Dreaded truck subs

Options
zingo
zingo Posts: 11,258
edited June 2007 in Custom Fabrication
Ah yes, the problem with putting subs in a truck. Behind the seat would be nice, but that is where I keep my safety/recovery equipment. Under the rear seat only provides a few inches of clearance, and with no center console on front, not much to work with there either. However, since an F250 has such huge doors, what if I mounted a pair of 8s or 6s in/on the door? If I could box it correctly (possibly use a shallow mount sub), I feel like it might work. Has anyone heard of anything so crazy or have any gut feelings on the idea?
Post edited by zingo on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Why is it crazy? It's not crazy, I've seen it done before.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Build your self a custom center console for the front that is also a sub enclosure, you might be able to get away with an 8" or a 10", you could even put a cup holder or 2 in the top. Cover the whole thing in automotive grade carpet, and if you want to get fancy you could vinyl or formica the top.
  • zingo
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Thanks Dude. I've seen that design before, but I have the bench seat with the center console that flips up and down to make a third seat available.
    Jstas, I think I might pull my door panels today to install a pair of 5x7 dbs so I'll look at my door mount options.
  • dudeinaroom
    dudeinaroom Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2007
    Options
    I can only say one thing, Dynamat
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Make sure you take measurements with the windows down and up. The actuator arms and the actual window can get in the way. Also, don't rule out under the front seat either. You can get 8 inch subs that will fit under there in a small sealed box.

Also, check out Crutchfield. They have a slew of slim subs that might work out better for you. You could probably stuff a 10 inch slimline sub in the doors if it doesn't interfere with the window mechanisms.

Another thing. Keep in mind that you are going to sacrifice performance for space. The tighter teh install, the more of a compromise on speaker design you have to make. That will force you to make decisions on sub size, magnet size and cone shape which will mean that things liek frequency response, power handling and sensitivity will be affected. If you just want solid low-end reinforcement then you'll be fine. If you want big boom, you're going to be disappointed.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • zingo
    edited June 2007
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I installed two pairs of db 5x7 coaxs yesterday that sound great. I will keep playing around with the sub issue and see what might work.