SRS 1.2 Retrofit now get aire release

Options
gdsk39a
gdsk39a Posts: 28
edited August 2007 in Vintage Speakers
Replaced all woofers and tweeters in my SRS 1.2's. They sound great. I noticed when I push on the passive radiator air can be heard coming out of the woofer area of some of the woofers. Is that normal? Of course I tried this with no music playing. I don't recal having heard that air noise before I did the replacement of the drivers and tweeters

I will tell you though that the rubber material not being cut where the holes are on the woofers is totally annoying. I hope I haven't damaged the rubber material when I tightned the screws as I noticed material would get caught in the screw and deform the rubber material.

Anyway anyone hear the air noise when pushing on the passive radiator?

Thanks
Post edited by gdsk39a on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited August 2007
    Options
    There is a thread or two about this and yes, it's most likely the rubber "tabs" getting in the way as it deforms the rubber surround on the drivers when you tighten them down. If you feel the drivers are ruined then contact Ken at Polk and he'll take care of it.

At this point I'd remove the drivers & carefully cut the offending excess rubber out of the screw holes and reinstall each driver to see if they are normal. If not, Polk will take care of it for you. Why the over lapping rubber isn't removed during manufacturing, I don't know. This has only been an issue recently.

Good luck

H9

Try to do a search for the two other threads about this exact issue.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited August 2007
    Options
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    edited August 2007
    Options
    Did you reuse the gasket material from the old drivers?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited August 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Why the over lapping rubber isn't removed during manufacturing, I don't know. This has only been an issue recently.

I agree, Its not like its cut wrong but placed on the driver wrong.

Make sure if you do this mod to the driver, you use a very sharp, new blade. If you pull the rubber while cutting, the driver is ruined.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek: