Right SDA 1C problem

Options
Ron Temple
Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
edited June 2007 in Vintage Speakers
The day my HK died, I heard a pop...since my right speaker is about 6.5 dbs down...have swapped the CRS+s to the front and they are within a db and a 1/2, so I figure it's either a tweeter or the poly. Steve, suggested I swap in the SL2000s from the CRS+s to see...he gave me instructions, thanks. I sent him a question via PM, but it occurs that it might be faster here. There are 8 screws on each tweet...Steve said remove 4...which 4...inner or outer?

Thanks

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
PB13Ultra RO
BW Silvers
Oppo BDP-83SE
Post edited by Ron Temple on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2007
    Options
    outer
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Danka...:)

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2007
    Options
    hang on to the gaskets,,good luck :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Do they tend to slip???:eek:

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Swapping out the tweets (both of them) fixed the problem, but I am hearing some roughness. I'm wondering if something on the crossover is causing this. Guess I better open her up and check the wiring. Funny I put the replaced SL2000s back in the CRS+s...during auto-setup they sounded fine...watched a move tonight, but didn't pay attention to the surrounds

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Usually the tweeters or polyswitch give out before the crossovers. The Denon may just make it more noticeable.
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I've been crying the blues about the Denon...guess now I have to start listening again and give it a chance. There was a noticeable improvement...doh

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Get the RDO's :D
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Halo wrote: »
    Get the RDO's :D
    Yeah, I've decided to call on Tuesday :p

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Very :cool:

Your gonna love them :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    This morning I started in 2 channel...sounded off...turned off the system...turned on...ok, but I heard fuzzy mids on the right...thought about swapping drivers, but got suspicious so re-calibrated...down 6 dbs on the right again. Ok, started getting suspicious of the Carver cuz the tweets I put back in the CRS+ sound fine. Took the Carver out, re-caled and lo and behold, I'm back. I'm going to watch this rig now for awhile, but I think the amp's going back to Seattle.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I've called and emailed CCR, so it's going back to get worked on after my HK gets back. I've been playing around with the Denon driving the 1Cs and it's much better than I originally thought (once I rebalanced the system). It's capable of 135wpc @ 6ohms which is plenty to drive these guys.

Today I A/B'd the Denon against the Audiosource Amp/One which is very clean with nice warm detail. The Denon held it's own, maybe a bit more pop, edgier on the highs, taller and wider soundstage. I elected to put the Audiosource back on the fronts however...piano sounded better, warmer vocals and perhaps a touch more 3dimensionality (is that a word). The Denon doesn't play as nice with the SL2000s, but it was very close. I went back and forth at least 20 times and eventually decided I liked the warmer Audiosource sound a little more. My disappointment in the Denon receiver is no more. It's a nice piece...if it had a bit more control of the highs I'd probably keep it.

Luxman is coming over tonight...so we'll see about this one.

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Hopefully this is...

gremlins-last.JPG
  • Ron Temple
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Looks like the Adcom 555, black, no gain controls, 200wpc @ 8 ohm, 300 @ 4 ohms. First thing I noticed was the bass response. Listening to "Cafe Blue", I needed to turn the subs off which I did with the Carver, but this is another order of magnitude. Extremely strong bass response...the midrange seems pronounced with a huge soundstage at least 4' outside the speakers, tall and detailed, but maybe bulging a bit (don't know how to describe it). I think it masks some of the midrange detail I noticed with the Carver, maybe it's the midbass. Highs are warm and crisp, vocals very smooth. All in all, a very nice piece that makes the SDAs shine.

If CCR ever gets back to me...I'll get the Carver fixed and can do an A/B. Both amps have guts, but the Luxman delivers the bass while the Carver has more midrange detail, highs are about the same (that's what my memory tells me anyway) Both the Audiosource and the Denon alone, can't compete with the sheer power and presentation of this amp. Must weigh somewhere around 65 - 75lbs.

The gremlins are gone now...system sounds wonderful again :D

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • avguytx
    avguytx Posts: 1,628
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Call Rita at Sunfire and talk to her direct. She's told me SHE even has a hard time getting in touch with Mylinda sometimes! I have her direct number if you don't already have it. Just send me a PM.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?.................................Sinner.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Older Luxman and Nakamichi were some of the best Japanese gear around at the time, even rivaled many "American" made pieces. No surprise there Ron.

Have fun

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Ron Temple
    edited June 2007
    Options
    My friend dropped the manual by last night. It seems this amp is not from the "hifi" heyday prior to Alpine buying them, probably early 90's, but it's still a nice amp...they stole the "tubelike" marketing hype from Carver...it's in the manual :D . Definitely has some grunt.

200 @ 8
    400 @ 4
    700 @ 2

1000 bridged

3dbs headroom

65000u capacitance
    THD .03%
    Slew rate 20/uSec
    Damping factor - 130
    Peak - 150 amps
    52lbs (seems heavier)

12 massive transistors

The rest I don't understand...it's nice to have folks drop stuff off and help a brotha out when his **** breaksdown :D

Combo rig:

SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE