Sda 1.2 Tweeter Problem, Crossover?

Options
KENCAD
KENCAD Posts: 10
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
I Am New To The Forum And Not Sure How This Works. I Have A Pair Of Sda-1.2's And My Left Channels Highs Are Virtually Out. I Contacted Polk And They Sent Me A New Tweeter To Try Out But It Didn't Work. I Have Switched Speaker Wires From Left To Right And The Problem Was Still On The Left. I Also Put Another Receiver On The Speakers To Make Sure It Wasn't My Amp Or Pre-amp. I Feel It Is My Crossover But Not For Sure. Can Any One Help?

Thanks, Kenny
Post edited by KENCAD on

Comments

• read-alot
    read-alot Posts: 812
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Do you have the IC cable hooked up?
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    My Cable Is Hooked Up.
  • read-alot
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Have you looked at where the tweets hook up to the crossover. Highly unlikely for all four to go out at the same time.
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I Have Already Tried Putting New Tweeters In The Left Side To No Avail.
  • read-alot
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Polyswitch
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Polk Audio Sent Me Only 1 Tweeter But I Tried It In All 4 Locations
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I Don't Understand
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I Haven't Tried The Bottom Post Because The Upper & Lower Post Are Linked
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Mids And Bass Response Is Great
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I Already Switched Speaker Wires And It Didn't Work. The Tweeters Are Working, But Sound Very Muffeled.
  • read-alot
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Polyswitch
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo

B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Is The Polyswitch Easily Fixed?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,874
    edited May 2007
    Options
    KENCAD, your posts are confusing to say the least. However, Read-alot has nailed your problem, you have a bad polyswitch. There is one on each crossover, replace both.

They are easy to replace as long as you can solder.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I am not sure about that "off/on only" on the polyswitch; to isolate your problem to tweeters/polyswitch, do as someone else said; install all your right tweeters in your left speaker; if they still sound muffled, it's the polyswitch; you can get a pair of them from Polk; as someone else also said, it's an easy swap if you can solder.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • KENCAD
    edited May 2007
    Options
    My Brother Is Looking For A Pair Of Pioneer Hpm-100's Or 900's. Does Any One Know Where He Could Get Any Instead Of E-bay?
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited May 2007
    Options
    In the Club Pioneer forum?

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,097
    edited May 2007
    Options
    KENCAD wrote: »
    My Brother Is Looking For A Pair Of Pioneer Hpm-100's Or 900's. Does Any One Know Where He Could Get Any Instead Of E-bay?

Perhaps the local dump or an indigent person's shopping cart. :D . Seriously, I have no idea why he would to listen to those, but check www.AudioKarma.org people on there seem to thinks they are worthy of something and might find some FS. :)

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited May 2007
    Options
    I have had bad poly switches that made the tweets sound bad, but still played. Order new poly switches from Polk. It is cheap, and easy if you can solder. They do effect all the tweets.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,654
    edited May 2007
    Options
    KENCAD wrote: »

He would probably get better sound out of Monitor 5's.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    F1nut,

I was told that the polyswitches are either on or off like a switch. His problem sounds exactly like mine, he says that the tweeters are playing but they sound muffeled. My1.2tl's had the same exact sound. after I swapped the tweeters i figured out that 3 to 4 of the tweeters were bad.

He has already swapped a brand new tweeter for the questionable ones (Polk Audio Sent Me Only 1 Tweeter But I Tried It In All 4 Locations), so that leaves only one conclusion, he has a bad polyswitch. The muffled sound that you and he think is coming from the tweeters is not actually coming from the tweeters, but is sound transfered from the mids.
    Right now I have 8 RDO198's and I never did anything to the polyswitches and everything sounds great!

I would strongly suggest you install new poly's as they degrade with age.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited May 2007
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Perhaps the local dump or an indigent person's shopping cart. :D .

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Two small alligator clips and a short piece of 16 gauge wire, jump around the polyswitch and see if it makes any difference in the sound quality.

Anyone have a pic to show our new Forum member with the problem on his SRS's???

I'll try to find a pic!
    Carl

• ben62670
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Here is what they look like.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=3

If they need replacing get them from Ken at Polk Audio.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • schwarcw
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Ah Ben, nothing to see!
    Carl

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2007
    Options
    When I upgrade my crossovers I am bypassing the polyswitchs. Screw them, they just screw up the signal quality anyway.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    BTW KENCAD welcome to the club!
  • ben62670
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Thanks
    Ben
  • schwarcw
    edited May 2007
    Options
    About the size of a dime, the original ones that I've seen are mustard colored.

Joe's right, bypass those things.
    Carl

• ben62670
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Lasareath wrote: »
    What size are the Polk ones?

It depends on what model speakers you have. Polk sends you the right ones for free. You just tell Ken what you have. Get them both while you are at it. I personally like fuses. They don't degrade. Hearing Impaired has the right idea if you are careful about cranking it up. Bypass them. Clipping is what generally kills tweets.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Hearing Impaired has the right idea if you are careful about cranking it up. Bypass them. Clipping is what generally kills tweets.

Whose he? Most amps have protection circuits. Plus if you are feeding you speakers with good clean power with plenty of headroom there is nothing to worry about.