Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited March 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Wes,
    That's pretty cool to see the two amps side by side (well almost). I can see subtle differences on the input board and the power supply boards are bigger. Those white ceramic things are resistors and I have no idea why there are so many. These amps are more similar than they are different, that's for sure.

Definitely lots of similarities.

I suppose John Curl just smoothed out the edges of an otherwise very good design to make a great one.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • louthewiz
    louthewiz Posts: 581
    edited March 2007
    :D Here is my little amp that has 150 wpc driving a pair of rt400 vintage polks!!:D
    My gear,
    Acer PH530 720P PJ
    100 inch Da-Lite Video Spectra screen
    Yamaha HTR 5790
    Toshiba HD-A3
    Denon 1600 dvd player with sdi out,
    DVDO iSCAN HD+
    Panasonic Dmr E-80H
    Dishnetwork HD pvr
    1 Audiosource amp300 150 wpc Fronts
    1 Audiosource ampone bridged 200 watts powering center
    1 Onkyo M-282 105 wpc amplifier sides
    polk cs400 center
    polk RT400 mains
    Polk mkII back surrounds,
    Polk FX300fxi dipole surrounds
    Velodyne DPS-10 sub
    Klipsch KSW-10 sub.:cool:
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2007
    Correct, the Mark II in relation to any HCA series from Parasound indicates John Curl work. That was when he started working/consulting for Parasound.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Those white ceramic things are resistors and I have no idea why there are so many.
    They are the emitter resistors for the output transistors.Each output transistor will have one.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited March 2007
    GV#27 wrote:
    They are the emitter resistors for the output transistors.Each output transistor will have one.

Not exactly. The emitter resistors are located on each output board. They are grey striped resistors, not the big white ceramics. The emitters can be seen in my closeup of the transformer. On my 2200ii, the big white ceramics are all attached to the power supply boards. I haven't taken the time to look at the schemetic and figure out their purpose yet.

EDIT: I was wrong about the white ceramic things. I looked at the schematic and then again at my pictures. Those are not resistors at all, they are film caps. All part of the power filtering.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Systems
    edited March 2007
    billbillw wrote:
    Not exactly. The emitter resistors are located on each output board. They are grey striped resistors, not the big white ceramics. The emitters can be seen in my closeup of the transformer. On my 2200ii, the big white ceramics are all attached to the power supply boards. I haven't taken the time to look at the schemetic and figure out their purpose yet.
    OOOPS my bad,:confused: I was looking at louthewiz amp pic and mistaked it for the parasound.His uses ceramics for the emitter res.
    The ones connected to the filter caps in yours are probably to help discharge the caps after turn off or are used in combo with a small cap to shunt hi frequency noise.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2007
    I-SIG wrote:
    Y'all,

Here's the insides of my Parasound HCA-2200.

Notice the massive stacked torodial trannies and dual sets of caps.

Everything else seems pretty bread & butter, just on a bigger scale. :D

Anyone know where I can get some nice metal binding post nuts to replace the crappy plastic ones that are breaking? I'm gonna post this question in another thread since this one is way looooong.

ETA: Seems like the MkII has almost double the little white, ceramic looking things that are part of the output sections. That and the switches for un/balanced seem to be the only non-cosmetic differences that my untrained eye can see. ***BTW, my 2200 is SDA-safe.***

Wes

Wow Wes those pics exude power!!!
  • billbillw
    edited March 2007
    I looked back on the schematic for my HCA-2200ii. Those big white "ceramic" looking things in I-SIG's and my amp are film caps, not resistors. That's what happens when you just don't look close at something.
  • speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited March 2007
    PolknPepsi wrote:
    Man, this is one fascinating thread..........:cool:

I concur!
  • I-SIG
    edited April 2007
    Parasound HCA-1000 pics coming tonight!

Wes

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    I-SIG wrote: »
    Parasound HCA-1000 pics coming tonight!

Wes

I can't wait in that I never opened mine up.
  • I-SIG
    edited April 2007
    Y'all,

Here's the happy snaps of the interior and **** of the Parasound HCA-1000A. It's like a mini-single transformer 2200, kinda.

Wes

• hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    Y'all,

Here's the happy snaps of the interior and **** of the Parasound HCA-1000A. It's like a mini-single transformer 2200, kinda.

Wes

Gee what a coincidence, mine looks just like that except for the S/N.
  • billbillw
    edited April 2007
    Y'all,

Wes

Actually looks just like the inside of an HCA-1500a, but smaller everything. The layout is almost exactly the same.

See Gator's post here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=532815&postcount=257
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2007
    billbillw wrote: »
    Actually looks just like the inside of an HCA-1500a, but smaller everything. The layout is almost exactly the same.

See Gator's post here:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=532815&postcount=257

Well now that I've seen that I want that one instead!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited April 2007
    Beefy Class A amplification that I don't own :mad: .

Pics 1 & 2 Threshold 400A stereo amps
    Pics 3 Threshold One Mono amp.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • speakergeek
    edited May 2007
    Found this shot of a VSX49TXi Elite online. Pretty decent innards really...
  • speakergeek
    edited May 2007
    louthewiz wrote: »
    :D Here is my little amp that has 150 wpc driving a pair of rt400 vintage polks!!:D

That Audiosource amp looks real solid there.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited May 2007
    Here's a few pics of my Marsh A400. It's got the biggest transformer I've seen -- about 6 in. in diameter and about 4 in high. The blue caps are 15,000 uF capacitance each.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    Early B. wrote: »
    Here's a few pics of my Marsh A400. It's got the biggest transformer I've seen -- about 6 in. in diameter and about 4 in high. The blue caps are 15,000 uF capacitance each.

That's purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrty...I like the simple look of the faceplate....
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited May 2007
    The biggest transformers Ive seen were in UNC's amp - the Anthems.

Talk about BEAST.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited May 2007
    Nice design in the amp.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Systems
    edited May 2007
    Just dug this out of storage today.It as Nelson Pass diy Mosfet design that I built several years ago and no longer use.It is a good sounding unit with the mosfets imparting a tube like quality.I put the transformer in a separate case to avoid induce any AC hum. I guess I better find it a new home instead of letting it collect dust.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Just dug this out of storage today.It as Nelson Pass diy Mosfet design that I built several years ago and no longer use.It is a good sounding unit with the mosfets imparting a tube like quality.I put the transformer in a separate case to avoid induce any AC hum. I guess I better find it a new home instead of letting it collect dust.

Nice looking piece, good work.
  • Systems
    edited May 2007
    Nice looking piece, good work.
    Thank you.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited May 2007
    GV#27 wrote: »

Real nice DIY stuff GV, thanks for posting it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Systems
    edited May 2007
    Thanks doro.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • brijenjas
    brijenjas Posts: 311
    edited June 2007
    Got my Emotiva UL combo about 2 weeks ago, but the processor was DOA.
    Here's some pics pf the LPA-1 amplifier.
  • THX 3417
    THX 3417 Posts: 219
    edited June 2007
    With a title heading like this I could hath sworn it was a **** video flick thread.:D

I guess titles for threads is getting harder and harder to come up with?

So its about an amplifier and what’s under the bonnet so to speak hay? Well I’d like to get the lid of my Alesis RA300 for a few picture takings?

Looking at the above post I’m wondering what is the cost of the amplifier unit (LPA-1) looks costly and the best ways or solutions for better home cinema is via active crossover. And seeing there’s six amplifiers onboard the (LPA-1) and yes I know its designed for a 6 channel LCR left and right and centre back surrounds!
    But what is the cost? It would be great if you can install a few of these one for LCR active crossover for the fronts one more for the surround channel arrays including (height surrounds overhead) yeah I bet you haven’t got height surrounds.

And one more for the sub bass arrays! Its best to use the same amplification for all loudspeakers arrays just like how they do it in the professional THX cinemas!:p

Don’t bother with active powered sub bass units there a waste of time, use passive cinema 18" types and with a little ingenuity a few DCX2496 you can have a one hell of a home cinema sound system that would surpass your last home cinema sound system.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited June 2007
    Got my Emotiva UL combo about 2 weeks ago, but the processor was DOA
    Well, I see your problem... you've got a quarter in there that must've shorted something out! ;-)