edited January 2003 in Speakers
Hi All,

I'm in need of some advice.

Currently I have:

Marantz SR880 Receiver (8 ohms 110W)
Front Speakers Polk RT-600
Center Channel Polk CS275
Rear Channel Polk LS/FX
Subwoofer Polk early 200W (forget model #)

Anyway, although I have high end system (electrostatics, tubes, etc.) for serious music listening, I find myself listening to the surround system more and more these days. I'd like to upgrade the front speakers, the RT-600's with something that image better and are not so lean on the top end. To be honest, I was never really nuts about them. I'd like a fuller richer sounding pair of front speakers that would be nice with the present electronics, etc. that I have. Money isn't really an object here, but I'm open for mid to top price suggestions.

In the future, I'd be inclined to upgrade my current center channel and get a larger subwoofer, perhaps I would upgrade to another Marantz Receiver with more watts but that would be further down the road. I kind of like my LS/FX.

So getting to the point, my question is what would be a nice pair of front speakers, that would sound great for general music listening (i.e. rock) and could blend with my current setup temporarily until I upgrade the other components? Sorry this is a lengthy question.

Any help/suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Colleen
Post edited by debussyj on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited January 2003
    Options
    Well thats a hard question to answer.The rt600's aren't my cup of tea.The rti70's are a step up,and then the rti150's are top of the line for rt series.Now not saying these are the correct choice for you,but to match what you own currently,these are the logical choices.
    Now if your looking for a all around better sounding main speaker and want to upgrade all the speakers and electroincs meaning the Marantz,the Lsi series would need to be looked into.
    I firmly believe in matching all speakers.If a temp setup would be lets say you bought the Lsi15's and used what you own currently,well thats your choice,I wouldn't but alot do.Then pick up the center rears and a new preamp and amp or a flagship receiver,then your on your way.
    Wanna nice system to upgrade 2???here's what I see:
    B&K avr507
    Lsi15's
    LsiC
    LsiFX
    Sub of your choice.Mine would be Rel Storm III.
    Now for the cheaper alternative.Go listen to Rotel rsx1065,or if your room isn't that big, the rsx1055.Both will play a 4 ohm load all day and into the next one you buy.
    Looking for new mains huh.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.