what speaker to add??

Options
brentski
brentski Posts: 96
edited January 2003 in Troubleshooting
I currently have a CS-245 center,2 RT-55's fronts,2 RT-35's rear and a JBL sub. I'm upgrading to a 6.1 system. It's been suggested by several here that I find a CS-400 to replace my center and use my current center (CS-245) as my rear center spkr. I called a local Polk dealer for another opinion. He suggested rather strongly that using the 245 as my rear center spkr. isn't a good move and that a much better option would be to find another RT-35 to use there. While it would be nice to add another 35 to the rear, finding a single one may be a hard task). Most folks on this board continue suggesting the first option.(my Cs-245 to the rear and a CS-400 up front).

Your opinion regarding this would be appreciated very much.

Another question. Would a CSi-40 for the front instead of the CS-400 sound as well as far as voice matching my 55's and 35's or should I stick with finding a 400?
Again,thanks for your advice and service.
Brentski
Center; CS-400i
Main's; RT-55's
Side Surround's-RT-35's
Rear center;CS-300
Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
Post edited by brentski on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    brentski, you are right.. finding just one RT-35 would be hard. I think if you go with either another 35 or move the CS245 to the rear..both will sound great. I say this because.. rear sound effects aren't as strong as a center or a main speaker. So as long as you stay with Polk brand and within the same tweeters.. you should have no problem using a CS245 as your rear center.

I don't often see a CS400i on Ebay. BUt maybe someone in this forum will be willing to part with theirs.. guys on here upgrade all the time..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brentski
    brentski Posts: 96
    edited January 2003
    Options
    what do you think about using a CSi40 instead of the 400 for the center?. I can get a 400 as well as a new Csi40 for about the same price. Should I stick with the 400 for the same voice matched speakers?
    Thanks again
    Center; CS-400i
    Main's; RT-55's
    Side Surround's-RT-35's
    Rear center;CS-300
    Sub; SVS PB12-NSD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited January 2003
    Options
    I have the 400 myself.. i have not seen or heard the CSi40, but i'm sure Polk built it to "mate" with their other speakers. so i'm sure it will sound great too. The 400 is heavy.. nearly 30 pounds.. take the into consideration too.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Har's 400i is up on ebay now-look for his post in the flea market :D

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.