Take This Job and Shove It!

scottvamp
scottvamp Posts: 3,277
edited July 2007 in The Clubhouse
Well guys, i put in my 2 week notice today. November would have been 15years in the Mechanical Aerospace industry. (Honeywell) My girlfriend of ten years is getting laid off in a month due to downsizing (telecommunications). We are going to enjoy some time off together for awhile. I have been working since i was 16 years old. I have absolutely no bills and both cars are paid off. I will use up most of my 401K but i will talk about this time off for the rest of my life.
I saw a sinking ship and bailed. I see desperation, safety and quality issues. And higher ups are resigning. They just called for a minimum of 6/12's a week, mandatory. 90degree atmosphere, dirt/chemicals, whip cracking production and constantly being talked down to by supervisor's. I have busted my butt to be debt free and make a good hourly wage. So that i CAN work 40 hours a week and enjoy life a little more. I was getting burn out all around and its time for me to move on and start new career.
Good chance i will move to Reno. At least it is more north. I really hope to find something i enjoy doing even if it doesn't pay as much. I'll be 35. For the first time in life i don't know what's next and i like that.
I was hoping that members my age and older could comment on similar experiences and pro's/con's.
How did it work out for you?
Scott:cool:
Post edited by scottvamp on

Comments

• WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,708
    edited July 2007
    I have busted my butt to be debt free and make a good hourly wage. So that i CAN work 40 hours a week and enjoy life a little more.

I have been debt free for about 10 years now, except the morgage, and that only has 4 years to go. There is nothing like the feeling of knowing your prepared completely if your job disappears, or you decide to leave.

But personally, I would not waste the 401K, the sooner you build that up, the sooner you can retire for good! At least that's my plan, currently putting in 15% (max allowed) and buying stocks when we can afford it.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2007
    Good for you Scott!

In a nutshell, I was 34 back in 2001 when I quit a job of 14 1/2 years because I absolutely positively hated everything about it. I had no career and I felt like I was sinking fast. I went to Microsoft school and DJed at the stripclub. It was a drastic change in my life and I was nervous as hell...BUT I was determined to make it.

Best damn thing I could have ever done!

Now, I'm in my 4th year of working in the IT field and things have skyrocketed for me, more than I could have ever dreamed. I still DJ, got a little photography business on the side and feel amazing!

Make the change if you have to and push forward. you're in a good position with no debt.

Best of luck to you!

John
    No excuses!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited July 2007
    I agree,I'm 54 and will be retiring in one year and one month:D:D:D

Don't touch that k-plan if at all possable...I've been contributing in ours for the past 20 years...and it's really going to make QUITING WORK much easier.

Even though this week has been pretty rough on investments.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    William, sounds like you are really on track for a great retiremnt . Congrats!

Thanks John, i can only hope things go for me as well as they have for you. Sounds like we were in the same place: job, time and age wise. Small world!
  • Nisqually Dave
    Nisqually Dave Posts: 220
    edited July 2007
    Hey, I know you are going to take time off, but boeing is hiring right now for building the new Jet Liner in Everett Wa
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Hey, I know you are going to take time off, but boeing is hiring right now for building the new Jet Liner in Everett Wa

Thanks Dave, i love Washington. I can move anytime. Could you PM me and give more info. maybe a weblink or contacts.
    Scott
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited July 2007
    Scott, I've faced that situation many times in the past. I right now am on forced retirement and luckly I am debt free also with the exception of a mortgage. But I can tell you this, the single regret that I have is that I used up my 401ks, profit sharing, and pensions before I retired to keep afloat. If I had to do it all over again the only thing I would change is to find an alternative to using up the 401K or any pension. This is good advise.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2007
    Hey... I'm interested in Boeing in Washington too. I'm tired of Automotive downsizing. Send me info on Boeing. Thanks!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited July 2007
    Leave a large block of cheese wrapped with a cell phone power cord in the break room before you leave.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited July 2007
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Leave a large block of cheese wrapped with a cell phone power cord in the break room before you leave.

That's a good way to get yourself in jail.:rolleyes: I don't think that is even remotely close to joking matter.

BTW, good for you Scott! Enjoy! I'm soo glad I'm home now from the military, currently hitting the books.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited July 2007
    dude, no kids? debt free? no obligations... go for it.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    BIZILL wrote: »
    dude, no kids? debt free? no obligations... go for it.
    Thats the local feedback i get and the way i feel.

Thanks a bunch for the input thusfar. I knew i would get some flack for using my 401K, but we are talking a very small stash after taxes. Nothing life changing. I do not have near what i should. I just hope i SEE retirement....:(
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    I’m 34 and with the exception of my mortgage and one car payment I’m debt free (well, my basement HT project is looking like it might create debt since Im breaking my budget already). No more credit cars and such. Most of it came from selling my house at the middle of the housing market and getting into a new one well before it poped. In 3 years Ill be clear of that. Right now we are dumping in about 20% of our income into 401K. My wife loves her job, she’s a nurse manager. I’m an IT manager and I've been in computers for 15 years and I’m looking to get out bad (sorry, but ya, 95% of computer users in this world shouldn’t be using them and I’m tired of cleaning up after people who are comp-u-tards). In a few years I hope to get out of it and get into a lot more relaxing job.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • scottvamp
    edited July 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Roll the 401k into an INGdirect acct, I get almost 5%
    I would like to, but i need the money to get by for a little while. Unless i find something to supplement income during this transition.
    I hope to use some of it for some type of technical training. I would Love to get into the HomeTheater industry. I have job searches on some of the big sites but no hits in that "Field".:(
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2007
    if you don't roll over your 401K, Uncle Sam will take a freakin' huge chunk of it.

I learned the hard way when I left a job about 15 yrs ago. I bought a house and a dumpy car, and uncle sam came looking for me shortly thereafter. I was not pleased having to fork over 34% of my 401K to uncle sam. :mad:

If there is any other solution to you not having to touch your 401K, do it. Even though you're pretty young still... having that nest egg sometimes can't be replaced.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2007
    I'd hold onto that 401K. You can still quit and have some fun for awhile without spending everything. The best things in life are not necessarily the most expensive.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited July 2007
    Waste is right! Don't be stupid & roll over that 401K otherwise The govt. will be more than happy to use up a good bulk of your 401k for you!!!

Unfortunately, being an adult means working unless you are independently wealthy. Yeah working sucks but you're only 35 with at least 32 yrs more to go. It will be even longer if you blow that 401k money now.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited July 2007
    I agree,I'm 54 and will be retiring in one year and one month:D:D:D

Don't touch that k-plan if at all possable...I've been contributing in ours for the past 20 years...and it's really going to make QUITING WORK much easier.

Even though this week has been pretty rough on investments.

I must agree, my dad just retired this yr at 55, my step mom will retire in 4 yrs at age 50. They worked hard to pay off the mortgage and save in their rrsp = to your 401K ( I think)
    Its so nice to see young people retiring and enjoy life !good for you!
  • krabby5
    krabby5 Posts: 923
    edited July 2007
    scottvamp wrote: »
    Well guys, i put in my 2 week notice today. November would have been 15years in the Mechanical Aerospace industry. (Honeywell) My girlfriend of ten years is getting laid off in a month due to downsizing (telecommunications). We are going to enjoy some time off together for awhile. I have been working since i was 16 years old. I have absolutely no bills and both cars are paid off. I will use up most of my 401K but i will talk about this time off for the rest of my life.
    I saw a sinking ship and bailed. I see desperation, safety and quality issues. And higher ups are resigning. They just called for a minimum of 6/12's a week, mandatory. 90degree atmosphere, dirt/chemicals, whip cracking production and constantly being talked down to by supervisor's. I have busted my butt to be debt free and make a good hourly wage. So that i CAN work 40 hours a week and enjoy life a little more. I was getting burn out all around and its time for me to move on and start new career.
    Good chance i will move to Reno. At least it is more north. I really hope to find something i enjoy doing even if it doesn't pay as much. I'll be 35. For the first time in life i don't know what's next and i like that.
    I was hoping that members my age and older could comment on similar experiences and pro's/con's.
    How did it work out for you?
    Scott:cool:

be happy..I'm 37 and in debt up to my eyeballs
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53, Polk RT800i fronts, Polk CS400i center, FX500i surround, Velodyne sub
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, one more:
    DON'T TOUCH THE 401K!!!
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • Skynut
    Skynut Posts: 2,967
    edited July 2007
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Waste is right! Don't be stupid & roll over that 401K otherwise The govt. will be more than happy to use up a good bulk of your 401k for you!!!

Unfortunately, being an adult means working unless you are independently wealthy. Yeah working sucks but you're only 35 with at least 32 yrs more to go. It will be even longer if you blow that 401k money now.

I second that.
    You might not be happy when you figure out you COULD have retired at 55 or 60 instead of 75 if you had not spent that money.

When investing for your future you can not make up for time lost.
    If that money sits and only grows at 10% it will still grow, if you spend it you start over and you give the government their huge penality.

I say enjoy life as much as possible without spending the retirement money.

I always thought I could just put more away when I got older and make up time; well that isn't really working out as well as if I had kept a little aside each year of my life.

My Mom tried to get that into my head when I was 18 but I wouldn't listen.
    If I had listened to my mom I could stop investing now (at 40) and still be a millionaire when I retired.

I still might make it but it will be close.
    Skynut
    SOPA® Founder
    The system Almost there
    DVD Onkyo DV-SP802
    Sunfire Theater Grand II
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    Panamax 5510 power conditioner (for electronics)
    2 PSAudio UPC-200 power conditioners (for amps)
    Front L/R RT3000p (Bi-Wired)
    Center CS1000p (Bi-Wired) (under the television)
    Center RT2000p's (Bi-Wired) (on each side of the television)
    Sur FX1000
    SVS ultra plus 2

www.ShadetreesMachineShop.com
    Thanks for looking
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Lasareath wrote: »
    I'm 38, been IT consultant since 91, I love the comp-u-tards!, they eff up everything and I get to charge everybody $100 an hour to fix it!!! ;)

HAAH! that nothing, before I hired my network admin, we were paying a consultant $150 an hour! We forked out $90K the year before I started here on him. After I started, the first year was $50K. Then I hired my network admin salary at $55K and the consultant got $0 :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing