Great Canadian Polkfest

JimBRICK
JimBRICK Posts: 1,543
Still waiting for this one :)
But way to busy and disorganised to start it myself, we need someone to step up :D
2 CHANNEL
Speaker - Klipsch Heresy II
Under construction
Post edited by JimBRICK on

Comments

• joeparaski
    joeparaski Posts: 1,865
    edited June 2007
    I wonder how many Canadian polkies there are on the forum?

Joe
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited June 2007
    There's a few in ontario I think. Three or four in Vancouver.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited June 2007
    One in Yellowknife. If you guys do something in March of 2008 I will be in the TO area for over a week. Probably a bad time of year.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • joeparaski
    edited June 2007
    Any Polkies in Montreal? I guess I may be the only one. Ok, all Montreal polkies are invited to my place
    Amplifiers: 1-SAE Mark IV, 4-SAE 2400, 1-SAE 2500, 2-SAE 2600, 1-Buttkicker BKA 1000N w/2-tactile transducers. Sources: Sony BDP CX7000es, Sony CX300/CX400/CX450/CX455, SAE 8000 tuner, Akai 4000D R2R, Technics 1100A TT, Epson 8500UB with Carada 100". Speakers:Polk SDA SRS, 3.1TL, FXi5, FXi3, 2-SVS 20-29, Yamaha, SVS center sub. Power:2-Monster HTS3500, Furman M-8D & RR16 Plus. 2-SAE 4000 X-overs, SAE 5000a noise reduction, MSB Link DAC III, MSB Powerbase, Behringer 2496, Monarchy DIP 24/96.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2007
    michael_w wrote: »
    There's a few in ontario I think. Three or four in Vancouver.

One more temporarily in Ontario. Beautiful day on the harbourfront today in Toronto!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2007
    If we have it Joes in the fall maybe he can get us some tickets for a Habs game.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • joeparaski
    edited June 2007
    I guess I'd be lucky to get one Polkie over here:( However, I 'd need a week just to get ready. I've been collecting stuff in the hopes of improving sound quality and need to make time to put it all together. Here is some of the stuff I have that is NOT installed:

New RDO tweets for the SRS's.
    Upgraded subwoofers for the SVS's
    New cartridges for the turntables
    "THE CLAMP"
    A Sorbomat for a turntable
    New power cords (haven't arrived yet)
    4 acoustic panels
    2 "foam" pillar base traps
    1" thick marble bases for all the speakers
    speaker spikes
    Avid setup dvd and ratshack spl meter

I'm also sending the amps in to a technician to get them checked out and adjusted. He has 4 amps at the moment.

I am missing one very important thing still.....somebody with experience to help me set it all up properly and with a better ear than mine.

Joe
  • janmike
    edited June 2007
    Joe, you have enough gear to open your own shop in Montreal.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • JimBRICK
    edited June 2007
    you'll have a pile of polkies with keen ears to help you, POLKFEST "Settin up joes edition" Woo hoo

MARCH 2008 :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited June 2007
    if you have a Canada PolkFest, hold it in Vancouver so I can go. even though I'm not in Canada. I'd still try and make it.. hell even Calgary would be fun. ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    Holy crap batman, get those RD0 tweeters installed.. they ain't doing squat sitting in boxes. ;) will take you all of about 30 minutes to swap them all out. :)

get The Clamp locked onto your table.. you'll be glad you did. Run don't walk.

heck, whenever i have something arrive that i've ordered, i can't wait two seconds to try it out. but that's just me.. i'm sure you all have more restraint than I do. :rolleyes: ;):p

joeparaski wrote: »
    I guess I'd be lucky to get one Polkie over here:( However, I 'd need a week just to get ready. I've been collecting stuff in the hopes of improving sound quality and need to make time to put it all together. Here is some of the stuff I have that is NOT installed:

New RDO tweets for the SRS's.
    Upgraded subwoofers for the SVS's
    New cartridges for the turntables
    "THE CLAMP"
    A Sorbomat for a turntable
    New power cords (haven't arrived yet)
    4 acoustic panels
    2 "foam" pillar base traps
    1" thick marble bases for all the speakers
    speaker spikes
    Avid setup dvd and ratshack spl meter

I'm also sending the amps in to a technician to get them checked out and adjusted. He has 4 amps at the moment.

I am missing one very important thing still.....somebody with experience to help me set it all up properly and with a better ear than mine.

Joe
  • michael_w
    edited June 2007
    A vancouver polkfest would be fun. Unfortunately, I don't think I could host it since my "listening" room is 8'x13' ;)
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    A vancouver polkfest would be fun. Unfortunately, I don't think I could host it since my "listening" room is 8'x13' ;)

you could do the listening in shifts. ha ha ha.

i totally understand. my place is to small too..
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited June 2007

Actually, that's not that bad of a size.

I hosted the CPF at my place, with the main rig in about the same size of room. We had another rig in the basement, which was larger, but the acoustics keeped everyone upstairs anyway.

I guess if it wasn't for Rich(Scompracer) and Victor's(Halo) wife, who organized all the rigs, we would of ran into some trouble.:)

Would of been nice to have more room and space, but overall we all had TONS of fun, and I would not hesitate to host another one here.

