amp for LSi?

Options
infinitiqx4
infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
edited January 2003 in Electronics
Looking for a good 5 channel under 1000 for LSi9, LSiC, LSiFX. 150-200wpc. I have searched for the recommended brands, but haven't had much luck finding specifics since I'm looking at 4ohm speakers. Please give specific model numbers and links if possible.

Thanks
Post edited by infinitiqx4 on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited January 2003
    Options
    For that kind of money Rotel rmb1075.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I like that 1075 rotel, oh yeah !
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options

Well, this is the problem. They don't spec output to 4ohm! I am guessing the 125x5 might be appropriate, but is that for sure? Also, that runs 1000 I believe, so how would it compare to the Rotel?
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    I like that 1075 rotel, oh yeah !

Front runner right now obviously, but everytime I search the forums about it- people say "outlaw is cheaper" or "adcom is cheaper"... I just can't find any outlaw or adcom amps that are cheaper though! What models?
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    hmmm, I should consider the future too. Please let me know of any 7x channel amps that fit this 150-200 wpc at 4ohm, or if any of the 5x channel amps have a matching 2x channel. The Rotel doesn't seem to have an exactly matching 2x channel (plus their 2x channel are VERY expensive per watt in comparison to the 1075).
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Here's the link for adcom specs including 4 ohms ratings.

http://www.adcom.com/specifications.htm

I love the new look of the amps!
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Adcom, Arcam, B&K, Carver, HK, Marantz, Outlaw, Parasound, Rotel... They are all great amps. I am sure there are more that I have not mentioned.

Listen to some and see what you think. Try not to get overly concerned abouts specs. As the saying goes, "if the first watt sucks, why continue". You may find that you do not like the sound of any of the above suggestions.

Buy an amp for the long term. If you have to spend extra above your budget now, in the future it could save you the cost of purchasing the amp you initally should have.

Let us know what you think of some of the suggestions when you have listened to them.

Happy evaluating...

The Rotel RB-1070 matches the RMB-1075 to make a seven channel combination. The 1070 costs more per watt because any one channel on the 1070 is better than any one channel on the 1075. When you are ready for seven channels, you can use a 1070 for the main L+R (LSi9's??) speakers for two channel sources. The 1075 can be used for surround channels.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by fireshoes
    Here's the link for adcom specs including 4 ohms ratings.

http://www.adcom.com/specifications.htm

I love the new look of the amps!

Actually, I don't see any specs for their current amps which are:

GFA-7700
    175 Watts x 5 Channels

GFA-7607
    125 Watts x 7 Channels

GFA-7605
    125 Watts x 5 Channels

I assume those are 8ohm... What would be the 4ohm? Ballpark I think the 760X would be nice, but where is the info?
  • nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Infinitiqx,
    I just went through what you went through. Two that I would recommend are the Parasound HCA 855 and the Adcom line-up. I ended up getting an Adcom GFA 7400 which I think is last years model. It feeds my LSI's 150 watts of power. The Parasound is a very nice amp too. I listened to both and the Adcom had a little more power and just sounded a little better to me.
    I have the the Adcom bi-wired to my mains and the center running on the 5th channel. Next to the speaks it's the best upgrade I have made. It adds power and clarity that I never imagined. It will make you appreciate the LSI's even more, they need good power to shine. REALLY improves the low end. You will not be dissapointed. I bought my Adcom new, but you can find used ones for five or six hundred bucks. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Nat
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Whoa!

Just got an offer on the AVS forum for both a Parasound HCA-2205A and a HCA-1500A used for $1400. Is that a good deal?

The power is actually way beyond what I was looking for, is this too much? 300x5 and 315x2. The LSi are rated at 200watts!

The 2205 is manufacturer rated at...

Continuous Power Output - Each Channel: 220 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 ohms, all channels driven; 300 watts RMS x 5, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 ohms, all channels driven

http://www.parasound.com/service_in...d/hca2205A.html

The 1500 is manufaturer rated at...

Continuous Power Output - Stereo: 205 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 8 ohms, both channels driven; 315 watts RMS x 2, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 4 ohms , both channels driven
    Continuous Power Output - Mono: 630 watts RMS, 20Hz - 20kHz, 8 ohms

http://www.parasound.com/products/a...1500aspecs.html
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by infinitiqx4
    Actually, I don't see any specs for their current amps which are:

I assume those are 8ohm... What would be the 4ohm? Ballpark I think the 760X would be nice, but where is the info?

These are 8 ohm power ratings. You can increase it by 50% for the 4 ohm power rating.

Products are so new the full specs page has not been updated. But it definitely says 8 ohms for the new 5 and 7 channel amps.

These are also "all channels driven" power ratings and the power supplies are mono-block design, like the Rotel.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS