DB104 in a vented box...

Options
Chumley
Chumley Posts: 1
edited June 2007 in Car Subwoofer Talk
...are they designed for them? I have two DB104's in a vented box being pushed by a 200w x 2 Kicker amp...and they sound kinda distorted. Overall they sound well, but whenever they play a kick drum they produce a "thud" sound instead of the traditional "boom." Bass notes sound well, just the kick drums sound crappy. At first I was thinking they might needed to be broken in, but it's been almost 3 weeks with them being played every day at least a hour...so I don't know. Are they really made for sealed enclosures, or am I not running a strong enough sub/amp for the vented box? Thanks in advance!
Post edited by Chumley on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Kim wrote: »

Hey! Who are you?!

I didnt think they let you post here anymore! :D

As for the question - could be a couple things.

1- you may need a little more power. Kick drums need a lot of juice to reproduce the actual impact.

2- your ported box could be tuned to the wrong frequency.

Follow the diagram in the link Kim gave you and see if that works.

However, I recommend looking into going with a sealed box. They just always seem to sound better IMO.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2007
    Options
    What box dimensions would you use if you wanted to build a "home" model SR subwoofer?
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2007
    Options
    You could stick with the recommended specs. But if you wanted the flattest response, you can use the T/S parameters and this calculator to find the size.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D