What are these worth?

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
edited May 2007 in Vintage Speakers
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230130002912&rd=1&rd=1

These may go cheap with that fancy air flow hole cut into them.

Question is what should be my max bid? Factor in $30-$48 for gas depending on which vehicle I take.

Rock on!

G
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
Post edited by gwh on

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2007
    "Also, I drilled a 2- to 3-inch hole in the back for air flow"

Dumbsh*t................................... :rolleyes:
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited May 2007
    I wouldnt touch that with a 10 foot pole unless you want the drivers.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Loud & Clear
    Loud & Clear Posts: 1,538
    edited May 2007
    The nice thing about these is that they already come with airflow, which will save you the time of drilling holes in them to create airflow.

Two Channel Setup:

Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 2-3
    Integrated Amp: Krell S-300i
    DAC: Arcam irDac
    Source: iMac
    Remote Control: iPad Mini

3.2 Home Theater Setup:

Fronts: Klipsch RP-160M
    Center: Klipsch RP-160M
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12NSD (X 2)
    AVR: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
    Blu Ray: Sony BDP-S790
    TV Source: DirecTV Genie
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited May 2007
    GAWD..................people are so 'effing stupid. He says they sound as good as the day he bought them. What a putz.....how could they after drilling a hole in them. Perhaps he should drill a 2-3" hole in his head to let the stupidity flow out.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2007
    If he played them loud and proud, then I would be worried about the drivers being trashed without the air cushioning of the sealed enclosure. I would think it would be easy to over-extend the drivers.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited May 2007
    What a shame, those look so nice too....
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    edited May 2007
    dkg999 wrote: »
    If he played them loud and proud, then I would be worried about the drivers being trashed without the air cushioning of the sealed enclosure. I would think it would be easy to over-extend the drivers.

BINGO
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • WolfKiyoshi
    WolfKiyoshi Posts: 96
    edited May 2007
    wow....he drilled a.. a hole in them? *passes out kleenex* :( poor speakers *cries*
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited May 2007
    It's just an upgrade that lets you FEEL that bass. All the cool kids are doing it.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    Question is what should be my max bid?

I think you have your answer.

I told my wife about this (since we have a pair of M10's), and her response was "If Polk thought they needed a hole, there'd be one already."
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited May 2007
    heiney9 wrote: »
    GAWD..................people are so 'effing stupid. He says they sound as good as the day he bought them. What a putz.....how could they after drilling a hole in them. Perhaps he should drill a 2-3" hole in his head to let the stupidity flow out.

H9

LOL
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    I love this seller! This was my favorite line: "Bought in 1987, these $300-a-piece speakers still sound just as good as when they bought them, according to my mom."

So, 20 years later, and still likely living with mom up in Oklahoma. Not a big shock he's re-engineered an already great product by adding "air holes." Matt Polk, guess you missed the ball on that one! Few air holes, and you would've sold millions more of these.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited May 2007
    I wonder what the box is tuned to now with the new port? 18hz?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited May 2007
    What a waste. I wouldn't pay $20 for them. Sounds like some of the drivers or PRs have holes poked in them, plus the cabs are ruined by the hole for "air flow". You can often get nice Monitor 10 for around $100. Hold out for them.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2007
    What? He let out all of the fluid coupling. If you have some NOS fluid coupling and a cork, you should be good to go.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited May 2007
    I have a supply of special audiophile grade fluid coupling. I'll let a couple of bottles go for $65 each :rolleyes:
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • tom t
    tom t Posts: 543
    edited May 2007
    make the hole bigger and stick ports in there. then you can have a ported speaker.
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited May 2007
    tom t wrote: »
    make the hole bigger and stick ports in there. then you can have a ported speaker.

With a PR, yeah, that should work:cool:
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • NicciAdonai
    NicciAdonai Posts: 5
    edited May 2007
    Ha! Alright guys, I am aware that I have reached new heights of stupidity. Thanks for all the congratulations. I'll just copy and paste my reply to Mr. He's-a-Dumb****:
    ______
    LOL I guess I didn't know what I was doing. I asked a friend for advice and was working off what he said. I was trying to "fix" the bass in my video games, but after reading the forum I suspect it was the low-end amp or the room acoustics. I already responded to a similar question but at that time decided not to post the reply; I am selling these for my parents and was trying to be a good salesperson. Looks like I could have saved both of us some humiliation. The first guy that I responded to did mention patching the hole? Or you could discard the cabinet and take the speakers. I don't know... I'm not an audiophile, if you haven't noticed, and I'm not asking the dude who I thought was one. Yes I'm blaming it all on him!!!
    ______
    And without further ado, let uninhibited flaming ensue! Now, if I can just decide whether to save this page to favorites, thus learning to laugh at myself, or never look at it again, thus salvaging fragments of my pride.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited May 2007
    I have to give it to him... that guy's got mad sack for posting.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited May 2007
    It takes a big man to laugh at himself in a situation like this where you have been mercilessly flogged. Stick around you might actually like it here. We are a bunch of relentless arse's sometimes, but most of the time it's in good fun. Don't take things too personally and you'll do just fine.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited May 2007
    Dude, I told you I loved this guy. He can take a licking and keep on posting. I hope he comes and joins Polk Forum as a regular, if only to be a constant yet resilient punching bag for all of us "know it all members."

Honestly, if Polk_Audio_Lsi had come up with a rebuttal like this guy's, wouldn't we have a 10 page thread commending him on standing up to the ribbing?
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    Had no ports to hide his **** in so he had to make one? Who on the forum did that again...

Depending on how well the hole was cut I don't see it being that tough to fix. It was a stupid thing to do but hey, we all started somewhere (others off to a rough start). Stick around Nicci and I'm sure you'll learn a lot! Don't worry the flaming will stop soon enough ;)
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited May 2007
    I bet those Monitor 10's really appreciated the air holes. They must have been suffocating with all that stale air inside of them. It probably really relieved all the work that 10" passive radiator had to do too.
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2007
    I'm impressed that he didn't come in here six guns a blasting, telling everyone how stupid we all are, and how much better they sound with a rear port. I'm surprised he bothered to respond at all. Definitely a good sport.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    edited May 2007
    Welcome to the forum NicciAdonai.
    Since your now a member, let's talk about my Club Polk discount.:D

G
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2007
    Hey, I guess he wasn't a dumbsh*t afterall, simply a misguided-****............l stand corrected.:D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited May 2007
    Calling the kettle black there, Las?
  • NicciAdonai
    NicciAdonai Posts: 5
    edited May 2007
    Thanks, y'all. It's nice to know the hardcore tech segment is not so cynical that they cannot be reasonable. And you did a good thing in giving a guy his dignity back... after he pretty much begged, but hey! I'll quite possibly be back if I have a question about speaker placement or good insult ideas.

I have to say that the drivers do NOT have holes poked in them as one poster posted. The bubbles (I'm sure I'll be enlightened as to the correct term) in the middle of the cones had been dented. My mom stuck some duct tape to them and pulled it off, and that was sufficient to take out most of the dent, though I know what the power of suggestion alone can do to your sense of, "Wow these speakers ROXORz."
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited May 2007
    Now if this hole was an exact fit with the hose coming from your vacumn cleaner and you reversed the hose so it blew air instead of sucking.....
    You could TURBO CHARGE those babies and really put out some bass power.

it always starts with a simple plan,

-Luc

"Also, I drilled a 2- to 3-inch hole in the back for air flow"

Dumbsh*t................................... :rolleyes: