11T crossover question

Options
riglehart
riglehart Posts: 276
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I'm putting new PolySwitches in my 11T (Thanks Ken!). On one crossover I noticed one of the big rectangular resistors has a huge brown spot in the center, like it got very hot. Is this normal, or does it surely need to be replaced. Maybe this is why the switch was opening.

I can't check it with an ohm-meter unless I remove it, since it is parallel with an inductor, I think.
Jolida Tube
Polk 11T, 7, 5, 5jr, 4
Standard equip not worth bragging about.
Post edited by riglehart on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,848
    edited May 2007
    Options
    That one is cooked, time to replace.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You might consider replacing it with a Mills resistor. Good luck and have fun.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You might consider replacing it with a Mills resistor. Good luck and have fun.:)

That would be ideal, but then if it were me I'd replace them all (in both speakers) with Mills and then why stop there. Rebuild the whole x-over. It seems by the pic you have to remove the caps on top anyways to get at the resistor

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!