Please someone help me

MOMOcivic
MOMOcivic Posts: 20
edited January 2003 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I am trying my hardedst to build the best system i can for the money and put it in my civic clean but i keep hearing mixed reviews on the type of box i should be using for my 2 mm124's. I hear BP and selaed back and forth. Please someone shed some light on which set up would be best for me. I have a 700s running the subs and a 500x running my 2 pair of mm6's. Each amp has a 1 farad cap. I havent put not even one piece of this stereo in because I want to make sure its done right. Please if you have a suggestion i would love to hear it....thanks:confused:
1 pair MM124
2 pair MM6 6.5
1 Rockford 700s for the subs
1 Rockford 500x for the seperates
1 Rockford One Farad Cap
Sony Xav-7w head unit
All Monster wire, RCA's, fuse blocks and battery terminals.
Post edited by MOMOcivic on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    well teh absolute most general answer that i can offer you that'll please everyone in these forums is as follows...

sealed box: offer's best "flat" frequency response while providing a proven enclosure for sound quality use of the momo woofers.

bandpass: offers a possibly louder / boomier response due to the box's design. while this design dramatically decreases the sound quality performance of the woofer it will most certainly result in a good deal more "bump" from the woofers.

for further details on what several people think of both sealed / bp boxes -- go in the "Car audio and electronics" link and click on "bandpass box?" the one with like 35 replies. It's not a pretty post, but it really does clearly define both points of view on the topic and will give a semi-thorough description of both bandpass and sealed characteristics... Jstas gives a thorough run through of a bandpass's chief purpose / functionality / adaptations...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2003
    since when do we care about pleasing everyone in the freakin forum? All I care about is Car Audio and making sure the folks who visit here get the right information.... could really care less if I offend anyone with my OPINIONS... ]

If you use the BANDPASS box..its gonna sux... flat out..straight to the point..no if's...and's or butt's... that leaves you one option with your choice of subs....and thats a sealed enclosure built to polks specks.....It does not get any easier than that!

Next issue... why are you wasting your time with caps.. dont use em..sell em..you dont need em... especialy on your mids/highs...this is a total waste of TIME AND MONEY ...... IF you feel you need them on your subs...for estectics.. fine...but its just that....I doubt you will hear any diff with or without it..

anyway..sorry to be so straight forward...but you wanted what's up....

good luck..peace out....KEEP CAR AUDIO FUN!!!!!!!!:cool:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    lol.. thomas... i'll take some before/ after pictures of my voltage meter with the two 81000d's runnin full blast with and then without the 3 caps. :o)
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    Not too burst your bubble..but you get the right results with the proper electrical system...supplying the power. CAPs are a band aid and can be helpful in sq vehicles with an already properly designed electrical system.

one note on the side. It has been proven that caps end up hurting spl #'s....
  • MOMOcivic
    edited January 2003
    well the tangent you went off on was nice but my caps aren't really the question here...i got em cheap enough that i am not worried about having them, and i feel that in my little civic with my little battery i need them to stop the massive drain i am gonna have from the bass hitting hard, the real question was does anyone know of a program or something that i can use to design my box.
    1 pair MM124
    2 pair MM6 6.5
    1 Rockford One Farad Cap
    Sony Xav-7w head unit
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    search google.com dude -- i dont remember the names of them but like 2 yrs ago i was bored and found several on there... most are dos based ms-basic written jobbers... so you'll need a pc to run them (mac / unix wont work).

that or call the guys at polk -- i know Kim and crew use a program to design the bandpass iso baric boxes for the momo / gnx etc etc etc... i'm sure a similar one is avail for other styles even (vented, whatever).

if they wont give u the program, i'm sure if u give them the dimensions that u have to work with and **** that they'll like enter the data and fax / email you a printout of the program's results... they're pretty good over there.

call em... that's what i'd do.

and thomas -- you're right... as far as caps for spl -- least in my mind its simple... if your cap discharges.. as it recharges itself it is suckign current away from your power system, which means that's that much less power that your amps are getting when you burp them. so in effect.. you get a 1/2 second "boost" from the cap... but then you get a 3 second "lag" or draw... is that the general idea you were tryin to get across to me? or is it something difft than that?
  • MOMOcivic
    edited January 2003
    thanks dodge
    1 pair MM124
    2 pair MM6 6.5
    1 Rockford One Farad Cap
    Sony Xav-7w head unit
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    actualy you missed my point.. caps can actualy hurt your sound... but again..your system... if you want the caps..go for it.... I figured since you had not installed them yet.. I might save you the install....again..dont know why your putting them on your mids/highs... /// boo ya:rolleyes:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    *points to self* "i missed point...s tupid me..." --- lol... if its not too much of a PITA, could u give me the cliff's notes version of "why" ?
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    Point being...that your mid/high set up does not have the power drain that the subs have..thus thats why most use the stiffning capacitors in the first place. If you want to use the caps to try to filter your voltage..then that would go under the hood..not by the amp....
    Funny thing is..you would only notice a diff if your running very high end amps, cables etc... basic everyday stuff... wont even notice!

I have a very low tolerance for caps. Thier are many missconceptions about them...and usually the advice about them comes from folks who dont know beans about electronics. (except vinnie..he knows some beans)

I like to do things right... I dont like to "band aid" things. And if i give advice....I mean what I say..and I do what I mean.... Car audio is fun... but it can also have some adverse effects on the performance, cost and longevity of your vehicle... its not always a game...wich many think it to be... Guess that comes from being older.....
    Peace out

:cool:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    Lima, Kidney, and Green.... I'm a smart guy.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    You mean "SMART AZZ":

:lol::lol::lol::D