Auto ON - OFF?

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
Ight, I hear people worrying about why their sub dosnt go in a 'idle' state. Well I don't really see the point of the auto on off, I mean my M&K dosnt even have this, its on ALLLLLLL the time. I find nothing wrong with it. Its obviously been on all the time for the past...what? 14 years? lol, Can someone answer why this feature is nessicary, and what does it do, and how do you benefit from it?
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    It makes the monthly electric bill a little bit lighter.
  • kberg
    kberg Posts: 974
    edited January 2003
    The only thing I can think of why it might be necessary to be on all the time vs. auto-detect is for those folks who listen to their "programs" at fairly low levels. If the sub is set to auto-detect, the signal might not be strong enough to trigger bass output, but if it's on all the time, then there's no problem.
    Mains: polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired)
    Center: polkaudio CSi40 (bi-wired)
    Surrounds: polkaudio FXi30's
    Rear Center: polkaudio CSi30
    Sub: SVS 20-39 PC+
    Receiver: ONKYO TX-SR600
    Display: JVC HD-56G786
    DVD Player: SONY DVP-CX985V
    DVD Player: OPPO DV-981HD 1080p High Definition Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI
    Remote: Logitech Harmony H688
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2003
    I'm not sure I want my sub on 24/7. I would say it may help the over all life of the sub. Does anyone make it a point to leave there reciever on 24/7? I'm guessing probably not. I think the auto off is a really cool feature.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited January 2003
    I agree with Scott here. For some people, getting to the subwoofer is a pain in the arse (behind the TV, in the corner) so turning it on/off isn't easy. Leaving it on all the time then you start to concern yourself with power consumption (you'll learn about this as you get older and have to worry about paying the electric bill, till then, it's on dad's hands) or reducing the life of the amp by having it constantly on. Not to say that having it on all the time will reduce the life of the component, but most products are designed with a operating life (usually number of hours) before a failure. I know if I leave my 404 on, the amp fins on the back are constantly warm (not hot, just warm) which in turn adds a heat load to my room (which cost more to air condition then) and also, overheating electronics will ALWAYS reduce the life on them.

The auto-on feature is really nice. Just sad that it took this long for someone to develop it.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • wlrandall
    wlrandall Posts: 440
    edited January 2003
    I disagree.

Even a full output, you're only looking at, for example, 100 W. The only part of this that is heat is from inefficiency, probably 5-10%. Even if it was all heat, 100 W is equal to only 32 BTU. Your average home A/C has a capacity of 36,000 BTU. This equates to a mere 0.09%! Hardly anything to worry about heating a room. Your hair drier will do it much, much quicker.

Another point is that if the sub is not working, it's not consuming energy except the power required by the electronic components alone, again the inefficiency is what's generating that warmth in the heat sink.

The argument about leaving it on constantly and reducing it's life is an eternal argument, but, I know from personal experience in some cases the opposite is true. Not an apples to apples comparison, but we have less than 5% of the computer problems that we used to by leaving them on 24/7. No more thermal cycling and surges every time you turn it on.

Just my 02.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    If there is absolutly no reason to turn electronics (subs) - then there would not be an OFF switch. Heat reduces life of electronics.
    Most likely a reason why there is an Auto Off. I'm sure it wasn't for $hits and giggles. :D
  • wlrandall
    edited January 2003
    EXCESSIVE heat kills, operating at normal temps constantly in a stable environment is much better than subjecting any electronic device to thermal cycling.

Guess you didn't know that components are designed and tested to be optimized at their normal operating temps? That's right, that processor in your PC and your receiver work BETTER when they're warm AND live longer. Same holds true for fets, caps, resistors, inductors, etc...

Switches are there just so you don't have to plug it in hot and arc the contacts in the outlet.

Wally
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Wow !!!!! I did not know that. Maybe I will just keep my car running all the time also. :lol: lol
    operating at normal temps constantly in a stable environment is much better than subjecting any electronic device to thermal cycling.
    Interesting argument but I will have to kill that also. Most mid to high end electronics have what is called a "stand by" mode. Even some subs - all of my components have this - some right next to the ON/OFF switch. This keeps the electronics from total power loss. Like a little electric blanket - if you will.:D
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited January 2003
    I agree with Wally for the most part, but I still suspect there are valid reasons for that auto on feature. Electronics are static, no wear and tear, just thermal aging, assuming it is not subject to spikes. There are numerous mechanical parts in a car that are subject to wear and tear, not a fair comparison (sorry I didn't notice your lol) I did notice the heat sinks of the 404 remained warm even after it had been off for a long time, so I think Scott is right, even when the auto on is not activated, the electronics are still partially on.
  • wlrandall
    edited January 2003
    This keeps the electronics from total power loss. Like a little electric blanket - if you will.:D [/B]

You realize you're arguing with me and not against me, don't you?? :p
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    Not arguing at all - telling ya how it is......
  • abmarsh
    abmarsh Posts: 109
    edited January 2003
    My two cents -

A cold amp can't sound the same as a warmed up amp. For you audio purists, leaving it on all the time will provide the best sound, although my ears probably aren't good enough to know the difference.

I've spent years around electronics equipment as a living. Gear is most prone to failure when lighting it off, not when it's run constantly.

I doubt having a subwoofer amp running constantly draws much current. A few cents a day, I'd say.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2003
    My B&W sub stays on, has stayed on, for almost 2 years. Didn't affect the util bill, no issues with performance.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    I keep my PlayStation 2 on all time.:D It's an extra 1cent a month but I can handle it.:D
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited January 2003
    Originally posted by scottvamp
    I keep my PlayStation 2 on all time.:D It's an extra 1cent a month but I can handle it.:D

How long have you been doing this? I did that with my first one, and it crapped out after 6 months. (refused to read disks)
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2003
    We had a thread before about the PS2. I have had mine on standby since I owned it and that would be the day it come out. I guess about 2 years ago. My youngest brother has gone through 2 of them already. Both my PS1 and PS2 operated with no problems since day one.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited January 2003
    Phuz,
    My PS2 is always on standby and after 2 years it stopped reading most discs I put in. Fixing it is very simple and fun. The problem is just the lens and electronic components inside having dust collecting over them. Take the system apart and use a can of compressed air to clean everything including the lens, snap everything back together and it's as good as new.

Maurice
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited January 2003
    :lol: lmaorof... :lol:
    Originally posted by phuz
    How long have you been doing this? I did that with my first one, and it crapped out after 6 months. (refused to read disks)
    We had a thread before about the PS2. I have had mine on standby since I owned it and that would be the day it come out. I guess about 2 years ago. My youngest brother has gone through 2 of them already. Both my PS1 and PS2 operated with no problems since day one.

Remember folks... for all your burning PS issues, Scott's your man... ;)

.. and to think I used to waste my nites on stuff like sleep, hunting **** and playing RollerCoaster Tycoon...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD