external inputs. If this is so, is there something on your receiver that overrides it's own processor and allows in your case the DVD's processor to handle the 5.1 signal, and so all the receiver does is provide power for sound to your speakers? It should be like an input switch that toggles between the receiver or some external source.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00001XDXO/ref%3Dnosim/emvb-20/103-0037423-0891028

I found this link that has pictures of the back, but doesn't go into much tech detail as far as 5.1 mode. I'm thinking that somehow your receiver might be overriding the DVD's processor.

Just to get it straight. You have 6 RCA analog cables going from your DVD player to your external input jacks on your receiver, then you have speaker wire going to each channel from yhour receiver except for a sub cable going to your sub from the sub-out jack.

Please confirm.

Tom...
  • DevinVanBalen
    edited February 2003
    Options
    MISSION (partially) COMPLETED!!
    I went through in my DVD Menu setup and corrected/turned on all of the 5.1, surround, center, and woofer settings. I did not have a chance to test them before I came to work today though, or to pick up the new wiring and rca's. So when I get home tonight I am going to test all of the speakers which SHOULD be working now that the DVD has the correct audio settings. Hopefully this will work!!!
    DvB