Looking to buy HDTV, Sony 65"ws or mits 65"ws, any help?

Options
2»

Comments

• wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    Options
    fireshoes, which provider??
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by skurferuss
    ARE YOU SERIOUS, is that true about NOT requiring all shows to be broadcast in hdtv? If thats true im definatly NOT going to be purchasing now! I think thats a bunch of horse .... by the way! Why even go that route then, (NEW HDTV) unless your rich or you really like whats on hdtv now, i guess. I'm Bummed :(

I bought my ws Hitachi for DVD HT, not for HDTV. I didn't buy it with the tuner because I knew true HDTV was a few years off.

Regardless, the high def monitors look way better with DVDs than the low def monitors and that's what mattered to me. I haven't regretted my purchase for a microsecond and if you are into HT, you won't either.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I'm right there with Doc. An HD-Ready TV is a must to view DVDs in all their anamorphic glory. Totally worth the purchase. I'll never buy another analog TV again, they suck.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited January 2003
    Options
    65 in WS is a big investment. but to make a comparison, 55 WS is about the same across as a 60 standard. You can find 4:3 60" screens for about the same price as 55"WS... so which would you choose?
  • Gr8Polk DLR
    Gr8Polk DLR Posts: 1
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Soccerplyr

Mits builds many of the rptv's with hitachi parts

No they don't. Soccer player please go sit on the bench :lol:

As far as HDTV inputs go.

Component inputs are analog. In order to see encrypted HDTV and record HDTV you'll need DVI and IEEE1394. Depending on your service providor you can output both or maybe just one into your mitsu monitor.

Mitsubishi makes all their integrated sets (platinum/platinum plus/Diamond) with DVI & IEEE1394.

Non-integrated sets can buy the promise module for $995 installed direct from mitsu to get all the digital inputs.

Didn't anyone read about the CABLE TV alliance Vs. Consumer Alliance senate hearings? Bob Perry V.P. of MDEA (mistubishi digital electronics America) was the cheif negotiator for the consumer side. His team ensure we can record HDTV signals. Cable companies must allow the digital bitstream to be recorded, that means digital connections (not analog) will be needed to decode the bitstream. That means IEEE1395 and DVI.

:cool:
    Main L/R: Polk RT55i
    Stands: Sound Anchors Studio 24's
    Center:Polk CS245i
    Surround:Polk F/X 500
    Subs (2): Mirage FRX-S12
    A/V Receiver: Yamaha RXV730
    DVD Source: Yamaha DVD-C920
    SVHS: Sony SLV-900
    Phonograph: Marantz model 6350
    TV Tuner: CATV (where's my HDTV?)
    Power conditioning/protection: Niles Audio IPC-10
    Monitor: Sony KV-32HS12
    Interconnects: M.I.T. Terminator 4 series.
    Speaker Cable: Proflex 14-2B (14 AWG)
    Remote Control: Niles Audio IntelliControl

• infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited January 2003
    Options
    http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com

GR8Polk, you sure about DVI? I haven't seen it on Mitsubishi sets, nor do any of their spec sheets list it! Yes, to firewire though. If Mits has DVI, then Platinum jumps to the top of my list.

Did somebody say that their amp would need firewire? eh?
  • Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Gr8Pok DLR-

A friend of mine works for Hitachi here in San Diego and he said that they supply both lens and CRTs for several (I think he said 4) of the Mits RPTV's lines. He didn't know which TV's. I wouldn't make such a statement if I didn't feel confident in making it.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    Options
    i love my tv but if you get a hd ready tv right nwo in my mind it is a waste. there is olny 3 -5 channels that is in hi def. in a few years i will get a hi def box for my tv that puts out in 1080i. unless you have a dlp projector your sigonal goes from digital to analog. so y not just get a external box. in a few years they will be cheaper.
  • awolf
    awolf Posts: 4
    edited January 2003
    Options
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Go PLASMA! Looking forward to when prices for these sets are truly affordable (at least for me!).
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by kberg
    Go PLASMA! Looking forward to when prices for these sets are truly affordable (at least for me!).

The plasmas that I've seen have had some pretty jagged text, and the pixels are very visible.

I have to admit though, the brightness of the plasma and the idea of having a thin display is exciting.

What are the dead pixel rates of plasma TV as compared to LCD monitors for computers? Are the plasma TV's also plagued with slow pixel response times that LCD's have? (I think they are based on two different technologies, but just asking.)
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein