You can see the SDA effect with this song

Options
Deadof_knight
Deadof_knight Posts: 980
edited June 2007 in Vintage Speakers
OK if your a rocker then you will have ZZ top Eliminator album goto track 7 "thug" turn it up fairly loud and a couple notches on the bass as well and you can see the drivers acting independently course I like the song as well ..... then listen to "tv dinners track 8" oh man does it sound good and you get a visual as well ....... haven a few beers relaxing going through all my ZZ top album right now ......:D
:cool: " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
Post edited by Deadof_knight on

Comments

• avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Damn, all I have is Greatest Hits. Somewhere in the past, it was ganked! Man I would love to hear that album. I'll have to look for it the next time at the store.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • Deadof_knight
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Hell yeah the greatest hits albums is awesome !! I still need legrange cd

Denon 3300 Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Instead of using bass control it would be better to dial it to '0' or flat and turn up the power. Listening with the bass turned up can bottom out mid-woofers and damage them. Watching drivers can get addicting but they are meant to be heard. :D
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Hell yeah the greatest hits albums is awesome !! I still need legrange cd

Tres Hombres

ZZ Top spoken here.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Deadof_knight
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Allright there Polk , I assummed moderation as your guide...... but thanks for the advise Im sure someone out there definetely needs to know that ..... oops there I am assumming again.

Tres Hombres ...yea thats it !

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Yeah.. yeah.. A few times I hit the power button the next day and forgot to dial the bass down.
  • C J T
    C J T Posts: 127
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Eliminator CD sounds amazing. Before compression became the norm. The Greatest Hits does not sound as good, and I agree, Thug and TV Dinners are great tunes..

I know there is another thread on this but I really hope they solve this compression thing.

I just picked up the new Silversun Pickups album. Love the song "Lazy Eye" but the CD is so bloody loud. And once ripped to my Ipod, it is unlistenable.

And they wonder why CD sales are down? I would be buying far more if they did not sound like crap. Might as well just download it.

The new Linkin Park album is a bloody masterpiece. Why make it sound like crap?
    RTI 12 fronts
    RTI 8 rears
    RTI 6 sides
    CSI 5 center

HSU STF 3 sub
    Panny 42" plasma
    Denon 3805 receiver
    Behringer EP1500 amp
    Denon 2910 DVD
    Oppo 980H DVD
    Oppo HM-31 HDMI switcher
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Tone controls are for amateurs.

Get ZZ Top's Chrome, Smoke and BBQ.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Ok I will.

RT1
  • Deadof_knight
    edited June 2007
    Options
    well being that I'm out of town and have nothing to do I will have to search for this treasure of a cd , and when I install my 18''s I won't use the bass knob anymore

• F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    You wouldn't know real bass if you heard it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,098
    edited June 2007
    Options
    If you need a subwoofer for rock music on the 1.2tl - something is wrong.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    That's an interesting point. If there's a lack of bass with a recording without using a sub and you turn on your sub and now have bass, just where the eff is the bass coming from? You certainly can't make bass that isn't there, so by adding the sub into the mix, the only thing I can think of is that it's somehow overemphasizing the upper bass, which means you still don't really have any low bass from the recording.

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited June 2007
    Options
    ......nm
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2007
    Options
    My Head's in Mississippi. The Polk 15's love this one.
  • honda cber
    honda cber Posts: 267
    edited June 2007
    Options
    You certainly can't make bass that isn't there, so by adding the sub into the mix, the only thing I can think of is that it's somehow overemphasizing the upper bass, which means you still don't really have any low bass from the recording.

but it *is* there. especially on analogue recordings. frequency roll off... the proper boosting (by turning up a sub that is properly crossed-over for use with large speakers, for example) will make these frequencies audible. try it. i would guess that 20-30% of my vinyl collection has a very soft bass curve, and a little subwoofer output makes them sound great. the bass drum in an orchestra hit, the rumble of jack bruce's three or four marshall stacks, or the bass pedals on jimmy smith's organ... having been a musician for over 15 years who lived with and lugged a B3 and leslie around for four years--- you better believe a hammond is capable of thick, low bass that will shake the doors...

i suppose it is a matter of personal taste.

i will point out that i loathe most of the more recent cd recordings of popular music (as mentioned recently), and that the cd that one would get from my modest home studio would not be nearly as loud and distorted as any of those mainstream release. remember that not all labels destroy their music!!

a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • read-alot
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    Last night I was playing some Beyonce and the two following songs have way too much bass IMHO. With just the 1.2TL's and my Carver's @ 30 Volume it was deafening.

Burn these to CD and try it for yourselves:

http://38.161.195.8/Beyonce-ring_the_alarm.mp3

http://38.161.195.8/Beyonce-upgrade_u.mp3

Sal

I can't believe you would have this post in a thread about ZZ Top.

Who the hell am I trying to fool of course I do.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Back in the analog days, Everything had to be compressed to be put on an LP or tape. And the bass went along with it. I almost always have to add bass to older recordings that haven't been remixed. I don't like tone controls either but sometimes you just gotta.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    honda cber wrote: »
    but it *is* there. especially on analogue recordings. frequency roll off...

Frequency roll off on the source material would mean that the info isn't there.

