Best Value SPL Meter for < $100?

Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
Just did a thorough search, and after an hour or so of reading, I picked up a lot of good info (much of it from Doc.... no surprise, but many thanks), but no answer to my question.

Seems most folks have Radio (Rat) Shack meters and are satisfied, but Doc mentions having to compensate readings on the low frequency end and eyeball an average.

Question is what’s the best value in an SPL meter for $100 or under?

Thanks in advance….
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited January 2003
    I believe its like this, Rat shack analog for 30 or digital for 50, anything better will be much more then a hundred, I might be wrong though... depends on how precise you want for the subwoofer spl's i guess, The Rat shack one suits me fine.. E-bay search for spl or sound pressure meter will show you alot of models and prices in your range for sure, good luck
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    The Rat Shack digital suites me fine. With C-weighting on slow response I can get a good average and compensate by adding +2dB.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited January 2003
    The RS model is a veritable BARGAIN for $35. Yes, it is inaccurate below about 50 Hz, and it gets worse as it gets lower. But the good thing is it is quite accurate above 50 Hz and is fabulous for general system calibration. Plus, there are published correction factors for it if you are doing some low bass sweeps.

You can't touch this meter for anywhere close to the price.

I have a B&K meter at my disposal at all times, and it is professional grade and superbly accurate at all frequencies (it's been factory certifed twice now and I calibrate it regularly with the included tone generator). But have you priced B&K meters??!! Geesh!

Get the RS model, definitely. I like the analog for $35.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    Thanks faster, kberg and Doc...

Going to pick one up today...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD