I need a box

snappyjb67
snappyjb67 Posts: 13
edited January 2003 in Custom Fabrication
recently here i blew my dx 12's....yes, its very sad. I have pushed them both at 125 watts each for about 8 months, carefull not to blow them(because of underpowering). Also i carefully broken them in. THEN i got my new amp, and pushed a CLEAN 400 watts RMS to each one, and they blew!! i always thought it was a lot harder to blow them with more power! And get this, i was at circuit city this weekend, looking at the new momo in the custom enclosure. The guy is demoing it for me when it starts making a mechanical clanking sound and then it stops working.... wich is what happend to mine! he was pushing it with one MTX 8100D amp. i was supprised. ANYways polk no longer puts out the DX models so my replacement is going to more than likely be the GNX....i feel like its a bit of a downgrade, but at the same time i guess i will give them a try, its better than nothing! but to make a long story and longer, do u guys have any kick **** box designs for two GNX 12's?? if i get them i am going to request DVC's and push 200 watts to each sub RMS. wow that was long....thanks !
Post edited by snappyjb67 on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2002
    The GNX was the replacement for the DX, it's not a step down.

What are you looking for? As loud as possible?
  • tcostello3
    tcostello3 Posts: 1
    edited January 2003
    Just bought 2 of these and threw them in a Q-Logic bandpass. Feeding them 200w RMS each in the trunk of my 2003 civic. They slam pretty good!
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2003
    biggest mis-conception in car audio> you will blow subs by underpowering them ..before over powering...that is not true.

when you underpower your subs..what happens to the distortion.its turned to power..wich the sub can already handle do to under powering them

if you over powering them..you exceed the limits set for the sub..and the sub has no way of coping with the excess heat caused by the "extra" power...thus you will kill your subs.

this rule applys to subs only...not to comps etc...

the subs will handle underpowering well before over powering.
    I know there will be a flood of "your wrong"...but then again..that will show the "limited" know how of who's doing car audio these days.

I am an old school..who used to think that way also..till the data was thrown in my face.

peace out:lol:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    i think you're right thomas -- to a certain point... enough BADLY distorted sound will damage a sub... if you overrun a cheap low grade amp and you have your setting for bass / loudness / BBE / etc etc etc set to their extremes on the head unit, then you could actually create horrible peaks and valleys in the frequency range and that coupled with massive distortion could screw up a speaker pretty well.

but as far as "normal" underpowering -- a little extra THD never hurt anybody... just sounds like crap though ... and sometimes poor sound quality is worse than death ... death of a speaker that is...;)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    hehe..heck yeah... I'd rather over power a bit myself... if the sub runs at 400rms...lets pump 500rms to her... make IT squeel like one of them dudes in deliverence :0)

and your point is taken also about too much distotion..I doubt even a 9915 could take the power (distortion) of a pyramid amp..

:lol:
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2003
    oh.. deliverance.... lol.... you're only citing from that because you're back from the dead! nice to see you again old friend... wow... nice of god to send u back... from now u shall be Thomas the White instead of formerly Thomas the Grey. (watch the two towers... you'll understand).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    Actualy..I'm just Thomas the "miss-understood"...LMAO

As far as comming back from the dead.... Takes more than one ignoramous to kill me :)

I have a saying on my sounddomain posts

KEEP CAR AUDIO FUN

words to live and die by!!!!

:D