Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
Under construction
Post edited by JimBRICK on

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Agree; that's an impressive receiver. How much do they go for??

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • bignorm
    bignorm Posts: 120
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Dude
    Eliab/Dave Abrams calibrated Panny
    Yamaha,Denon,Toshiba "in the rack"
    Polks all around
    SVS on the floor
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2007
    Options
    2200 bucks right now OUCH
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Well, that is less than I thought it would cost; I'd buy this one over the $4,000 Denon 4806CI......

Again, impressive AVR.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I think that is a very reasonable price for all that power (stable to 2 ohms), up to date processing with Burr Brown DAC, 4 HDMI 1.3 inputs, 1080p, etc.

Man, just hook up the LSis to that bad boy, sit back, and love life.

If you think about how much you'd have to spend on separates to get that many features and that good of power, you're looking at well over $2K unless you go used or steal them.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Too bad NAD still (except for their new Master series) looks like crap.
  • dane_peterson
    dane_peterson Posts: 1,903
    edited September 2007
    Options
    phuz wrote: »
    Too bad NAD still (except for their new Master series) looks like crap.

Agreed. I could make a model receiver out of cardboard that looks nicer than NAD stuff.

Still quality equipment and a good price though.
  • BottomFeeder
    BottomFeeder Posts: 1,684
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I like how NAD stuff looks.

Simple, uncluttered & unpretentious. :)
    "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Bob Seger
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2007
    Options
    it's not the best looking gear.. but it also doesn't look like crap. it is what it is.. and I betcha they sell a lot of them. At least you can spot a NAD piece of gear a mile away.. it's different looking than all others on the market.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • BrettT1
    BrettT1 Posts: 560
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I've got the T773. It seems rock solid, never had a problem with it. I gave $1550 from the SoundSeller in Wisconsin. I don't hardly notice it at the bottom of my rack. It's a heavy bugger.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I like how NAD stuff looks.

Simple, uncluttered & unpretentious. :)

Good points. I didn't mean to knock on anyones stuff, just my opinion. It's rock solid gear.

I wish they would update all of their stuff to look like the master series though. Seriously.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I also think NAD is rock solid gear. They tend to be more on the bright side of things but with LSI thats not a bad thing.

Looking over the spec's, it looks pretty damn good. It's got HDMI 1.3 for 4 and I'm very cool with that. It holds a 4ohm load which like many other better built receivers, this is a great thing especally for LSI owners and harder to drive speakers.
    On the custom side it looks great with IR routing, Triggers and rs232 for control. It even has the ability to turn on and off the soft clipping circuit. Thats Impressive. I'd like to go hear it.

Now on the looks department, it's ugly as hell. There master series is good looking gear, this is not.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    edited September 2007
    Options
    If it's anything like the T773 receiver, they have themselves another winner. Having owned mine for over 3yrs now I'm still impressed with it's rock solid performance. I love the way NAD gear looks, it's a breath of fresh air compared to the other manuf stuff. If I'm ever in the market for another AVR you can bet NAD will be at the top of my short list.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Mike682
    Mike682 Posts: 2,074
    edited September 2007
    Options
    damn..that's one fine receiver
    Receiver: harmankardon AVR235
    Mains: polk R30
    Center: polk CSi3
    Rear Surrounds: polk R20
    Subwoofer: polk PSW404
    DVD: Panasonic DVD-S29
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2007
    Options
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited September 2007
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I also think NAD is rock solid gear. They tend to be more on the bright side of things but with LSI thats not a bad thing.
    Keep in mind I have only heard my T163 - but I thought it was WAY laid back. Would have been fine for the RTi's, but way to much of a good thing with my LSi's. (keep in mind I am about 90% home theater) The stock T163 also seemed like I was listening to my speakers with a towel over them.

I swapped out the opamps at the pre-out stage and it sounds mucho better now. (well - integrates better with my LSi's anyway and no longer seems as veiled so at least it sounds better in my system) I am still thinking about upgrading the rest of the opamps in the T163 (stock it uses all NJM5523) - but for now I am pretty happy with how it sounds....

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • Lsi9
    Lsi9 Posts: 616
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Costs all that money and no DTS HD/DTS MA decoding??? I would wait...
    better yet I'd go separates buy a nice amp and used pre-amp with the intention of getting an updated preamp in a year or two that decodes anything you throw at it.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP
  • JimBRICK
    JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
    edited September 2007
    Options
    now hopefully the 773 will drop a ton and I can grab one. I really dont care about the hdmi
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I just paid $2000 six months ago for a new Arcam Avr300. It doesn't have half the stuff that this one has as far as features. Don't get me wrong...i love my Arcam but for pretty much the same money and a pile more features on the Nad...i would have bought the Nad.
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • mantis
    edited September 2007
    Options
    McLoki wrote: »
    Keep in mind I have only heard my T163 - but I thought it was WAY laid back. Would have been fine for the RTi's, but way to much of a good thing with my LSi's. (keep in mind I am about 90% home theater) The stock T163 also seemed like I was listening to my speakers with a towel over them.

I swapped out the opamps at the pre-out stage and it sounds mucho better now. (well - integrates better with my LSi's anyway and no longer seems as veiled so at least it sounds better in my system) I am still thinking about upgrading the rest of the opamps in the T163 (stock it uses all NJM5523) - but for now I am pretty happy with how it sounds....

Michael

I have Installed a few NAD receivers and found them to sound bright. One job I did in Phila Pa was with Vienna Acoustics speakers which sounded incredible on B&K gear and not so Incredible on NAD. The one thing that was totally different was the highs. It was to the point of shrill. It didn't sound like any blanket was on the speakers. it actually sounded like it could use one or 3.

At any rate different speakers are gooing to mate differently with different things. I also Installed NAD with B&W CDM series and it sounded incredible. Smooth and clear. No hint of bright or Laid back. It seemed to have a balance. Maybe the B&W speakers where a better match.

So this receiver did catch my eye. I'm waiting for it to catch my ears. With Rotels rollout of what they have to offer, B&K doing the same, it's going to be an intresting next few months. How I wouldn't mind stepping up to Krell but Something inside(my wallet)me tells me I need to stay around these parts.

Dan
    Dan
  • mantis
    edited September 2007
    Options
    MikeC78 wrote: »

Nice features but have you ever actually listened to Integra or Onkyo gear??? I find them to sound much like Yamaha in the sense of crazy brightness but Onkyo/ Integra has the thinnest sound I have ever heard. Compared to so many things in it's price class, I feel they are way behind.

I own a Intrega DTR 5.1 for my garage rig running a pair of Polk Atrium 55's and they sound so thin. I had to run the Bass way up just to get some bottom end out of them. I plan on getting rid of it. Even in my garage running background music with mounted outdoor speakers, it annoys the **** out of me. I got a crazy good deal on it and thought it would be fine for what I was going to do with it. I was wrong.

Dan
    Dan
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2007
    Options
    BrettT1 wrote: »
    I've got the T773. It seems rock solid, never had a problem with it.

Ditto!
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited September 2007
    Options
    They showed that receiver last year at CEDIA and STILL haven't shipped it yet. I saw the same ones in their booth at CEDIA this year too. Great line...our company used to rep it and the National Sales Manager is a great guy and definite audiophile.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited September 2007
    Options
    I wonder if it is the amp section that is making it sound brite? The T163 is a pre/pro so no amp stage. I did have a couple friends over and they all agreed with the "laid back" comment - as I said though, that is with my speakers in my living room, your mileage may vary....

(It would explain why others with NAD AVR's think they sound good with their LSi speakers though.)

Michael
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • edubbconsul
    edubbconsul Posts: 2
    edited September 2007
    Options
    Extreme AutoFest Car Show @ NHRA Sport Compact World Finals, Los Angeles / Pomona Raceway - Sunday, October 21st. Open classes
    for Car Show Competition, NHRA Drag Racing, Hot Bikini Contest, KillaFornia Breakdance Expo, and more! Televised on EPSN2.
    For more info, logon to http://www.extremeautofest.com

PomonaBackv2.jpg
  • edubbconsul
    edubbconsul Posts: 2
    edited September 2007
    Options
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,875
    edited September 2007
    Options
    impressive but looks wise...could use some lipstick and mascara
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited September 2007
    Options
    No DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD decoding is troublesome...I can only assume the HDMI 1.3 spec is based on Deep Color (which we may never see). A great sounding receiver I'm sure but if you're into new high res movie formats DTS MA and True HD should be high on your list.