Looking to buy HDTV, Sony 65"ws or mits 65"ws, any help?

skurferuss
skurferuss Posts: 9
edited January 2003 in Electronics
Im looking to buy a 65" ws by sony or mits, my newsletter just arrived and helped me a little but Al Baron didnt finish the article. I see he purchased sony but im not sure if it was because of the 2/3 pulldown or why? I will only get models with dvi inputs since this seems to make sense for the digital connection. I have mits now 45" 4/3 so i know their good.That sony in the store sure does look good though, might even be a little better than mits im kinda thinking. Also my budget is $2,500 to $3,000. Any Help would be nice!!:)
" We are the Music Makers and We are the Dreamers of Dreams"
Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
RECV. Sony DA555ES
DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
MAIN. RT20
CENTER. CS350-LS
REAR. FX500
CABLES. Monster All
SPKR WIRE. In-Wall Monster
Post edited by skurferuss on

Comments

• Soccerplyr
    Soccerplyr Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    buy the Hitachi 65swx20b
    good article in last months sound and vision. If I remember the editor even bought it after doing the review. Mits builds many of the rptv's with hitachi parts so why not go straight to the source.
    The sonys have tons of little problems, I personally wouldn't even put them in the same class as hitachi or mits.

my 2 cents
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • skurferuss
    edited January 2003
    I must admit you are the first person to Ever mention Hitachi to me. I receive Home Theater Mag and i dont recall them mentioning any hitachi, but I must go back and look. I dont receive S&V, so I will try to find old copy at store, and I will look at that model # on the internet. I should have stated above and ill try to edit it, but my budget is around $2,500 to $3,000 .
    Thanks for taking the time! skurferruss
    Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
    RECV. Sony DA555ES
    DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
    VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
    MAIN. RT20
    CENTER. CS350-LS
    REAR. FX500
    CABLES. Monster All
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    i love my mits ws65819 it is real nice
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Gotta say I am really happy with my Mits 46807.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    Your GOING to pay too much for the Sony. Period!!!
    Go with the Mits. IMHO
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    Looked at Sony, found all of their products to be way too grainy for me. Mits is it, Tosh and Hitachi are decent but don't have near the tweakability of a Mits. Want some user feedback? Go ask around at:

www.hometheaterspot.com

Wally
  • skurferuss
    edited January 2003
    Thanks for the help i need it!:)
    Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
    RECV. Sony DA555ES
    DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
    VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
    MAIN. RT20
    CENTER. CS350-LS
    REAR. FX500
    CABLES. Monster All
  • jrd002s
    jrd002s Posts: 11
    edited January 2003
    skurferuss,
    For that price range, I'd also suggest the Mitsu. However, if your budget goes up, you can't go wrong with the newer Sony Wega models! Good luck with your purchase!

JRD :D
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    For that price range, I'd also suggest the Mitsu. However, if your budget goes up, you can't go wrong with the newer Sony Wega models!

Sony Wega - come on now. This is a man looking for a REAL tv.
    For 3 grand you might get a 30 incher. At that point u might as well look into LCD or PLASMA. Just like the Trinatron line - way over priced crap!!!! IMHO Sorry had to vent on that.
    Wow my house is shakeing and T-Rex is about 5"s but dam if I get about 8"s away I can see hydralic acid leaking from a very small crevis on his 78th vertibre.:lol: NICE!!!!!
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    Actually Scottvamp, you can get a GrandWega 50" XBR LCD Widescreen HDTV (1366 x 768 pixels) for $3999, and that's the crutchfield price, which is sometimes a little on the high side. That, at least in my opinion, is one of the top Televisions out on the market (besides plasma). Plasma is nice, don't get me wrong, but the price hasn't come down far enough yet to peak my interest.

JRD
  • skurferuss
    edited January 2003
    I just went to Frys (electronics store) and im thinking I should not have gone! I went in to look at the sonys and mits when, smack dab in the middle of them was a new dlp display. I think it was a Samsung 50" DLP. The detail of the images were incredible, they Blew the other hdtvs away. Sure the price was around $4,500 for a 50", but maybe i should wait and see if these prices will drop just like the hdtv's did after first release. I do want a 65" however and I know mits makes a dlp for around $15,000 (ouch, way too much) but im now wondering if ther are any 65" dlps by other companies in the say 5,000 price range. That is of course hopping that the price will then drop a grand or so by say next fall. I Hate all this new technology, no matter what happens it always seems im one step behind! :(
    Any thoughts on dlp, price, or name brands of them would be helpfull?
    Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
    RECV. Sony DA555ES
    DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
    VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
    MAIN. RT20
    CENTER. CS350-LS
    REAR. FX500
    CABLES. Monster All
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    Wouldn't it be nice to have enough disposable income (Bill Gates type money) to just buy things like that when you stumble on to them? We can all dream, right?

JRD
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited January 2003
    i have sold a couple of the samsung 50" dlp's, that picture is hard to beat so clear and sharp. if you can go for the samsung other than that stay away from sony projections they look like butt and go for the mits. the mitws55511 platinum plus retails for about 3,000 but you should be able to talk most places down a little has a hdtv tuner in it and what a picture, not sure off ahnd what the 65 goes for
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • 19ram98
    19ram98 Posts: 18
    edited January 2003
    Skur,
    Samsung's Tantus line includes a 61". I have one on the way. I don't know what the retail price is on it, but I would guess it to be in the 5-6k range.
  • skurferuss
    edited January 2003
    I was happy to see your reply, im gonna go look right now at that line.
    Thanks agagin,
    Skurfer:D
    Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
    RECV. Sony DA555ES
    DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
    VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
    MAIN. RT20
    CENTER. CS350-LS
    REAR. FX500
    CABLES. Monster All
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited January 2003
    I have seen the Samsung DLP and I am impressed with it. Plasma is droping. I was at my Costco and I saw a 42" plasma for just over 2K. I am not in the market yet so I did not get many details. You might check Costco and see what you find. I am in Silicon Valley so we may get a differect selection than the rest of the country.
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    Costco huh? I'll have to remember that. I know Gateway's new 42" Plasma is $2999, and I am assuming it is HDTV capable, but I don't know for sure. The set is actually produced by Philips.

JRD
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    It's just a EDTV, not high def. Sorry bro. :(
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    Not surprised...Thanks for the info Fireshoes!!

JRD
  • awolf
    awolf Posts: 4
    edited January 2003
    Recently bought a Hitachi 51SWX as it looked better than the Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba competition. There is also a 65 inch. Didn't see any Mits for sale in my area. Pioneer too expensive. Large screens look great when you have dvd or hd, but not so great with regular broadcasts, you can certainly see a difference from channel to channel.
  • jrd002s
    edited January 2003
    awolf presents a VERY good point about the regular tv broadcasts!!

JRD
  • skurferuss
    edited January 2003
    My friend just purchased the 57" sony ws hdtv. the picture looks great on hdtv and dvd but I see what you mean about the regular broadcasts, they seemed worse than the set I have now. I do watch some reg. broadcast shows and im now considering waiting for another year to go by because of this issue and the dlp issue stated above. Also, are ALL the shows I see on cable going to have to be broadcast in hdtv by 2006. Im not real sure if its just local or all broadcasts in general?:confused:
    Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
    RECV. Sony DA555ES
    DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
    VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
    MAIN. RT20
    CENTER. CS350-LS
    REAR. FX500
    CABLES. Monster All
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited January 2003
    Also, are ALL the shows I see on cable going to have to be broadcast in hdtv by 2006.
    No, nothing has to be HD by 2006, but everything must be digital.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited January 2003
    to get the best pic in my theater you have to sit in the back row to realey enjoy broadcast and there is not enough hd programing to warent the upgrade. but wow is way beter than comcast
  • infinitiqx4
    infinitiqx4 Posts: 80
    edited January 2003
    Gateway Plasma- NO. Cool, but not HDTV ;-)

Pioneer 64" at Costco- Yes. Great picture and price.

Sony 65- NO. very high percentage of their products this year have a flickering problem.

Mits 65- Yes. Good stuff.

But he said he required DVI input (don't forget HDCP)... not all these have it! Mits doesn't. Pioneer doesn't (their pricey elite line does). Hitachi would require SWX line or higher. Sony does, but the flicker problem is VERY common.
  • skurferuss
    edited January 2003
    I thank you for your time and opinon on the matter. Are you sure about the mits and the DVI, I was thinking about the platinum plus line. As for the HDCP (firewire?) I think this line has that. I am however unclear on if this is the only way to recieve 5.1 from a satelite hdtv receiver? As for my amp, its too old (2-3yrs) to have firewire so no help for me there.:confused:
    Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
    RECV. Sony DA555ES
    DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
    VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
    MAIN. RT20
    CENTER. CS350-LS
    REAR. FX500
    CABLES. Monster All
  • skurferuss
    edited January 2003
    ARE YOU SERIOUS, is that true about NOT requiring all shows to be broadcast in hdtv? If thats true im definatly NOT going to be purchasing now! I think thats a bunch of horse .... by the way! Why even go that route then, (NEW HDTV) unless your rich or you really like whats on hdtv now, i guess. I'm Bummed :(
    Willie Wonka.

TV. Mitsubishi vs-45605
    RECV. Sony DA555ES
    DVD. Sony DVP-S530D
    VCR. Mitsubishi HS-U55
    MAIN. RT20
    CENTER. CS350-LS
    REAR. FX500
    CABLES. Monster All
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Yeah, I actually want a Mits set, but also want DVI so I'm waiting until there are more options on the market. Mits doesn't offer it yet. Not that my current components use DVI, but Hollywood is trying to make it mandatory in the future. Seems a smart move for such an expensive investment that should last a while.

You can find the specs for the platinum plus at:
    http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/PDFs/platinum+Specs2003.pdf

It has firewire, but no DVI.
  • infinitiqx4
    edited January 2003
    Only time will tell if and when HDTV, 16:9, DVI, firewire, HD-DVD, etc really take over. No one knows for sure what will happen, or when. For sure I'd wait a few months for the DVI/HDCP thing to smooth out- then get as many inputs as possible so your tv will be as flexible as possible for the questionable future. Or just get something cheap, even 4:3 for now! by the time the digital TV is figured out we'll all have plasma anyway ;-)
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by skurferuss
    ARE YOU SERIOUS, is that true about NOT requiring all shows to be broadcast in hdtv? If thats true im definatly NOT going to be purchasing now! I think thats a bunch of horse .... by the way! Why even go that route then, (NEW HDTV) unless your rich or you really like whats on hdtv now, i guess. I'm Bummed :(

All I gotta say is ESPN-HD, coming in April 2003.