President of Club Polk

• read-alot
    edited June 2007
    Options
    And what does this mean?, Did you read it back to yourself before you hit Sumbit reply?

It just means that Hell will Freeze before Beyonce gets played on my Polks.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • Deadof_knight
    edited June 2007
    Options
    haha I used the bass knob turned up by +6 on my denon 3300 and started this whole mess jeashhhhh been interesting reading...thats for sure old rock is missing alot of bass so I adds it back in and Im good with that . new recordings starting back when madonna came into town bass has been over done with everyones recordings, rock pop you name it and dont even get me started on hip hop recordings........JMHO

• Gary Batson
    Gary Batson Posts: 124
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I think the thread was about pumping up the bass for visual effect with, Umm,,,I think it was ZZ top TVdinners and Beer. I'm not sure. I just remember something about beer. I think I'll have one now. Or was it just about bass and Beachboys and beer. Or maybe just beer. Maybe it's a thread about beer!!! And what is Beyonce???
  • Deadof_knight
    edited June 2007
    Options
    HAHAHAA yup it was about Beer I think toooo Beyonce = BOOOTY= bass hers has got some bass allright damn!

• F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Sal, There really isn't much, other than the organ, in music that goes below 30Hz. As for the rest, I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I used the bass knob turned up by +6 on my denon 3300

No better way than that to damage your speakers.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited June 2007
    Options
    20HZ & 100HZ were just examples, it could have been 200HZ & 80HZ.

I knew that. ;)

President of Club Polk

• honda cber
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Frequency roll off on the source material would mean that the info isn't there.

that is just not the case...

for example, turn a subwoofer on without any other speakers. that sub will have a crossover slope of (probably) 12dB/octave (maybe more steep or less steep). but as you would clearly be able to hear, just because the crossover point is set at, say, 60hz, does not mean that nothing above 60hz will be reproduced. i am no mathematician, but i promise that with a 12dB/octave LPF at 60hz there is A LOT of info above the crossover point that is being produced. of course, you already knew that, and i am not intending to be insulting in any way. recordings are the same way, and yes, there is LOTS of sub 30hz stuff happening even in my meager studio, much less ones with $5000 mics and multi-million $ consoles. with vinyl in particular, recordings containing lots of low frequency info were ROUTINELY pressed with an attenuated low end, both to reduce distortion and to literally keep the reproduction styli from jumping the groove.

as i said, i intend this post to be argumentative, not condescending... i can site sources for my argument if you need them--- i have a small library of how-to's for recording and advanced recording techniques and "tricks" (you know, the pop-music-follow-this-formula book)...

a
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Jesse,

Couldn't the 20HZ material be recorded at 50% less volume than the 100HZ material in a particullar song?

If so, I would say that a sub that has a 400 Watt Amp would produce the 20HZ information at a certain Volume and the 2700 Watt Sub would produce it louder.

Or I'm Crazy?

Sal

Both: You're not always using the full 2,700W all the time. Most of the time a sub will only be pulling 20-40W on music so you shouldn't be seeing that much of a bass boost if everything is setup correctly. If it isn't setup correctly, or you're using HT content, then you'd notice a difference.

Honda:

If the bass isn't on the recording and you add a sub and the bass increases, something is seriously wrong with your setup. You should only output what is input and if no bass is input, no bass should be output.

If your saying the info is there, but muted for other reasons and your just correcting the recording engineers eff up then I get ya.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • honda cber
    edited June 2007
    Options
    the information *is* there, in most cases, though the equalization curve used in recording/mastering/printing may all but lose it below the noise floor (i.e. inaudible)...

i am sure no one here really thinks that a cd has NO EQ anywhere in the production process. even benchmark, holy-grail equipment (like neve channel strips an neumann mics) have less than "flat" frequency response, and some of those pieces have MARKED coloration. to oversimplify, a given recording media displays its full-band frequency response for a recorded signal, until the signal, or any part of it, falls below the noise floor of the medium. the digital noise floor is very low, if theoretically nonexistent-- but that doesnt account for noise in the studio, the studio's electronics or a/c, etc., etc...

the RIAA curve used for cutting vinyl has very attenuated bass, and a pretty well boosted high-end to boot. this reduces distortion, lengthens play time, and gives better s/n ratio. the theory behind this works somewhat like dolby NR--- the "negative" of the eq is applied to the reproduced signal (playback), thus theoretically "ending up" as the recording was mastered. unfortunately, there are flaws in the theory, mostly variation from record mfr's to each other and from one stereo to the next. yet another reason to buy an adjustable phono preamp.

to sum up this boring novel with my opinion:

"flat" reproduction may not be exactly the same as accurate reproduction, and there are countless factors which play in to that equation.

YMMV, and flame away.

a

p.s. apologies for any sort of thread hijack.
    gear list:
    1 down, 4 up....
  • Deadof_knight
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Zz Top sounds better with some bass added back in. Hey there F1 I was using my head while doing this, ZZ doesnt have much bass in that album so theres not much to worry about unless you turn the volume knob hmmm all the way up and hit the play button....... God knows you wouldnt do that sooooo hey chill there I would no way put the ole 1.2's in harms way I assure you !!!