Wii Must Haves

Shizelbs
Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
edited August 2007 in Video Games
So, looks like my wife wants a Wii, and I sort of do too. Learn me about it.

What are the must have games and accessories? What are games you would consider are popular and I should probably own.

Also, its the placement of the motion tracking bar thing going to be difficult if I have my entertainment center bridge across the top of the TV? What types of HD video connections will I have as options?

Any other advice for a would-be owner is appreciated.
Post edited by Shizelbs on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    Extra controllers and rechargable batteries are definates. The sensor bar can go on top or on bottom of the TV. I hav mine just in front of the TV on the bottom. Beyond that, I got nuthin'
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Hell, Ive wanted to buy a Wii for the kids for 2 months and I cant find one!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited July 2007
    Component cables is your ticket to 480p.

Sensor bar placement isn't that critical. There are options for above and below TV, and sensitivity settings you can adjust if you have a large TV.

Wii Sports is an excellent game. Wii Play is trash but only $10 more than buying an extra controller.

I've had a lot of fun with Tennis and Golf on the wii sports, so you might look at Super Swing Golf or Tiger Woods 2008 if you like golf (tiger woods 2007 does not use the Wii controls well at all).

Zelda is an awesome adventure game, of course.

Resident Evil 4 you should buy because it is the best version of, perhaps, the best game of last gen.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • Shizelbs
    edited July 2007
    If I got a Wii, I would cetainly check out Tiger Woods. I know I would have a lot of fun with that game, swinging the 'club' in the house. I already like the game to begin with on the 360. I'm sure the interface of the Wii would make it exceptional.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2007
    Only problem is the Wii controller swing doesn't swing like a real club
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited July 2007
    Wii charger battery with stands and Rayman Raving Rabbits is a must have.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited July 2007
    Brain Academy is okay. My wife likes it a lot.
    Wii play is worth the $10 extra.
    Oh, and I'm about to get the battery and stands.

Anyone play Mario Party 8 yet? That will probably be my next purchase.

Overall we have been very pleased with it.

We've had ours for 3 weeks now. Happened to find 2 of them at a Walmart in OKC on vacation. They got 9 on a Tuesday morning. There were 5 when I got there, and someone else bought the other 3.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Disc Jockey
    Disc Jockey Posts: 1,013
    edited July 2007
    Tiger Woods and Zelda are both a lot of fun. With a little bit of self-training, the 2007 Tiger Woods actually works pretty darn well, the 2008 should be even better. Raving Rabbits was surprisingly fun though we only rented it. Another one someone told me was a lot of fun was some cooking game, I've been looking for it at BB and it's been checked out every time we checked over the last five months or so so that should tell you something.

Definitely get rechargeables. Instead of getting the Wii specific packs, I bought hybrid rechargeables which work great plus I can take them out and use them in other devices if need be. Enjoy, Wii sports is great for parties - even for those that never play video games
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • zombie boy 2000
    zombie boy 2000 Posts: 6,641
    edited July 2007
    The wife bought me one not too long ago.... and it has been crazy addictive. Granted I only have the Sport's package, RE 4, and Wario Ware, but all three are a blast.

Resident Evil 4 on any platform is a must-have, but the WII version is definitely the best of the lot.

Wario Ware, if you're at all familiar with the franchise, is like crack. Cannot be put down and will lobotomize you in a matter of seconds with its manic, steady stream of 3 second mini-games. It's even more fun with other people and drinks of the alcoholic variety. I prefer Thunderbird or Mad Dog 20/20. YMMV
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore
  • lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited July 2007
    Tiger Woods 2007 definately feels like a port. Your swing is basically just like pushing buttons. In the upcoming one the built it ground up for the Wii, so will probably be worth your time more. My friends and I play golf on Wii sports far more than Tiger Woods 07 just because the controls matter so much.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • bdaley6509
    bdaley6509 Posts: 1,167
    edited July 2007
    I really enjoy the paper mario for the wii.
  • Shizelbs
    edited July 2007
    bdaley6509 wrote: »
    I really enjoy the paper mario for the wii.

We watched the demo of that one. It looks like just good old school side to side Mario scrolling action. If and when we get a Wii, I will certainly buy that game.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited July 2007
    Silverti wrote: »
    Hell, Ive wanted to buy a Wii for the kids for 2 months and I cant find one!

Same here!
  • Disc Jockey
    edited July 2007
    okiepolkie wrote: »
    Anyone play Mario Party 8 yet? That will probably be my next purchase.

My wife just picked this up today. We and our daughter are having a blast playing it!

After further review, gameplay is pretty simple and not a lot of strategy but fun, especially for 3 or 4 players. There is an element of unpredictability in it which I think helps the younger kids do a little better and gives them a chance. Fun party game but I can't see this being a whole lot of fun playing by yourself. This may be typical of previous Mario Party games too, this is the first one I've played so I don't really know. There is quite a bit of instructional dialogue you have to keep pushing A to get through which is kind of annoying. There are a lot of different minigames, some of which make great use of the Wiimote and some of which are just so-so. Overall I think the minigames in Rayman are better, but MP offers the ability of 4 players. Some are free for alls, some 2 vs 2 , and some 1 vs 3.

