2»

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited June 2007
    Options
    tryrrthg wrote: »
    Nice work!

Did you end up going with the monoprice mount? How far from the wall does the TV stick out? Do you have any pictures from the side?

I did end up going with the monoprice mount and it stays closer to the wall than any other mount I've seen. I will take some side shots today after I clean up my mess a bit. :D
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I did end up going with the monoprice mount and it stays closer to the wall than any other mount I've seen. I will take some side shots today after I clean up my mess a bit. :D

I am so tired and sore from my project I am rolling around in my mess! and I don't care:p
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I am so tired and sore from my project I am rolling around in my mess! and I don't care:p

Well I can't walk on my floors at the moment, ever step I take is over more piles of crap. The sheetrock dust is EVERYWHERE and really difficult to clean up even though I had everything covered in plastic.

The clean up is the easy part, I had to empty out a big closet to run some of the wires through so it gave me the chance to clean all that stuff out. All my old school stuff from high school and first years of college was in there.

I did manage to find a folded envelope from a psycho ex-girlfriend of mine. It had my name "Mark" on it with a heart around it. I'm afraid to open it, I think I'm gonna burn it for good measure.:D
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited June 2007
    Options
    great job and thanks for sharing this. i'm in the middle of a similar (slightly larger) job and plan to incorporate some of your ideas with the wiring. maybe i'll put together some pics and post what i've done so far.

couple of questions. where did you buy your wall plates? can they handle 12 awg wire?

A quick list of my upgrades:
    -tore out the crappy paneling in my den, getting ready for drywall
    -ran wire for side and rear surround
    -ran coax for sub
    -replaced all coax with new Belden, new splitters
    -added 4 recessed lights w/digital dimmer (love this)
    -rewired ceiling fan so i don't have to pull that stupid string for lights
    -added 15 amp circuit for plasma & low amp stuff
    -2 network cables from computer room for xbox & future?

i can basically walk in my attic blindfolded now :D
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Wall plates came from www.monoprice.com and ebay, HDMI dual from ebay and the rest from monoprice. Yes they can handle 12 awg no issues. Do you plan on using banana plugs? The monoprice ones that you solder are great!

You can run 1 or 2 network cables, you can always added a small switch later. Make sure your outlet above your TV is dead center of the bracket, those brackets are very close together on the back of the TV so it's essentially to have the outlet land right in the middle of them.
  • Bamadude
    edited June 2007
    Options
    yes, i decided to go with banana plugs based on all the comments here in the club. i thought about going with ones from bluejeans which is where my speaker wire and coax came from, but i'll definitely check out monoprice now.

so to make sure i have this straight, you used banana plugs on the inwall wires connecting to the back side of the wall plate? or did you solder the wires directly to the posts on the back side of the plate? i didn't know there was room to use banana's from both sides... i might have this really screwed up.

thanks for the help
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Bamadude
    edited June 2007
    Options
    well i see the pic now where you showed banana's on the back of the wall plates so that answers one of the questions, but can u still use plugs from the front too? are they deep enough?
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Yes I used soldered bananas on both sides in case for some strange reason I break the wall plate or want to put in a different plate I can just unplug them and put the new plate on.

You can use bananas on both sides of the wall plate, no issues. That's what I'm doing.
  • Bamadude
    edited June 2007
    Options
    cool, thanks for all the info. it's good to see a finished job for extra motivation.

-bamadude
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Couple more finished pics. Last pic is the TV against the wall for an idea of the spacing.
  • Bamadude
    edited June 2007
    Options
    man i'm trying not to get jealous of the space you have left and right. i only have 83" because there's a big honkin fireplace in the corner that's cramping everything. i guess HT wasn't very big in the early 80s when my house was built. because of this I'm struggling with how to place my TV and speakers as well as decide on a new cabinet. i'm a real geek so i modeled some options to try and figure out a good setup. you can see in the pic there's little room left and right. i actually thought about tearing out the fireplace.:(
    ht.jpg 84.8K
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Why not above the fireplace? or suspend the TV from the ceiling in front of the fireplace? They sell some really nice brackets now that drop through the ceiling.

Fyi, my house was built in 1980 and this is the basement :)
  • Bamadude
    edited June 2007
    Options
    we've considered it there, but the finance wants it low. mostly because she prefers if there, but she also had neck surgery last nov and still a little sensitive to looking up. i'm having to give in a little here and there since she hasn't bucked about budget ;)

oh man, if i had a basement i'd be one happy camper.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    OH YEA, dont put the audio and video wires near the electrical wires.......don't put them in the same bundle :D.

I know you probably already knew this but better off safe than sorry than getting some weird noises/lines on your TV
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Can you take a picture with dim lights and your fancy backlight? I'm curious to see how it looks now that you have a tv in front of it.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited July 2007
    Options
    Sure. When I get home today I will.
  • michael_w
    edited July 2007
    Options
    It reminds me of a certain system I saw a video of a while ago. It produced an ambient light from behind the tv that changed colours and brightness according to what was actually displayed on the tv so that it looks more natural and as if what was playing was actually happening in the room. I'm assuming it would also help to reduce any fatigue when you're watching a movie in a pitch black room.

Great idea and it looks like the room is coming together very well! The backlight should go perfectly with the power button of the samsung. The rope lighting would be great for a safe way to add an underglow effect... it's giving me ideas now :p
  • BaggedLancer
    edited July 2007
    Options
    michael_w wrote: »

Great idea and it looks like the room is coming together very well! The backlight should go perfectly with the power button of the samsung. The rope lighting would be great for a safe way to add an underglow effect... it's giving me ideas now :p

Thanks.

The backlight matches the power button perfect :)

the rope light is extremely safe and that is why I chose it. It doesn't get hot, it doesnt melt the walls, the bulbs don't need replacing.....it's a great product and super cheap(about $9 for 18 feet at Home Depot)

Give it a try, you'll like it.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited July 2007
    Options
    michael_w wrote: »
    Can you take a picture with dim lights and your fancy backlight? I'm curious to see how it looks now that you have a tv in front of it.

Here you go. Sorry for the blurriness of the first 2, my camera skills about those of a small animal.
  • michael_w
    edited July 2007
    Options
    That's pretty cool. Thanks for posting those.