Which Tweeter is better? RDO194 or Peerless

Options
engtaz
engtaz Posts: 7,654
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I have a pair of Monitor 5's with RDO194's and another pair of Monitor 5's with peerless. If you were to choose, which pair would you choose to use for your 2 channel setup? What would you recommend?

Thanks
engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
Post edited by engtaz on

Comments

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Peerless. IMO has a more laid back natural sound.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited August 2007
    Options
    You have both; what do your ears tell you? Not many have the chance to do a side by side comparison.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • geppy1
    geppy1 Posts: 3,071
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I have a pair of RTA 12bs here that i have switched the yweeters on about 50+ times in the last 2 weeks. This set came with the peerless but i made little wood blocks so the switch takes about a minute. I compared the silver face SL1000,Peerless and RDO194. Here is what i found as did others present. The silver SL1000 seemed alittle top and thin heavy but was very open and had great air. The RDO0194 sounded pretty smooth but seemed to close things down abit and squeeze voices. I always felt like I was listening to smaller speakers and had to look at the floor. The Peerless was very clear and fell in the middle openess wise and seems to add a depth the others do not have BUT on some recordings it seems somewhat aggressive . I would just hook up the speakers and switch them. I think the Peerless has the best overall balance of factors. Each to their own.I wonder what the FR charts look like? Keith
  • engtaz
    edited August 2007
    Options
    All I know is that stupid fuse and fuse holder get oxidized and the tweeter goes out or low. I not likey that.
    engtaz

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited August 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    All I know is that stupid fuse and fuse holder get oxidized and the tweeter goes out or low. I not likey that.

Yeah, after only 20 years. Geez I wished they made a better product.:p :p
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited August 2007
    Options

De-Oxit and De-Oxit pro gold. Set for another 20 years :p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Rd-0194.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2007
    Options

no wonder you're in FL

no oxidation up here in the Northwest. ;):p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I've finally succombed to peer pressure and ordered the RDO-194s. I've liked the 2000s, so I'm gonna come gunning if I've wasted $200 :p . Should be here Weds.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Ron Temple wrote: »
    I've finally succombed to peer pressure and ordered the RDO-194s. I've liked the 2000s, so I'm gonna come gunning if I've wasted $200 :p . Should be here Weds.

sucker!!! :p

seriously, it's a no brainer.. it's a much better tweeter..
  • Ron Temple
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Oh, I'm definitely coming for you DB, Mr. I can't stand the 2000 for 5 minutes...:p

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • heiney9
    edited August 2007
    Options

I can't stress enough they need to be broken in before you judge. I have never liked the sl2000 and the RD0's are the shiznit :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2007
    Options
    It's a proper soft dome, ie - DUH.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,878
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Double DUH!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ron Temple
    edited August 2007
    Options
    What's an improper soft-dome :confused: ?

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Ron Temple
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Just received the RDOs...I take it the red post is positive???

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • engtaz
    edited August 2007
    Options
    RDO are very positve. They are silky smooth.
    engtaz

• Ron Temple
    edited August 2007
    Options
    The binding posts aren't marked, there's red and metallic. I assume red is positive...doh...just looking for assurance.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Just received the RDOs...I take it the red post is positive???

Yes.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Mine will hopefully be here tomorrow. I'll start breaking them in in the 1C's for the time being. Plus, the crossovers have been redone in them so this should be fun!

I'm kind of getting tired of that spike myself so I am looking forward to the swap out.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • danger boy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    got my RD0's in the SDA 2A's tonight.. let em burn baby... they sound ok.. but I know the sound will improve over the next couple weeks. i had one SL2000 in one SDA and the RD0 in the other. big difference... the RD0 being more eloquent
  • Ron Temple
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Put mine in last night too. Seem slightly better behaved, but it's a very subtle difference...as expected...nothing different about the character of the speakers. I'm not much good at detecting differences over time, my sonic memory isn't that great. So we'll see.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • heiney9
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Put mine in last night too. Seem slightly better behaved, but it's a very subtle difference...as expected...nothing different about the character of the speakers. I'm not much good at detecting differences over time, my sonic memory isn't that great. So we'll see.

Wait until they have about 80 hours on them. When I first heard mine I thought the same thing you did. Now they sound fantastic. Recordings I couldn't listen to before are much better, not perfect but better.

It just takes time for them to break-in, don't come to final judement until then. Audio memory for very familiar music is really pretty good so keep listening to stuff you are familiar with to judge them.

Remember in the old days when an LP would skip or get stuck in a groove and then when it got fixed every damn time you heard that song in that spot you expected it to skip :p. Audio memory
  • Ron Temple
    edited August 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Wait until they have about 80 hours on them. When I first heard mine I thought the same thing you did. Now they sound fantastic. Recordings I couldn't listen to before are much better, not perfect but better.

It just takes time for them to break-in, don't come to final judement until then. Audio memory for very familiar music is really pretty good so keep listening to stuff you are familiar with to judge them.

Remember in the old days when an LP would skip or get stuck in a groove and then when it got fixed every damn time you heard that song in that spot you expected it to skip :p. Audio memory
    Don't have much choice :p I didn't expect it, but I was hoping for the kind of tweeter response I hear with a friends GRs, I think their Seas, but kind of like a fruity wine with plenty of aroma, some timbres just pop and blossom. I'm hoping...I mean I still want them to sound like Polks...just super Polks...:D .

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Damn...I was hoping mine would be here today but they didn't show! They were ordered on Monday and billed out the same day. Sigh...maybe tomorrow.

Oh crap! I just looked at my bank statement online and they billed me for 2 different orders at around $200 each! Looks like I better make a phone call in the morning since they are already gone for the day.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Ron Temple
    edited August 2007
    Options
    By god after 6 hours I'm either starting to notice or auto-suggestion is at play. Put in John Mayer's Heavier Things, the clap/slap main beat on the first track sounds much more alive and popping pretty damn good.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • heiney9
    edited August 2007
    Options
    By god after 6 hours I'm either starting to notice or auto-suggestion is at play. Put in John Mayer's Heavier Things, the clap/slap main beat on the first track sounds much more alive and popping pretty damn good.

It just gets better and better for the next month or so depending on how much you use the rig :D.

H9
  • engtaz
    edited August 2007
    Options
    I noticed mine getting better day by day but that being said RDO vs 2000, RDO winner from the start compared to the 2000.
    engtaz

• danger boy
    edited August 2007
    Options
    at first installation, the RD0's sound muddy and laid back. but they open up more after more hours are put on them. ;) right now mine just installed yesterday sound so so. But the SL2000's were grating on my nerves to much.. so they had to go. :)
  • avguytx
    edited August 2007
    Options
    You guys make me sick. :D I wish mine would've shown up today. Quit rubbing it in!