how to make a 6.1 set-up with amp separates

Options
brentski
brentski Posts: 96
I've been considering separates instead of a 6.1 rcvr.
My question is this;
is there a way to hook up separates (a 5 ch. amp and a pre-amp/processor) and wire it so that the rear center speaker receives a separate signal.
Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated
Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Simply put no. You have to have a EX/ES 6channel pre amp.
  • brentski
    brentski Posts: 96
    edited February 2003
    Options
    there's really NO WAY this can be done short of shelling out A LOT of $$ for a 6 channel amp/pre-amp? NO WAY?
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2003
    Options
    No, and thats my final word.In order to build a 6.1 system,you need the nessary porcessing and amps to do so.You can take to old fashion way of using a 5.1 processor and a pro logic receiver and make a mess of a system,it works but you have volume banking issues,I don't like to go that route.

So if you want it........get it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    imply put no. You have to have a EX/ES 6channel pre amp.
    Ya, a high quality 6 channel pre-amp. Not cheap.
    Kinda kills the whole seperates are the best way to go. If I were rich - then ya I would need my own powerplant to run my wall of amps. ;)
    For the price of a good pre-amp you could buy a decent quality 6 ch reciever.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Couldn't brentski mock up a rear center by wiring feeds from his surrounds to a sixth, rear center?
    Remembered this post in the “First Rig” thread over in 2-channel area.
    Originally posted by burdette
    1978, I got my first compact stereo; turntable, cassette, **8-track**, tuner.
    1980, built a pair of speakers (12" woofers, 1" domes). Connected the compact stereo through an old tube amp borrowed from a friend to drive the speakers. Used the speakers from the compact set for my first "surround" sound by connecting them to both + terminals on the amp (simple matrix).
    This was for surrounds, but I seem to remember there was such a trick for front centers years ago. Anyone?
    If I’m right, it would be an easy way for brentski and others to get a taste of rear-center cheap, before they spend bucks.

BTW Scott,
    After further review, I now agree with you that AVR’s area the least expensive road for those either starting out in HT, or upgrading AVR's like brent is. You get a lot for the money in AVR’s these days. Not true a couple decades ago of receivers, but true today. Still think AVR's come with some compromises/ downsides, but can't argue the $$$'s, if the buyer wants the latest SSP technology. Big concession from a die-hard "separatist".
    As for tomorrow??? The programmable 7.1 AVP’s could last through a lot of new decoding programs.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    *1*Couldn't brentski mock up a rear center by wiring feeds from his surrounds to a sixth, rear center?
    BTW Scott,
    *2*After further review, I now agree with you that AVR’s area the least expensive road for those either starting out in HT, or upgrading AVR's like brent is. You get a lot for the money in AVR’s these days. Not true a couple decades ago of receivers, but true today. Still think AVR's come with some compromises/ downsides, but can't argue the $$$'s, if the buyer wants the latest SSP technology. Big concession from a die-hard "separatist".
    As for tomorrow??? The programmable 7.1 AVP’s could last through a lot of new decoding programs.
    *1* yes, but it will not be discret for decoded DVD's (EX/ES)and there is a risk of quality signal loss and degraded sound.
    *2*I agree 100%
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Wow... wanna join me in a verse of "Kumbiya"?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tour - let's not get carried away now.;)
    I like Mosh Pits more.:lol:
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    To each his own...

Now back to helping brentski...

Is the way to mock up the center rear the same as brudette described, i.e., wire one surround's positive terminal to one of the rear's terminals and then wire the other surround's positive terminal to the other rear terminal?

Last thing I want is to get it wrong and blow a newbie's rig up.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• scottvamp
    edited February 2003
    Options
    Tour, there is an old saying - You can lead a horse to water but you don't want to get too specific and blow up someone's rig.
    Point the horse in the right direction and let'em go......
    Or something like that....;)
  • Tour2ma
    edited February 2003
    Options
    SCott,
    IOW... you aren't sure either... You by chance a lawyer? ;)

brentski,
    I'll hunt an authority here for you, and me... kinda curious myself now... just sit tight...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli