Best Path For Computer to Receiver?

Options
smalltownheel
smalltownheel Posts: 39
Was wondering if I should use AirExpress w/ AirTunes from apple to get my music from iTunes to my Denon 2803 or just run cable underneath the house? I read that through AirExpress you lose sound quality, but I could buy the remote to go with to have more control. If I go underneath (less than 20 ft. run) what cables should I use? Thanks.
Post edited by smalltownheel on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited July 2007
    Options
    connecting a computer directly to a avr almost everytime has a ground loop problem. Unless both are on the same circuit.
    Depending on your outs on your computer, using coax for long runs is perferred. Or even rg59sd. Then terminate with RCA ends.

You may need a gound loop buster.

I perfer to use Sonos for computer to gear transfer.

www.sonos.com

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Mine are on different circuits and no ground-loop problem.

My mobo(ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe) has optical, coax, and analog outs. I'm using Monoprice coax from the mobo to my Onkyo receiver and a SignalCable Silver Mini from the mobo to my McIntosh Pre.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • MLZ
    MLZ Posts: 214
    edited July 2007
    Options
    My PC is connected to a SilverStone EB01 USB DAC (internal soundcard was noisy and poor sound quality) and via a Belken PureAV RCA audio cable, 12 feet to my stereo receiver with no ground loop problems even though they are on the same circuit.

I also stream via CAT5 over 50 feet to my Roku Soundbridge (wireless constantly rebuffered WMA lossless) and then digital coax into my Onkyo 603 AVR, again with no problems
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I use an M-Audio Sonica USB device to send a digital signal to whatever source or system I want.

I suggest using some sort of device that will send a digital signal Vs. analogue.
  • smalltownheel
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I've read about sonos and it seems really nice, but not really trying to spend that kind of money. Maybe in the future though. Got to get back to work :( so I'll figure it out and post what I decided later. Thanks again, this is truly a great place! Now if only I can get some replies to my thread in the Speaker Forum.:)
  • smalltownheel
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Is this what you recommend phuz? http://www.amazon.com/ M-Audio-Sonica-Theater-24-Bit-Surround/dp/B00009L7N9

Nevermind, link didn't work, 1st time trying to insert a link.

Tried to link this -->M-Audio Sonica Theater USB 24-Bit Surround Sound Module

I'll try again, MLZ??? -->http://www.onheadphones.com/product-reviews/dac/silverstone-ensemble-eb01.html + http://tech.yahoo.com/pr/ belkin-pureav-rca-audio-cable-12-ft-/1991386422

I guess links work now???
  • smalltownheel
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I guess I'm an idiot b/c the more I read the more confused I'm getting. :confused: Guess I just need someone, in as dumbed down a way as possible, tell me what exactly to buy. Not looking to spend over $175, if thats possible.
  • MLZ
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Is this what you recommend phuz? http://www.amazon.com/ M-Audio-Sonica-Theater-24-Bit-Surround/dp/B00009L7N9

I'll try again, MLZ??? -->http://www.onheadphones.com/product-reviews/dac/silverstone-ensemble-eb01.html + http://tech.yahoo.com/pr/ belkin-pureav-rca-audio-cable-12-ft-/1991386422

That is what I have and last year the best price was from NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=EB01&x=16&y=27 The silver version is cheaper now because it is not in stock :confused: . I paid ~$85.00 last year for the silver because then the black was not in stock.

Note the EB01 is only 2-channel (all I wanted or needed) while the MAudio is 7.1

While Monoprice.com might be cheaper for the analog cables between the DAC and receiver, I just purchased mine from NewEgg while I was entering my order.

Anyway I am very happy with the sound quality and the convience of having all my CD's (over 650) ripped to a lossless format and played via Windows Media Player 11
  • Face
    edited July 2007
    Options
    The price on this isn't bad if you don't mind running a cable. http://signalcable.com/analogmini.html
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • smalltownheel
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I don't mind running a cable at all. Just want to know the best way at a reasonable price. The cable suggested is an analog cable and I think it was phuz who recommended that I only run a digital??? I would also like to have the ability of 5.1, but since its for music, I guess 2-channel will do. Do ya'll usually listen to music on 5.1 or 2-channel? My setup: Denon AVR-2803, LSi15s, LSiC, LSiFX, and SVS PB12-Plus
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Squeezebox! I love it. Simple. Easy. I have it connected to a switch (shared with an Xbox 360 and a Buffalo Link Theater). Will integrate with your iTunes. Unfortunately, it's a bit outside your price range at $300.
    http://www.slimdevices.com/

Another option is a Buffalo Link Theater on clearance from frys.com for $89.99 with free shipping. http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4441996?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The Buffalo, regardless of the advertisement on the box, will not play Apple Lossless which is why I have a Squeezebox since all my stuff is in wave or apple lossless (we have a few ipods in the house).

If you can, I highly recommend the Squeezebox.
  • NeilGabriel
    NeilGabriel Posts: 1,487
    edited July 2007
    Options
    MLZ wrote: »
    My PC is connected to a SilverStone EB01 USB DAC (internal soundcard was noisy and poor sound quality) and via a Belken PureAV RCA audio cable, 12 feet to my stereo receiver with no ground loop problems even though they are on the same circuit.

I also stream via CAT5 over 50 feet to my Roku Soundbridge (wireless constantly rebuffered WMA lossless) and then digital coax into my Onkyo 603 AVR, again with no problems

1. can you guys explain this ground loop issue. I had been running my computer out to my receiver with the single strand line that connects to a y adaptor at the receiver? Nothing in between. Now that I have a longer run, I get a lot of hum, especially whenever the plug touches anything metal.

2. For wirelss options that use 2.8 gHz broadcasting, does this knock your wireless Internet router off?

Thanks
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2007
    Options
    For over a year now i have my computer with a basic sound blaster card with rca outs. Bought a $12 20 foot rca cable running into my Onkyo. I use iTunes music and radio. Not a single problem and it sounds amazing.
  • MLZ
    edited July 2007
    Options
    1. can you guys explain this ground loop issue. I had been running my computer out to my receiver with the single strand line that connects to a y adaptor at the receiver? Nothing in between. Now that I have a longer run, I get a lot of hum, especially whenever the plug touches anything metal.

2. For wirelss options that use 2.8 gHz broadcasting, does this knock your wireless Internet router off?

Thanks

Search this forum or AVSForum or Google "Ground Loop" to understand the 60hz hum it causes.

Wireless I mentioned is 802.11 wireless networking between your router and device (Soundbridge, Squeezebox, etc.) and so shares the same internet connection for internet radio, etc.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited July 2007
    Options

Yes that is what I am using. I prefer digital so that I can use an external DAC which provides better sound quality over most PC sound cards. It also prevents ground loop or quality issues that some analogue connections have. It also allows for easy surround sound from a PC. Running 5+ RCAs for surround sound would be a pain.

It wouldn't hurt to try a splitter and long RCA. If you are happy with it then go for it.
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited July 2007
    Options
    i didnt read all of the posts in this thread, but the best recommendation i can give to you is to get a decent soundcard. i am sorry, but onboard audio is not IME even *close* in SQ to even an inexpensive card like the m-audio 2496 (about $100). FWIW.
    a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2007
    Options
    I use a SB XF-i that has an AC3 port to connect to my Onkio.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • smalltownheel
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hey I really appreciate all the help! I think I'm gonna go with the M-Audio. Might be a week before I get it hooked up, preoccupied with work, but soon as I do I'll let you know how it sounds.
  • Face
    edited July 2007
    Options
    honda cber wrote: »
    i didnt read all of the posts in this thread, but the best recommendation i can give to you is to get a decent soundcard. i am sorry, but onboard audio is not IME even *close* in SQ to even an inexpensive card like the m-audio 2496 (about $100). FWIW.
    a
    I would say most onboard sound cards are junk, not all.
    From ASUS,
    "High Definition Audio
    Enjoy high-end sound system on your PC! The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature and retasking functions. With the 8-channel audio ports and S/PDIF out interface, you can connect your computer to home theater decoders to produce crystal-clear digital audio."
  • MLZ
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Hey I really appreciate all the help! I think I'm gonna go with the M-Audio. Might be a week before I get it hooked up, preoccupied with work, but soon as I do I'll let you know how it sounds.

I started with an internal MAudio Revolution and a second hard drive for music files. But on my inexpensive HP the soundcard picked a lot of noise with I/O to the second drive. I also had a bit of trouble locating a free IRQ. MAudio support said if I reloaded windows with some different settings my problems should go away, but being a chicken, I returned the card for the USB DAC. The install was very quick: just pluged in provided USB cable, Windows XP SP2 figured out drivers, etc.
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    I would say most onboard sound cards are junk, not all.
    From ASUS,
    "High Definition Audio
    Enjoy high-end sound system on your PC! The onboard 8-channel HD audio (High Definition Audio, previously codenamed Azalia) CODEC enables high-quality 192KHz/24-bit audio output, jack-sensing feature and retasking functions. With the 8-channel audio ports and S/PDIF out interface, you can connect your computer to home theater decoders to produce crystal-clear digital audio."
    face, please dont take offense, but that seems along the lines of the things one might read in an ad for something like a HTIB system, or some other do-it-all dealy. just saying.

you are absolutely right, though, that all chipsets are NOT created equally. sound, video, etc, etc. personally, i have yet to experience awesome onboard audio, even on "awesome" machines.
    a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • MLZ
    edited July 2007
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Get a Roku Soundbridge. Worked great for me till I decided mp3 wasnt good enough. The Roku's have digital output so you can use the receiver's DAC. You can also use the analog RCA's.

Where my 2-channel system and PC were in the same room, I used an external USB DAC and play music via Windows Media Player 11.

For my living room, I used my wired network connection to a Roku Sound Bridge 1001 and then digital out to my HT receiver.

I also bought a 60 gb Toshiba GigaBeat to carry my music with me.

The cool thing is once you have all your CDs ripped to your hard drive, you can access the music files many ways. You can also back up the music files and store them offsite in case of a disaster. And at today's cost of hard drives, you should rip to a lossless format which will give you flexability as standards evolve.