You can see the SDA effect with this song

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,842
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Ok, so the lowest note on a piano is 26-27Hz, which isn't used very often. What else besides an organ drops down below 30Hz on a regular basis?

Now, the 1.2TL's are clean down to 27Hz and the -3db is 10Hz. If you're not hearing bass from those speakers, it isn't there or the rest of your gear is lacking. My point, again, is that by adding a sub all you are doing is boosting the upper bass, which makes it seem like you have more.

DofK, whew I feel better now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited June 2007
    Options
    SYNTHESISORS, SYNTHESISORS, SYNTHESISORS:rolleyes:
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2007
    Options
    So... how about those SDAs?
  • F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    SYNTHESISORS? Who the eff uses them anymore? :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, Sal, but the cannons in the 1812 shake the walls here without a sub. :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited June 2007
    Options
    synths, yes indeed... who uses them?? besides *most* recording artists?? what about ELECTRONIC music, lol? but lots of stuff produces harmonics or resonances BELOW their fundamental frequencies (which you refer to above). and the "cannon" shots referred to? depending on tuning, hall acoustics, and micing technique, a 40" (and often larger) concert bass drum has plenty of info at the low end of the hearing spectrum. hell, that is twice the diameter of a typical "kick" drum, and we are all familiar with the de facto low frequency "thud" that has become the recorded kick.

and dont even get me started on sub-harmonic processors (and lots of studios use *those* too).

i wish my main speakers displayed -3dB @ 10hz, lol... alas, pursuing music for a chunk of my life has left me much lighter on $$$ than on appreciation of music and sound quality... que sera sera...

a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the info. Like I said, talking out loud here.

I think we can agree that since DofK has 1.2TL's, if the bass isn't in the recording a sub isn't going to help find it.

President of Club Polk

• honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited June 2007
    Options
    yes we can.

brief aside, i was trying to recall the eliminator album, as its been ages since ive heard it. IIRC, there isnt much of dusty and frank on that record; i remember repetitive-pattern synth bass, sequenced drums, a few typical 80's synth pads, and lots of gated reverb. in fact, that was kind of the top's tendency from that album on, i suppose? the rev is a pretty smokin' guitar player, though. not overly technical, but you can tell he was feeling that stuff.

hmm, i think deguello is currently on deck after this one (some mahavishnu)... sda notwithstanding.

a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited June 2007
    Options
    You can see the SDA effect rather clearly in Steely Dans Song "Aja". A floor tom is pretty prominant in the left channel but you can see the right SDA speaker(s) move independent of the right stereo Speaker(s) everytime that floor tom is hit.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D