Sda 1.2 Tweeter Problem, Crossover?

Options
2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Bypassing the polyswitches should only be done IF you have a high quality amp, never IF you have a receiver or AVR and only IF you don't get crazy with the volume levels. For most folks it's a good idea to leave them in there.

Ben is correct, Polk will send you, for free, the proper replacement polyswitches.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polk65
    Polk65 Posts: 1,405
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Something to think about while listening to the tweeters in your 1.2's is they do not all sound similar at the same time. One method to check them is at low to medium volume locate the loudest tweeter in your working cabinet. Turn off all power then remove one tweeter at a time from the other cabinet and test in the loud tweeter position of your working cabinet.

Polyswitches are tweeter protectors on the crossover. I've experienced them not help and a tweeter cooked (at insane volume), kick in then reset, kick in then not reset and the most annoying of all is when they only partially return from the dead. My RTA15tl right polyswitch went out like this and was at half volume after I stupidly powered them with a "100 watt" receiver.

Here is a link to a thread about 1.2's with photos of the polyswitch (click the photos to enlarge). At the center of each photo you will see a large yellow capacitor. Beneath it in one photo the polyswitch is blue and in the other it is yellow. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38281
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Polk65 wrote: »
    Something to think about while listening to the tweeters in your 1.2's is they do not all sound similar at the same time.

This is a good point. Polk uses whats called a cascaded taper array that has each tweeter with a slightly different output. Meaning they don't all play at the same volume. The idea (which works very well) is to use multiple tweeters to create a single point source. So don't get confused if all 4 tweeters are playing at different volumes, they are supposed to be that way. Beyond that my suggestion is to test each tweeter individually. My guess is that the polyswitch is bad. It's probably easier to replace the polyswitch first and if that doesn;t help then trouble shoot the tweeters and then the x-over, etc.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited May 2007
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Two small alligator clips and a short piece of 16 gauge wire, jump around the polyswitch and see if it makes any difference in the sound quality.

I had thoughts of suggesting this about 45 or so posts ago but I couldn't get a word in edge wise.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited May 2007
    Options
    read-alot wrote: »
    I had thoughts of suggesting this about 45 or so posts ago but I couldn't get a word in edge wise.

Next time just raise your hand :p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • read-alot
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I would but I'm afraid the post squirrels might bite it off.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    Options

hmmm that could be because you read-alot!
  • read-alot
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I take breaks from my reading to try and help guys who ask for it,
    Kenny has a problem and I was trying to help.

I feel sure had this thread not become so discombobulated we could have named that tune in less than ten posts.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I take breaks from my reading to try and help guys who ask for it,
    Kenny has a problem and I was trying to help.

I feel sure had this thread not become so discombobulated we could have named that tune in less than ten posts.

You're probably right but I've never seen that happen here.:)
  • read-alot
    edited May 2007
    Options
    You're probably right but I've never seen that happen here.:)

I know, back when I first started reading here there was not as many people posting just to be running up their post counts and it was a much better forum.
    It wasn't until I broke off one of my SDA2 posts a few years later in 03 that I joined and asked for help.
    I have been a member of the McGowan brothers Polk SDA forum for longer than I have here.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I know, back when I first started reading here there was not as many people posting just to be running up their post counts and it was a much better forum.
    It wasn't until I broke off one of my SDA2 posts a few years later in 03 that I joined and asked for help.
    I have been a member of the McGowan brothers Polk SDA forum for longer than I have here.

I could care less about my post count and never paid attention to it until it was pointed out to me. I participate and contribute to this forum.