Chicagoland Polkfest '07 - Official Thread

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
Official Dates are Fri. May 18th, Sat. May 19th, & Sun. May 20th, 2007

Please don't post here. This thread is for informational purposes only! :)

Mike & I will be posting updates WITHIN THIS THREAD as they become available.

We are set for the Chicagoland Polkfest! Paul Di Como & Al Ballard have made it official and I’m pretty sure both will be in attendance – they are stoked and happy to see the Polkfests spreading out!

Mike (MikeC78) will be hosting the event so if you have any questions after reading what’s listed below feel free to e-mail him: cvetanma at yahoo.com.

The fest will be taking place in Bloomington, IL. This is about 2 hours south of Chicago. Zip code is 61704.

Four airports are available if you plan on flying in and are listed according to proximity: I'm sure car rental can be handled @ the airport of your choice.

Plenty of hotels close to the event:
MikeC78 wrote:
There are several hotels close by. Anything off of "Veteran's Parkway" will be your best bet.
http://www.bloomingtonnormalcvb.org/

http://bloomington.citysearch.com/

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-475488-bloomington_il_vacations-i

If you are planning on bringing gear I am handeling the gear list. Email me: peersool at hotmail.com (don't post it here & don't send me a pm - my pm box is full and its too hard too keep track of all this in pm's & email so I'm sticking w/ email)

Head count is around 13 so, as of now, so if you are interested in attending (aside from those listed) or if you are listed & can't make it please let me know ASAP. Also if anyone is going to be attending with you please let us know. Those of you who are on the list but didn't contact myself or Mike are listed in red.
  1. Halo + 2
  2. a_mattison + 1
  3. HTrookie
  4. heiney9
  5. McLoki
  6. opus
  7. SCompRacer
  8. dkg999
NO SHOW / NO CONTACT
  • Shizelbs
  • ND13
  • zombie boy 2000
  • polksda
  • Wodom1
  • riglehart
  • swerve

Our gracious hosts will be providing food & drink. Let him know if you have any restrictions or food allergies. Expect standard fare like Burgers, hot dogs, italian sausage, bratwurst. Stuff that can be prepared on the BBQ grill. You are welcome to BYOF or BYOB.

Its going to be a great weekend! I'm looking forward to meeting all who attend, kicking back, relaxing, & have some fun. Hope you are too!

Big thanks go out to TroyD & Mark (dorokusai) for their help! :):):)
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
Post edited by halo on

Comments

• MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2007
    Options
    Victor-

Very impressive, well done!:)

All-

If anyone has any questions on the logistics, please feel free to email or PM me. All gear questions, please ask Halo. For the most part you can ask anyone of us, you'll more than likely get an answer.(Victor knows more than me);)

Ok, now for the food and drink...

I'm going to be shopping at Sam's club(No Costco), If anyone has a preference or has any known allergies, PLEASE let me know! I'm going to be purchasing the basics...Burger's, Hot Dog's, Brat's, etc... I'm more than likely going to be getting a keg of brew, any preferences please let me know! Otherwise, you guys will be drinking Keystone or maybe Old Millwaukee?:eek:

Looking forward to hosting this great event!

Mike
  • MikeC78
    edited March 2007
    Options
    Lodging-

If you guys are worried about hotels in any "bad areas" around here, there really isn't any. If you have a certain preference of hotels you should be good? If you guys find something your are interested in, I'll be more than happy to go check the place out for you. Just let me know. This is really a quite, college oriented town. Here is a link on hotels in the area:

http://local.yahoo.com/results;_ylt=Ar4j3WueREMF9UlzxkuLuLeGNcIF?stx=Hotels&csz=Bloomington%2C+IL+61704

I can recommend one hotel really close by me. This is the only one I ever used and it was right after our wedding a couple years back, it's the Radisson, changed the name to the "Double Tree". Really nice and offered free limo service back and forth to any destination when available. It was also pretty reasonable, I think I paid $90 a night and that included the continental breakfast and the limo service! Nothing cheap by any means, but it's definetly nice. There is also a TGI Friday's connected to it. Had a nice fireplace in the room, along with a jacuzzi and TV in the bathroom.

Here is a link:

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AmyEOjxHLvEd6jr97UgIOKuHNcIF?id=17541687&state=IL&city=Bloomington&stx=Double+tree+hotel&csz=Bloomington%2C+IL+61704&fr=yfp-t-501&ed=QzuSqK131DxT86zBYctY62NBrHx1aMFscTjP0ytZ.4NTvYxkSpU-&lcscb=

BTW,

Anything off of Empire Road East and Veteran's Parkway South will be the closest to my place. I'll scope out the different hotels and report back later, stay tuned...

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=AqdpLkn5lA70dPUqHoC4JJuHNcIF?id=17541766&state=IL&city=Bloomington&stx=Hotels&csz=%5B2056-2098%5D+Empire+St+Service+Rd+Bloomington%2C+IL+61704&fr=yfp-t-501&ed=xgGv4K131DyNUAOT_xiJlOOfVUxdNV02qF0H8PEZ8whK5I2KIkIlpMqInlTnGZS_eZHYMLmcRSFwslnI7n5jHVVR8kCLSlrE&lcscb=

This place is really close, maybe 2 miles tops from the house. It is a brand new hotel that just popped up recently, looks nice?

If I get enough people interested to stay in one Hotel, I can probably get a good group rate and maybe a military discount? For those who are interested, please let me know!

Rental Vehicles-

I'm working on a few angles, bear with me on this one! I'm currently working out a few "drug deals" aka networking.;)

For those flying in or need a quick pickup, I'll be able to pick people up in my nice and spacious van. Just let me know!

Stay tuned while I gather more info...

Mike
  • halo
    edited March 2007
    Options
    There will be three different main rigs including Mike's kick a$$ LSi HT set up which is as follows:

HT RIG:
    • Panasonic Plasma TH-50PHD8UK
    • LSi15- mains, LSi15- surrounds, LSiC - Center, 2 SVS PCU's subs.
    • Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system
    • Sony PS3, Toshiba XA2 HD DVD,
    • Pioneer VSX-74TXVi
    • 2 MPA 3250's
    • PC and PS - 2 SSHTPS 7000's
      2 SSAVS 2000's

#2 & #3 will be revolving 2 channel rigs

Preamps:
    • VTL TL2.5 Tube Pre
    • ModWright SWLP Tube Pre
    • Audio Research SP16 Tube pre
    • NAD T163
    • Nakamichi CA-5

Speakers:
    • SDA 1C's (MOD)
    • Monitor 10's
    • LSi 9's
    • LSi 7's
    • RTi6's
    • Von Schweikert VR-2's
    • InnerSound Eros MK II ESL's
    • EPOS ELS-3
    • TAD / Aural Estatz Studio Monitors

Sources:
    • Nottingham Space Deck TT
    • Jolida JD100
    • Sheng Ya S-10CS (MODS by McAlister Audio)
    • ModWright Platinum Tuth modified Sony 9100ES
    • Bada HD-22
    • Raysonic CD128

Amps:
    • (2) Sanders Sound Systems ESL Amps
    • InnerSound Crossover Amp
    • TAD-60 Tube Amp
    • Sonic Impact t-amp
    • Cinepro 3k6
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • MikeC78
    edited March 2007
    Options
    People,

STOP crapping up this thread!!:cool: If you guys have any info, EMAIL myself or Victor(Halo).

Thanks,

Mike
  • MikeC78
    edited March 2007
    Options
    All-

We have an issue booking rooms on the original planned date due to a VERY large convention?:rolleyes: (Absolutely NO vacancy anywhere) So, I've found a reasonably priced hotel close by with large availability at this time. (May 18th-20th)

Extended Stays America
    1805 S Veterans Parkway
    Bloomington, IL 61702

PH# (309) 662-8533

These guys aren't offering any group discounts, but if you visit www.hotels.com you can find rates for as little as $49.95 a night depending on room.

Mike
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2007
    Options
    I will attend; I will take Friday off, do a few things in the morning and head to IL around noon; will be there around 5ish.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

EDIT: Sorry..I swear I thought I was posting in the "other" thread :(:(

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • MikeC78
    edited March 2007
    Options
    All-

Whomever is interested in renting a car/van for the weekend, please let me know ASAP!

BTW, If anyone has a preference for food and drink please let me know! Otherwise, I don't want to hear anyone complain!

Thanks,

Mike
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited April 2007
    Options
    sorry i just read not to post.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MikeC78
    edited April 2007
    Options
    All,

I can't believe it, but the PF is almost here!!:) :) About a month left until the big date!!!

So, I'm assuming NOBODY has any restrictions/allergies on food or drink since I have received 0 emails??

Like posted above, food will be basic standard fare grill food, and a surprise from Opus.;) You are more than welcome to bring whatever your heart desires also.

See you all very soon...

Mike
  • halo
    edited April 2007
    Options
    Hi everybody!

Normanality has been generous enough to allow SCompRacer the use of some equipment for the fest. Unfortunately he will, most likely, not be able to attend in person. I also wanted to mention that Signal Cable is on board with us for this event and Frank will be supplying us with all the cables for the 2 channel rigs. This is all out of pocket for Frank and he is also supplying cables for the lone star audio fest.

Whether or not you attend a Polkfest or an audio fest please understand that Frank has always taken good care of Polkies so please be sure to repay that!

If at all possible, please send Normanality & Signal Cable a small note of thanks for their generosity.

Thanks!
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2007
    Options
    What I want to know is, how come Richie isn't on that list????
  • halo
    edited May 2007
    Options
    Unfortunately neither Paul nor Al will be able to attend the PF.

They have offered those who attend some very nice items.

Everyone who attends will recieve a Polk Audio shirt.

"Polk" Paul DiComo has made a very generous donation and asked that it be raffled off for charity. So, an I-Sonic will be raffled off at the Chicagoland PF.

For those of you who don't know, I have Multiple Sclerosis so, I asked Paul if it would be all right with him if we give the proceeds from the raffle to the MS society. He thought it was a great idea.

Raffle tickets will be $20. each. The I-Sonic retails for $599 so for $20 and a 1 in 10 - 15 chance of winning this is a no brainer.

Thanks Paul!