anybody have experience with AMC gears?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited January 2003 in Electronics
I am currently checking out some AMC gear(www.amchome.com) because I think getting into Rotel to power my LSi will be quite pricey. While I was surfing their site, I couldn't believe how cheap their amps cost with high power ratings. The thing that really interests me is their hybrid valve(tube) amps. So if anyone have heard some AMC stuff, please let me know what you think of them.

Thanx

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Just curious ATC, what AMC and Rotel amps have you had experience with?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanx for the great reply Venom. DAMN IT! I just got off the phone with my dealer and he informed me that they are not carrying any AMC equipments anymore. Now I have to search for a good dealer that carry AMC. I swear the place was full of AMC gear last time I visited in November. I wanted a really good receiver or pre around $1000 with DD and DTS and use a 2channel amp only for the mains(music is more important to me). I don't do HT very often. If I can't find anything else, it's going to be the Rotel RSX1055. I want to get into seperates but $ is a big issue and I may have to take the receiver as pre route. Again, thanx for the very informatie reply, Venom.

Maurice
  • organ
    edited January 2003
    Options
    AAAAAH CRAP!!! I just called again to ask about Rotel and believe it or not, he just stopped selling them as well. Now they only have Denon, Pioneer and Musical Fidelity(way too expensive for me). I saw some Sunfire stuff before but I bet he stopped selling them too. This is going to get very difficult for me.

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have the AMC 1100 pre-amp. I haven't heard it yet. The music goes through it, but that's it. Sweet deal! It's as basic as you can get and still have a few inputs and tone controls, but it suites my needs quite well.

ATCVenom: I've been thinking about AMC amps (the tube hybrids). I know yours is/was SS, but how did it sound compared to say a Carver m200t. Or compared to the Rotel integrated, but with that goes the question of what pre you used with it.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thats a nice SQL error on the AMC home page. :)

I'd sure like to check em out, but I can't!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Check out ADCOM, lots of power - clean at that. They play loud and their in the same price range as the AMC id think. I purchased the GFA-545II, not plugged up yet but its 100 wats x 2, with .04 thd - its loud and clean. Cost me $315, but you can get it for around 250
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Oh it's plugged in and the music it plays sounds great. I just meant I haven't heard the preamp itself. It's very quiet and adds or subtracts almost nothing. Sorry about the confusion. I will honestly say that I haven't hooked up that Carver amp yet.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • organ
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Thanx for the replies guys. MXP, I may check out some Adcom. I heard them powering B&W speakers and was very impressed. The dynamics was just awesome. But first I need a good receiver to use as a pre/pro. Looks like it's going to be Pioneer Elite VSX-41. I can't believe it retails for only $999 CDN. I will begin my search for an amp this spring and hopefully have one by mid-summer. Anybody heard the VSX-41 powering the LSi yet? I'm sure the Elite line is much better than my Onkyo which retailed for about $100 less 3 years ago.

Maurice