You can always go look in the system showcase that Victor put together under, "Chicago Polkfest" for a better idea. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Mike
  • michael_w
    edited June 2007
    The size isn't too bad and it happens to work wonders for acoustics (in a near field, little speaker able to fill the room way), but keep in mind it's also my bedroom so all my other crap is in there too (bed, dresser, bar fridge and computer). With a recliner in there as well, it's more designed for one person.

It's actually a three bedroom townhouse, but since the downstairs main living room shares a wall with the neighbours it takes a toll on that option (not to mention the terrible acoustics because of the oddly shaped room and hardwood floors).
  • janmike
    edited June 2007
    Vancouver in January works for me. I go down there near the end of the month for about 10 days.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited June 2007
    janmike wrote: »
    Vancouver in January works for me. I go down there near the end of the month for about 10 days.

Hi Michael,

Let me know when and where. It'd be nice to meet up with a fellow polkie.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • michael_w
    edited June 2007
    Dave, are you in Delta or Vancouver?

A lot could change for me in six months (January) so I'm not sure about the hosting thing, but I'm definitely up for one in the lower mainland. It might come down to renting a small area. In fact, I can get us a rec center in Richmond for ten bucks a day that's big enough to fit up to twenty or thirty people + gear. And since it's 100 feet from my house I could wheel the bbq over.

FWIW, Richmond is about 20 minutes from Vancouver (Southwest marine dr. / Granville area).
  • janmike
    edited June 2007
    Hey Dave,
    Always downtown and I ususally stay at the Westin Bayshore. The event is the January 28 to January 31, 2008, but I usually go down the week before.
    The event is Mineral Exploration Roundup 2008. It would be great to meet a few others. That being said, I will be attending the October 2007 outside Atlanta this year.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • michael_w
    edited June 2007
    Okay so who wants to step up and lug some SDA's over here? :D I sill have yet to hear a pair, but I can provide the new (LSi9's) and some monitor 7b's. It would probably be crazy to risk moving them and freezing up a driver or two if it's anything more than a short drive.

I just sent nesticle a PM. He's another polkie from Vancouver, but he hasn't been on here in a few months so I'm not sure he'll get the pm. I know he has some nice monitor 10's that would make for a good side by side demo vs the 7's I own.
  • danger boy
    edited June 2007
    i've moved SDA's twice long distance... as well as Monitor 7's... yes damage can occur.. but so far I have either been lucky.. or it's pretty rare that the drivers get damaged. properly laid on their backs... is the way i've always transported them.. without removing any drivers or passives. :)
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2007
    Just a friendly word of advice, to make 'it' happen.

A. Take a roll call - who is where

2. Throw out a couple prelim dates

D. Get solid with the above data, set the date, the place, the plan

We SO need a Hoser Polkfest. Hell, I've never been to the Great White North, it's possible. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ

PS - 'Polls' work good for the first two points.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • michael_w
    edited June 2007
    Good ideas. Thanks Russ.

Maybe I'll have to take charge for the vancouver one and get planning on a January Van'olk fest (so JanMike can come too). Maybe I'll start a new thread with a guest list in a bit here.

I'll be making a new thread as soon as I can get confirmation that I can book the rec center for Jan 26, 2008 (a saturday). Speak up if there's a better day for you (maybe the sunday instead?).

Sorry Jim if I'm stealing your thread here... I'll soon leave it alone ;) Thanks for bringing up the idea.
  • janmike
    edited June 2007
    If you need any extra ice Michael let me know. It's usally around -30 in January so plenty to spare.
    Michael ;)

NORTH of 60°
  • joeparaski
    edited June 2007
    Ok, so that is a potential for Polkfest Canada West....perhaps I can do Polkfest Canada East sometime? Hmmm...food for thought.

Joe
  • JimBRICK
    edited June 2007
    Good ideas. Thanks Russ.

Maybe I'll have to take charge for the vancouver one and get planning on a January Van'olk fest (so JanMike can come too). Maybe I'll start a new thread with a guest list in a bit here.

I'll be making a new thread as soon as I can get confirmation that I can book the rec center for Jan 26, 2008 (a saturday). Speak up if there's a better day for you (maybe the sunday instead?).

Sorry Jim if I'm stealing your thread here... I'll soon leave it alone ;) Thanks for bringing up the idea.

hey I was looking for someone to take this and run with it :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • JimBRICK
    edited June 2007
    joeparaski wrote: »
    Ok, so that is a potential for Polkfest Canada West....perhaps I can do Polkfest Canada East sometime? Hmmm...food for thought.

Joe

I'm In for sure, east that is. Hopefully by then I'llhave my good gear and bring it along :)
    2 CHANNEL
    Under construction
  • michael_w
    edited June 2007
    Just too bad I don't live in Ontario ;)

When I get home from work in a few hours I'll call around and check about the rec center.
  • michael_w
    edited June 2007
    New thread for Vancouver / Richmond Polkfest!

Thanks Jim for letting me hijack this for a bit.