Started my construction project - LCD on wall

Options
BaggedLancer
BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
edited July 2007 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
Well, today I started my project of getting my TV on my wall and snaking all the wires for the speakers, sub, video, EVERYTHING. I am tired of seeing a floor covered in wires so everything now will be no longer than 3-4 feet.

I'm doing the work myself so don't make fun of it too bad.....the big holes are so I could reach through the studs and they will be patched with strapping behind it and then I will put the squares I cut out right back in place.

Heres the start pics:
Post edited by BaggedLancer on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Edit: Had to include a picture of my hair after all the sheetrock cutting from the rotozip tool. Totally awesome, looks like I aged about 40 years.
  • GermanVirgins
    GermanVirgins Posts: 19
    edited June 2007
    Options
    yep..great idea..i hate the look of all them power cords laying around too.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Great idea. I wish I had done that. And it looks like you are getting ready to join the "Not So Much Hair Club." It's good to have new members. :D:D
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    janmike wrote: »
    Great idea. I wish I had done that. And it looks like you are getting ready to join the "Not So Much Hair Club." It's good to have new members. :D:D

haha nah I managed to save the hair......took about 20 minutes to get it out since as soon as it started getting wet it was clumping in my hair.

Couple more wires to run and I will start patching the temporary holes and then priming the walls for paint......I'm getting excited already :D
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Attached are pics of the plates I will be using. All the speaker wires will be soldered/shrink wrapped to the backs of the plates.

Pic 2 is all the equipment waiting to be installed/reinstalled.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Update: Finished all the electrical today. Have a new 15 amp service up near the TV with a switched recepticle for my backlight. Have a new 20 amp dual gang service down the lower wall for my outlaw/adcom setup.

Still searching for a nice UPS of some sort and an HD DVD player to complete the renovation :D
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Updated Pics. Yes the top box is crooked but I slipped with the air rotozip and had an accident so it ended up a bit crooked. Oh well, no one looks behind the TV anyway.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Today was another productive day. Finished the electrical and make the final connections at the breaker and tested everything. It works. :)

Got the wall primed and ready for finish coat......I have a feeling tonight will be close to an all nighter to get the final coats on. I decided to bump everything up a day and i want to get the TV on the wall by tomorrow night.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Great work you doing there. Those audio plate don't come cheap. Enjoy.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    So my dad just came in to take a look and goes "Wow, that's quite the wall of **** you have there" referring to all the wires coming out of the wall.

Fyi, 1st coat of color is on now......2nd coat will be in about 4-5 hours(around midnight EST). Hopefully it should be very dry by tomorrow night and I will get the TV up on the wall......I'm a bit anxious right now. :)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Couldn't resist and did another coat....can says you only have to wait an hour....and it looks fine. Here are the pics, still wet in some areas.....also couldn't resist putting some of the wall plates on......yes some are a bit crooked but I'll straighten them out tomorrow...im exhausted and there are booze waiting for me over a friends house.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Great work you doing there. Those audio plate don't come cheap. Enjoy.

Thanks.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    DIY backlight.....i purchased tracking to put the rope in but i just wrapped it aroudn the brackets to give you idea of what the final will look like. I put the recepticle on a dimmer so it can be bright or dim :)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Rope lighting track is installed. Here's how it will look before the TV goes on.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    DONE. All the wall plates are installed.......SOLDERED naner's behind each plate....no shabby work here. TV is on the wall, no major issues there either.

All in all, very big project for me to take on and successfully do myself but I am happy with the way it looks.

Pics attached.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Ok, so some of the plates are crooked.....

Ok, I lied, almost all are a bit crooked.....but no ones gonna see :D
  • engtaz
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That's because you didn't sleep last night. Looking good. Looks like your using some nice interconnects. Hurry throw the audio rack in front. LOL Try a laser level and adjust as needed.
    Congrats on a job well done.
    engtaz

• BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That's because you didn't sleep last night. Looking good. Looks like your using some nice interconnects. Hurry throw the audio rack in front. LOL Try a laser level and adjust as needed.
    Congrats on a job well done.

Yeah, eventually I will level all those out and make them nice....it's just a matter of adjusting the outlet before putting the plate on it......pretty minimal work but when laying on the ground soldering so many wires you just dont feel like doing it.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Nice job! I like the choice of low voltage rings in the drywall for your wiring. I used to be an electrician, and I like those the most. I have been real busy with my projects, and ignored yours:p I was like "yeah an LCD wall mount":rolleyes:. I am happy I stopped in. It is looking great. I love the rope light idea. I am looking forward to seeing it done! Its nice to see someone doing it right. I hope to someday have a semi permanent living place so I can implement things properly.

Way to go

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Nice job! I like the choice of low voltage rings in the drywall for your wiring. I used to be an electrician, and I like those the most. I have been real busy with my projects, and ignored yours:p I was like "yeah an LCD wall mount":rolleyes:. I am happy I stopped in. It is looking great. I love the rope light idea. I am looking forward to seeing it done! Its nice to see someone doing it right. I hope to someday have a semi permanent living place so I can implement things properly.

Way to go

Ben

The low voltage rings were a great idea until I started opening the wall. This area has flooded before(can't go higher than 1/2" cause it goes over the threshhold out the door) and it damaged a good portion of the sheetrock. I found myself doing alot of patch work with joint compound. Took a bit to sand it all smooth again but I am very happy with the results. Finished pics tomorrow when I get everything wire.....unfortunately the TV stand I want is backordered/discontinued so I am shopping for a new one.
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Options
    From what I see it is coming along very nicely:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    DOH, ran out of banana plugs, forget each wire had one on each end :D.

No big deal, I can screw them down for now :)
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    HDMI works! That was one of my biggest fears :D.....HDMI is way too picky with wires.
  • ben62670
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Looks sweet!
    congrats.
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Looks sweet!
    congrats.
    Ben

Thanks Ben, your SDA's look unreal as well. Eventually I want to build something that combines my Monitor 10 and my Monitor 5. Maybe make a Monitor 15 :)
  • engtaz
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Great work, Congrats You 2 make me tired. LOL
    engtaz

• BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Great work, Congrats You 2 make me tired. LOL

Thanks Engtaz......i'm beyond tired at this point and it was supposed to be my 1 week off from work......who would have thought. :D
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Great job there. Feels good, doesn't it. Now to enjoy it.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • BaggedLancer
    edited June 2007
    Options
    HTrookie wrote: »
    Great job there. Feels good, doesn't it. Now to enjoy it.

Thanks HT, yea it feels good to do a successful DIY project. Gotta finish getting my place cleaned up and back in order now!.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Nice work!

Did you end up going with the monoprice mount? How far from the wall does the TV stick out? Do you have any pictures from the side?
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15