Oddly enough, the introduction is in widescreen but the actual gameplay is 4:3. Graphics are very colorful but otherwise what you'd expect from the Wii
    "The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." Thucydides
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    Well, I got one. I went to Best Buy today to look for some accessories for our new Zune and just sitting on the shelf, ready to be scooped up, were six Wii consoles. I walked out with a Wii, extra controller and nunchuk, component cables, Super Paper Mario, the Zelda game and Wii play. Should be fun.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2007
    Cool, Shelby! For me, it didn't give me the same kick as playing GRAW on 360, but the kids love it more than I do. It's all good.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • okiepolkie
    edited August 2007
    Shizelbs wrote: »
    Well, I got one. I went to Best Buy today to look for some accessories for our new Zune and just sitting on the shelf, ready to be scooped up, were six Wii consoles. I walked out with a Wii, extra controller and nunchuk, component cables, Super Paper Mario, the Zelda game and Wii play. Should be fun.

Were you limited to just one of them? I could only get 2 of the 5 that were at walmart the day I found mine.

Been playing Meet the Robinsons and it has been pretty good for me so far.

Didn't know what to expect from Mario Party 8, but I rented it and haven't enjoyed it as much as I thought. I find myself sitting a lot, just waiting for the other computer players to take thier turns.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    The limit was 3 consoles. I thought about trying to sell one on ebay, but I bet thats not a viable way to make a buck anymore. Besides my bill was already pretty high by the time I saw the Wii, and it was much higher afterwards.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2007
    I scored one today at circuit city's web site. They were selling some bundle package. You couldn't just buy the console. I got the console, extra controller and nunchuck, tiger woods '07 and 20 point wii card (cheapest option, plus I can download old NES games with it).

Keep an eye on http://techbargains.com they posted the wii bundle for sale at CC this morning, they're all sold out now.

I'm still on the fence whether to keep it or not. I'm not a huge video game player but I played my brother's wii sports for hours last week on vacation. I haven't had that much fun playing video games since I was a kid.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • okiepolkie
    edited August 2007
    Bundles are in stock at walmart online for those of you interested.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    Hooked it up last night. Its weird not plugging in a optical cable for surround sound with a new piece of electronics.

Anyways, I am very glad I got it. Its very fun. Easy to play, but there is still lots of challenge. So far it seems more or less perfect. I had a blast playing with my wife. We were laughing the whole time, mostly at each other.
  • tommyboy
    tommyboy Posts: 1,414
    edited August 2007
    Hooked it up last night. Its weird not plugging in a optical cable for surround sound with a new piece of electronics.

And a huge mistake by nintendo, optical outs are not very expensive at all and even a $200 surround system has opt in. I just can't add it together why nintendo didn't include that option...

But what does it matter i guess, they are selling systems like hotcakes and almost back on top.
    AVR: H/K AVR240
    Fronts: Monitor 50s
    Center: CSI3
    surrounds: R15s
    Sub:Velodyne DPS10
    Dvd/Cd: Samsung HD upconverter (for now)
    TV: 50" Sammy Plasma
    game hardware: 360 and gcn.
    Gamertag: kovster27
  • okiepolkie
    edited August 2007
    tommyboy wrote: »
    And a huge mistake by nintendo, optical outs are not very expensive at all and even a $200 surround system has opt in. I just can't add it together why nintendo didn't include that option...

But what does it matter i guess, they are selling systems like hotcakes and almost back on top.

I haven't seen it as a huge deficiency. It would have been nice, but these type of games seem to be okay with PLII for me.
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    Eh, I really couldn't care less that it doesn't have surround sound. I'd rather have a cheap system thats easy to program for. I'm sure its hard enough to right the code for the motion of the remote, let alone worry about surround placement for effects and music. No one is buying the Wii for state of the art breakthroughs in technology. The Wii is for simple fun.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    Couple thoughts about my Wii experience thus far.

Setting up the wireless connection is so easy. I think I clicked two or three buttons and it was done.

The photo browser is the best I've seen to date. Its clearly better than the Xbox 360's, which I thought was good too. Switching between pics is very fast. The serene piano music in the background is a great touch.

I love how you can save things to your remote. We loaded our Miis onto our remotes last night before we went to our friends for dinner. We got to use our own Miis on their system. Very cool.
  • Disc Jockey
    edited August 2007
    I love how you can save things to your remote. We loaded our Miis onto our remotes last night before we went to our friends for dinner. We got to use our own Miis on their system. Very cool.

Now that you have the wireless set up you can network you and your friend's system so you can e-mail your miis over there and put them on your friend's system permanently.
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    Had to run to GameStop to get a new component cable for the 360. While I was there I figured I might as well pick up some new Wii games. I got the new Mario soccer game, Super Swing Golf, Resident Evil 4, and Red Steel. I think the four games came to just over $100. Not too bad!
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2007
    Questions about the Wii.

Can you only get 480p through component cables? I found these at monoprice pretty cheap LINK

Also, does anyone know if you can use gamecube controllers to play the older games that you can download to the Wii?
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • Shizelbs
    edited August 2007
    Yes, only up to 480p. It looks great though. You could tell me its high def and I would believe you, at times anyways.
  • tryrrthg
    edited August 2007
    Yes, only up to 480p. It looks great though. You could tell me its high def and I would believe you, at times anyways.
    but do you need to buy component cables to get the 480p? the Wii only comes with composite...